Software
Houzz Logo Print
pacnwgrdngirl

Which Red Rhodie Is Blooming Now?

19 years ago

Hello! There is a gorgeous Red Rhodie blooming everyhere that I would like to know the name of. I know it's not , "The Hon Jean Marie de Montague" because I already have some of those and so does my neighbor. That one blooms early next month. The one blooming now looks a lot like it though. I would like to plant this one with my Jean Marie's for an earlier bloom. I looked in my Rhodie book and it may be, "Etta Burrows." Thanks!

Comments (12)

  • 19 years ago

    Could be Taurus

  • 19 years ago

    'Etta Burrows' doesn't look like 'Montague', as far as it goes. There are far too many kinds to name it with this amount of information, popular plants like hybrid rhododendrons number in the thousands of kinds.

    Try looking at a few large independent garden centers to see what they have now.

  • 19 years ago

    pnwgg,

    Most of the rhodies and azaleas I have are staggered for bloom time and I like it so it's not so much one and done and then slaving to pinch them all at the same time. Are you looking specifically for red? I also have Jean Marie but she's about 6th or 7th in the order of go. I have somewhere north of 60 and a bit south of 100 rhody,azalea, and pieris and just about my favorite of them all is blooming right now. It is 'Unique Marmalade' and it looks just like it sounds. The plant has the most perfect shape, large leaves but a neat compact habit. Downs and Briggs both have a picture on their sites. It's not red but it's drop dead :-)

  • 19 years ago

    Thanks you guys! I kind of have a red theme going on at the lawn perimeter. (Where the lawn meets the woods.) I have red Japanese Maples and I have planted some Red Old Garden Roses, and Red Climbing Roses to climb into trees. Along with my Jean Marie's. The red just really looks so pretty and stands out against all the green. The, "Unique Marmalade" is delicious looking boxofrox! I may have to find a place for it. I love when gardens have different varieties of azaleas and rhododendrons to stagger bloom times. I have a few. I will check in at Rosedale Gardens Nursery. They have a massive Rhodie Dept. Here's a picture of my Blue Diamond - It is incredible right now! Ultra Violet Blue!

  • 19 years ago

    A standard variety in suitable climates.

    "A favorite of many gardeners, 'Blue Diamond' has small flowers all along the stems. Dense, finely branched stems grow vertically. A sunny location is best for this well-shaped plant. Many times it is used as a border. At least two forms are being grown."

    --Greer's Guidebook to Available Rhododendrons

  • 19 years ago

    That looks a lot like my 'St Browards' which is also in full bloom. My next one to open is 'Elsie Watson' which is deep pink on the outside and creamy white on the inside.

    Did you look up Taurus? I'm thinking that might be the red one. I bought one for myself two years ago but stopped by my moms on the way home and ended up planting it for her because she fell in love with it (I'm her eldest son and a Taurus :-) I'm thinking it was an earlier bloomer than 'THJMdM'.

  • 19 years ago

    "'Taurus' is a magnificent shrub; it is vigorous and full in shape. Deep green, pointed leaves are held for 3 years. In winter, deep red buds adorn the branches. Globular trusses are made up of glowing red, campanulate flowers with black specking on the upper petal. It is the same parentage as 'Grace Seabrook', but not a sister seedling."

    --Greer

  • 19 years ago

    Could it be "Elizabeth"? I used to have this one, early blooming and bright true red , not magenta or orange.

  • 19 years ago

    Elizabeth is a nice dwarf that is true red and is blooming now. Or could be Baden Baden. I don't know which one I have. I bought them both and one died. I can't tell from references which one is the survivor.

  • 19 years ago

    pacnwgrdngirl, your Blue Diamond is gorgeous, I've been looking for a Rhodo that looks like yours for a long time. I've seen it in gardens but didn't know the name, sigh, another addition to my ever growing list.

    A......

  • 19 years ago

    Be aware that Blue Diamond doesn't stay tiny and cute forever, mine is pushing 7' tall.

  • 19 years ago

    My Taurus is just finishing blooming, this is it's first year to bloom for me. It's a handsome bush with nice leaves, which is why I picked it out originally; I knew I'd be looking at the leaves a lot when it wasn't in bloom. The flowers are true Christmas red.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Columbus' Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting