Software
Houzz Logo Print
bejoy_gw

Deer problems

19 years ago

Have any of you used the "Deer Off® Repellent" successfully in areas where deer are permanent residents? I live on a tiny island and the deer are everywhere. They eat everything outside fences and seem to be geniuses at getting inside fences too. Any info will be helpful. I have tried other spray on products but the constant rains just made those very impractical as well as expensive over time. I like the deer..just kind of tired of their destructive natural habits right now. They destroyed yet another flower bed of 'deer proof' plants.

Thanks for any info you have on this challenge.

Comments (15)

  • 19 years ago

    Our deer browsing isn't as extensive as it might be on an island - this year only occasionally, year before we had to shoo them away just to be able to mow lawns, doe with fawn and yearling tagging along literally claimed this block. :)

    I alternate Bobbex repellent with Plantskydd, neither has to be reapplied after rain - have you tried either of those? I haven't had them browse on anything that's been treated including their favorite roses...

  • 19 years ago

    OH..Thank you morz8!! No, I have not yet tried those repellents..but I will! Where do you get them?

    Thanks so much!!!!!

  • 19 years ago

    I've used Plantskydd out here in the Cascade foothills for the deer and elk herds that are everywhere. It does seem to work during the summer. The elk seemed to stay away this past spring, summer and fall. I applied it again in late fall, but they did come nibble on some of my evergreen shrubs over the winter. Maybe I should have applied it one more time during the winter. But, you need to find a time that it's not going to rain for 24 hours and that's hard to do around here in the winter! :)

    I've never tried Bobbex. Do you think alternating the two keeps them guessing?

    There are many places online you can buy Plantskydd. I normally get the 2lb box of dry powder from Littlegreenhouse.com. They have pretty good prices. You can also sometimes find it on Ebay for a good deal.

  • 19 years ago

    I don't have deer around constantly, but when they do come they come with an appetite. I use Deer Out. It doesn't have to be applied after every rain. It has mint and garlic and the mint odor stands out. This will be my 3rd or 4th year of using it and it still keeps them from eating my plants.I get the concentrate and it lasts more than one growing season for me.

  • 19 years ago

    I've been getting the Plantskydd from GardensAlive.com, using those infamous $25 off $50 order coupons that are offered several times a year....

    Bobbex from Country Gardens, the 32 oz concentrate lasts a year for me, spraying 17 large shrub roses, delphs, perennial geranium (deer especially seem to like those from the former Heronswood :)), columbine, azaleas, more.

    I haven't tried either product on raspberries though, being afraid they might flavor the fruit and our deer LUV those raspberries. Does anyone know?

    Here is a link that might be useful: Bobbex

  • 19 years ago

    Maybe it's time to release some of their natural predators such as wolves, cougars or saber toothed tigers in the area. After all, biological controls are rapidly becoming more popular in controlling insect pests.

  • 19 years ago

    I have tried them all. The only thing that has worked for years...is an electric fence with strips of aluminum foil painted with peanut butter. Works great when they get a little juice with their roses. It needs to be painted again. Haven't had any destruction for 4 yr with the fence popping away.

  • 19 years ago

    Charleney, can you give some details about the fence? How tall? Construction? Can you post a picture or email one to me? Which charger do you use? Thanks.

  • 19 years ago

    Ratherb....Thank you for posting about Deer Out. It worked so well last year I have been tempted to use it again (just emptied the bottle). Your deer are probably second cousins of mine here in Clark County so I will risk going another season. Back to Shorty's to pick it up! That's the only place locally I have found it. jwww

  • 19 years ago

    Thanks everyone...for all the GREAT info.....! I will be trying some of these solutions. The Deer OFF, Bobbex and Plantskydd all sound so promising..and workable too. Since I am not home that often..I think I will start with the Deer OFF ..and then try the alternating Bobbex and Plantskydd starting next year. The fence is a great idea and is the best solution..but the hurricane winds knocked trees down on mine in several places..all mangled in those areas..and twisted with fallen trees, shrubs and so on.. but still the deer get through. Got to give them A's on that.

    ian_wa....The natural preditors..great idea for so many places..and increasingly that is being done.....but not on this tiny little island..which is approximately 2 miles by 3 miles. Can't you see the results of letting even one cougar loose here? *G*

  • 19 years ago

    You're welcome Judy. I told Shorty's about it after I tried it, so she was nice and got some in and has been happy with it, at least last year. I haven't been there yet this year, but I need to get some more since I used up the last of mine. My roses put out more new growth, so I need to spray them again.I intended to do that today, but got involved outside, then had to get my kid to harp lessons. Maybe tomorrow...

  • 19 years ago

    Well, I ran out of my Deer Out on Sunday and am planning to look for more on Friday or Saturday. Whichever of us gets to Shorty's first needs to complain if its not on the shelf! jwww

  • 19 years ago

    I'm closer, so I can get there first! ;) I'll let you know if it's in stock.

  • 19 years ago

    FWIW but don't shoot me, I'm only the messenger:-)

    I was browsing through my 2007 Heirloom roses catalog
    today and they had a page called 'Gardening with Deer'written by a guy that has 150 rose bushes that the deer were devouring. The guy swears that they don't even nibble anymore after he started spraying once a week with his recipe. The full story is on page 21 of the catalog.

    Mix in blender:
    1 cup water
    3 eggs
    1/3 cup Tabasco sauce
    1/3 cup liquid dishwashing soap
    Pour into gallon tank sprayer and fill with water. Spray thoroughly once a week. One beef bouillon cube is optional. He says it has never harmed a plant.

  • 19 years ago

    I bought a booklet recently with a title like that. I also need one that spells it "Dear."

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner