Software
Houzz Logo Print
annzgw

Dwarf Rhodi's

19 years ago

I'm in the SW Portland area and am trying to find a supplier of dwarf rhodi's.........but not the type with the tiny leaves. The variety I now have are a larger leaf, rose flowers, and have grown about 6 inches in the last 4 years.

Does anyone know of a grower or nursery that may carry something similar? I need at least 20 of them.

Comments (15)

  • 19 years ago

    Too many different types of dwarf rhodies to elaborate :-) You may be looking for some of the "yak" hybrids, which are typically very compact plants seldom exceeding 3'x3' and most often have rosy pink flowers and foliage with a silver sheen and fuzzy brown indumentum. Most retail nurseries or garden centers that carry any kind of a selection of rhododendrons will have at least a few to offer. Look for 'Yaku Princess', 'Birthday Girl', 'Dreamland', 'Teddy Bear' or one of these "seven dwarfs" - 'Doc', Sneezy' or 'Dopey'.

  • 19 years ago

    Thanks gardengal! Now that I know what to ask for maybe I'll now have success!
    I'll visit one of my favorite nurseries today..........they can usually order anything I want.

  • 19 years ago

    If you want to take a little drive north, Down's Rhododendrons has a great variety. They are about a half hour south of Olympia. They also have a great site with pics of most of their inventory, just google them.

  • 19 years ago

    Or if you want to drive south, my favorite place is Greer gardens in Eugene, might be a drive for you, (it's a 3 hour drive one way for me from Bandon) they're on the web also http://www.greergardens.com .

    Have Fun Planting this Spring...
    Faith

  • 19 years ago

    As they come into bloom many local garden centers will have dwarf rhodies of many cultivars. They often place them up front when in bloom. There are quite a few with bigger leaves available.

  • 19 years ago

    Thanks for the suggestions. I will continue my search at the nurseries next week..........by then the blooms on mine should be developed enough to help in identification.

    After more research I don't think they're the Yaks, since there is no 'thick wooly hair on the underside' of the leaf.

    I just hope I can just find one with the same growth habits.....color is less of an issue.

  • 19 years ago

    Can you post a picture?

  • 19 years ago

    Maybe looking at one of these would help you find a place.

    Here is a link that might be useful: Oregon's Retail Nursery Guide

  • 19 years ago

    Thanks bboy.......I came across that site the other day and will be hitting the nurseries Monday with a cutting in hand.

    buyorsell, here's a photo taken last fall from a lone bloom that decided to appear! It's on its last leg, but the photo shows that the leaves have tiny silver hairs.......the back of the leaf is light colored and smooth.
    It should be in full bloom in about a week and I'll snap better shots then.

  • 19 years ago

    Looks like a PJM group, can't remember if they have hairs like that up close or not. It is raining on mine now so I can't tell. Yes, I think I see hairs on this photo but it has speckles and yours doesn't. There are so many Rhodies that look alike.....

  • 19 years ago

    Top one is a Rhododendron williamsianum hybrid like 'Jock' or perhaps dozens of others being sold. The out-of-season flower shown is deformed and not representative. The bottom one is the very common 'PJM'. You will have no trouble finding that. Note that there are multiple derivative selections on the market, often with 'PJM' as part of their cultivar names.

  • 19 years ago

    Just wanted to update and thank everyone for their help.

    I've yet to find the plant locally........the closest in shape is Baden Baden........... but I did call Down's (many thanks boxofrox!) and she's guessing it's Whipering Rose or one of the many willaimsianum varieties (right again bboy! ;)). Judging by the photo on their site I think she's right. I'll be sending her photos once the blooms open and we'll go from there.

  • 19 years ago

    You're welcome annz, I really like the folks at Downs. I just go down and tell them what structure and color I'm looking for and they do the rest. I was looking for a Crater Lake and when I saw the plant, I balked and they showed me a St Browards and it is drop dead gorgeous, smaller azalea type leaves and electric blue/purple blooms. Right now it is in full bloom and it is captivating. I also got a Jonathan Shaw from them that is a killer dark purple. Last year they gave me a new azalea cultivar that has multiple colored blooms. They are great folks!

  • 19 years ago

    I love Greer Gardens. I shop online and call ahead with a list and confirmation of what I am looking for, but save room for all the non rhodie goodies - it's amazing what they have tucked away on their 14 acres. You get driven around in a golf cart.

  • 19 years ago

    itsmefaith & albertine.........I think I'm going to take your recommendation and make the the trip to Greer's! I'm less than 2 hrs away and I think it'll be worth the drive. Who knows..........I may decide to plant something totally different!
    With 14 acreas surely I'll find something!!

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Columbus' Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting