Software
Houzz Logo Print
vdixit_gw

rain rain go to spain!

20 years ago

Is anyone else tired of the rain? Its so cold and just keeps falling relentlessly. I cant just go out and garden as often as I would like. And dont get me wrong, I like rain. I grew up in the tropics with 4 months of monsoon. But this Seattle rain is just making me blue...

What are you'll doing in the garden? Are you planting lots of things? I just need a boost from all you old timers and seasoned northwest gardeners.

Cheers,

Vaishali

Comments (11)

  • 20 years ago

    I don't know where you live but rains here have been intermittent for awhile now, with regular sunny periods. That month of rain we had this winter is over. Just last Friday some friends and I had a lovely afternoon looking at and photographing wildflowers near Deception Pass.

  • 20 years ago

    But we only get one day of sun for every week of rain! I'm tired of it too and our garden is still too wet to get on it and turn it over and seed the early veggies. Yes, I'm finding it very frustrating this springtime. The plus is that the blossoms are lasting longer...

  • 20 years ago

    >But we only get one day of sun for every week of rain!We do, eh? I've still got a bit of a burn from working in a garden in Seattle on a recent sunny day without wearing a big hat.

    Here is a link that might be useful: History for Seattle Boeing, Washington

  • 20 years ago

    Its been raining all weekend!! bboy how do you keep your spirits up? It was cloudy almost all week and then the annoying, quiet, continous drizzle...all friday, sat and sun.
    :(:( But you know I went into the nursery and bought some herbs and some veggies to transplant, just to spite at the weather gods..
    Sorry I am a little blue.

  • 20 years ago

    I spent a wonderful day on Friday, visiting specialty nurserys in the lower mainland. Great fun, and the weather was lovely.
    I bought a papyrus and a black elephant ears which I hope to use as a framework for a lovely pot. Now I have to buy the pot and decide what other plants to get. That should keep me from depression and if it's going to rain, I may as well use it as a water feature on the patio.

  • 20 years ago

    Today, I think it depended on where you were. It rained all day where I was (Kingston) but looked like it was drier to the south. The potted plants actually needed a nice drink around here. Seems like a lot of flowering trees are about 2 weeks behind schedule, but most native trees etc. are nearly on schedule for leafing out. Hey at least it's not time for another arctic freeze, that is what I figure 8^)

  • 20 years ago

    I'm one of those people who doesn't mind the rain; in fact, I like it -- but even I can have moments of wanting it to end, especially when I'm eager to be out in the garden.

    I'm not a seasoned N'westerner but I am a very seasoned gray-skies Midwesterner, so I've had lots of experience waiting for sun... some of the things that lift my spirits are: trips to the local nursery to look at what's new/blooming -- walks outside whenever possible (a drizzle doesn't keep me in and being outside always makes me feel better) -- getting cozy with a good gardening book/catalog -- a walk or drive around anywhere (neighborhood, arboretum, greenhouse, etc.) to see what's happening with plants. Seems there's something new every week. I like trips to the local farmer's market for fresh veggies and flowers -- a bouquet of flowers (even just a small one, a few blooms from my yard) is always a spirit-lifter. Any day that isn't a downpour, if I just can't wait, I can get outside and at the very least work on weeds or pruning or other clean-up tasks that don't involve getting into the soil of the flower beds (don't want to compact the soil). And, this time of year I take a *lot* of joy just in the fact that the days are getting longer! The short winter days are lots harder on me than the gray days and I'm so glad to see the light last longer each day.

    Hang in there -- the sun will return, more and more frequently!

  • 20 years ago

    Good words Carol Ann ... I was about to suggest vdixit take some cheese with that whine but your suggestions were so much better and lightened my day. Seems I was getting a bit downturned myself ... thanks for sharing such wonderful encouragement.

  • 20 years ago

    Sun's out!

  • 20 years ago

    I take back all my weather complaints. Its gorgeous today and was pretty good yesterday. The long daylight hours help a bit too. I had overseeded my lawn 2 weeks ago and had almost given up on any germination but this morning I saw lots of seedlings. Nature always surprises me.
    Slugs and snails are a nuisance though. They poked holes and ate a few of my lemon balm leaves. I thought slugs might leave herbs alone. They havent yet found my lettuces. I have put sluggo around everything so I hope that will prevent further damage.
    Cheers, Happy Spring,
    Vaishali

  • 20 years ago

    I'm with you Carol_Ann, I like the rain and fog, but not a constant diet of it. When it rains too hard for me to work outside in the garden there is always something else to do under a roof. Maybe not as enjoyable, but needs to be done nevertheless because I put it off because I was playing in the garden. I find comfort in drizzle and fog whereas others think about moving to Phoenix or jump off tall buildings. I like what the plants like and wouldn't think of living anywhere else.