Software
Houzz Logo Print
girlndocs

White Liatris?

19 years ago

The nursery where I usually shop for perennials tells me this is "almost impossible" to find. I see it available from multiple sources online, however, although I'd like to get it locally if I can.

Does anyone know of a source for it in the Tacoma/Gig Harbor or even the Maple Valley area?

Thanks!

Kristin

Comments (10)

  • 19 years ago

    I don't know about down there, up here they are selling mixed purple and white Liatris on the racks in the garden centers and grocery stores. If you can't find the straight white in the garden centers, try a package of these to get a start.

    A......

  • 19 years ago

    You know, I thought I'd seen them in the packs at Lowe's or someplace, but I wondered if I was hallucinating. I would be afraid they'd ALL turn out purple, though. (I can't stand the purple kind, but the white is attractive to me for some reason. If you figure that out, let me in on it.)

    Do those corms bloom at all the first year?

    Kristin

  • 19 years ago

    I really don't know if they do or not, obviously you are not as obsessed as I am. I bought the package and I am taking a chance because I really want some white ones. I've been lookng for an annual Sedum seed, blue flowers, posted this request on the Alpine and Rock forum, someone there found a source in England selling this seed, needless to say I placed an order right away. I'd been looking for this seed for about 6 years. Plantaholic I am, I am. :o)

    A......

  • 19 years ago

    I'm not sure where your nursery gets its perennials but 'Floristan White' is pretty darn easy for me to get in season. Still a bit early, as it is mostly dormant yet. As I recall, the corms do produce their first year if you get them planted early enough.

  • 19 years ago

    Yeah, I'm not sure I'm real impressed with them anymore, since their perennial buyer also said she's never even heard of Gallery lupines, and last year one of their employees informed me there were no Eucalyptus that could be grown outside around here. I'm starting to think they're more of a garden decor boutique place that also sells plants. At least everything I've bought from them is healthy and vigorous.

    Gardengal, can you recommend a place that might have the white Liatris? I don't recall where your nursery might be. I'm in Tacoma but regularly go to Maple Valley and Seattle.

    Kristin

  • 19 years ago

    Gosh, I wouldn't be very impressed with them either :-)

    Watson's is an excellent nursery in your area - I'm pretty sure they carry them or could get them rather easily. My nursery is up north (Lynnwood) but most of the better retail nurseries and garden centers along the I5 corridor share many of the same vendors, so if I can get them, they should be able to as well.

  • 19 years ago

    Actually, it was Watson's that told me the white Liatris is almost never available.

    I'll hit the phone books. Thanks!

    Kristin

  • 19 years ago

    Well, that's pretty amazing! I've known Fran and Maidee Watson for years and they know their stuff (or certainly gave the impression they did). I'd guess it was a less well-informed employee that gave you that rather bizarre information.

    You could try Furney's, Portland Avenue Nursery or Peninsula Gardens in Gig Harbor. Or take a drive north :-)

  • 19 years ago

    I ended up ordering online. Bulbmeister has 'Floristan White' 15 corms/ $16 with shipping, and I don't expect I could get the equivalent amount of plants at that price. And I know, you get what you pay for, but Bulbmeister has a sparkling profile at Garden Watchdog.

    It was garden shopping therapy after the Euc I've waited a month for arrived half dead yesterday ...

    Kristin

    Here is a link that might be useful: Bulbmeister

  • 19 years ago

    Kristin,

    You might try Covington Creek for stuff sometimes if you've not been there. The gal that started it used to be with Thorsett. They're slowly building up their stock, whether they would have had the Liatris, I couldn't tell you but I stop in from time to time to see what they have that fits my current need.

Sponsored
Franklin County's Heavy Timber Specialists | Best of Houzz 2020!