Software
Houzz Logo Print
eric_wa

Sweet Corn

20 years ago

Hello Everbody,

I bought 1/2 pound of "Sugar Dots" sweet corn. I've not had much luck in the past growing corn. My biggest problem is germination. How may of you start your corn indoors? I'm thinking of buying deep cell plug trays. Filling them with soiless mix. Maybe also use bottom heat. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Eric

Comments (5)

  • 20 years ago

    Looks like its time to move on. The average reply seems to be 2 to 3 at best. People here only want to talk about the weather or flame weeders. Carry on.

    Eric

  • 20 years ago

    Hi Eric,

    I also grew Sugar Dots last year, although germination and growth was a bit slow (remember how cool it was!). Unfortunately the raccoon got most of them that matured. I am growing a different variety this year but I will also start in flats since I saw a local nursery that sells corn seedlings. I would agree that corn likes some bottom heat and I will likely start them about 3-4 weeks before planting out. I've also found that corn does not keep well after one year so make sure you always have fresh seed.

    Good luck!
    Tatiana in Victoria

  • 20 years ago

    My neibour here in Portland grows the most amazing corn every year and has done for the last thirty years, apparently. He sows directly into the ground (3 per hole) but he never does it before June 1st. They seem to be slow to start but the next thing i know the tassles are poking above the back fence.

  • 19 years ago

    I know this is a season 'late' (2007 vs 2006) but still the infomation might help. We're located on the Hood Canal between Silverdale & Seabeck. We've had good luck with transplanted corn here--last year in particular.

    I'd encourage you to grow seedlings. I eraser-end pencil push 2 seeds per "deep-fat" six cell 6-pak or 2 seeds in each corner of a 2 1/2 to 4 inch plastic pot. I prefer the 6-pak because I don't have to pull the roots apart @ planting.

    My guess is that with the cool temps we have that the stress isn't all that great one way or the other. That is to say, if you don't have enough "recycled garden center" 6-paks go with pots.

    You'll probably need some heat (75F ñ5 degrees) and light to get them started.

    I generally make 2 plantings--ie seed 2 weeks apart (May 10ñ and 25ñ), get the transplants in the ground by June 15th or so. I'll "harden" them off for 7-10 days before transplanting (first couple of days in mixed shade-sun then full sun for the last couple of days.) Watchout for slugs/or sprinkle some bait over the seedlings. Your call.

    I make a point of always transplanting into a wet hole (pint or so.) I can't stress this enough--for all plants, really.

    While I grew up with herbicides/pesticides..commercial fertilizers (midwest farmer's market gardening)..the only thing I'll use on the corn is water and a pinch (small tablespoon) of 10-10-10...(then irrigate as necessary.)

    The fertilizer can go directly in the planting hole+topped-off with the pint of water...or as a (later) side dressing..a couple of weeks later. Use a small stick/bloom handle--finger is good..a couple of inches down/drop what ever you have into the hole..the roots will find it.

    If you don't want to use fertilizer (of any kind although I suggest you do..I like dark green plants), that'll work too. Just be ready to live with light green corn plants...corn will taste about the same one way or the other.

    One advantage of transplanted corn (assuming you plant into clean/weed free ground) is that you won't have to weed per se. I like to snap the "suckers" (bottom side shoots..leave one main stem.) It's hand and knees work but as good a place as any to pray on the job.

    I like to seed/plant 4 varieties in each batch..a couple of 8-10' rows each (3 6-paks/variety.) There are only 2 of us and not all that many neighbors that are serious about a garlic-sweet corn diet.

    We can generally count on corn from the first of August through the end of September..about 5 weeks less than in So Ill.

    Oh yes: lesson learned folks around here seem to have a love affair going with deer. A good 7' deer fence, I've found, is a must...keeps the pesky raccoons out as well.

    Hope this helps.

    ted

  • 19 years ago

    >People here only want to talk about the weather or flame weeders.He says after waiting one day for replies. I'd like the forum to be more active too, but come on!

    Post, everybody, post! Keep it going. Goooooooooooo team!