Software
Houzz Logo Print
newgeneral

Suggestions for full shade

20 years ago

I need some plant suggestions for full shade on the north side of a fence. The whole fence line is bare now, so I need some nice low-growers as well as a plant that I can train to climb the fence or espalier. I wanted to do a trellis on top of the fence with some tall blooming climbers like honeysuckle and clematis -- but the plan has changed. Now I want plants that can confine themselves to the 6' height of the fence. Anything higher will cast additional shadow on the courtyard to the north of the fence.

I know of obvious choices for deep shade like hosta and ferns, and I do plan to plant some of those. I am looking for something with some height. And also something for seasonal interest. The garden to the east of this fence is a purple garden. And the sunny deck near the fence is very tropical in the warm weather months, featuring hot-colored flowers. Also the kitchen window looks out at this fence, so I'd like something nice to stare at year round. Maybe something with nice foliage that can frame a wall fountain. Neatness would be a plus. There is a gravel courtyard at the base of this fence, and cleaning up fallen leaves and debris is rather a nuisance.

Thanks for all suggestions.

Comments (11)

  • 20 years ago

    What about the taller, bigger Bleeding Hearts? They've worked for me.

    Wanda

  • 20 years ago

    Skimmia, sarcococca...hit a nursery and look at their displays of 'Plants for Shade' or 'Shade Plants'.

  • 20 years ago

    Acubas (yeah I know, they can get big but in that much shade they will take forever), Variegated Fatsias, Sambucas (some) As bboy mentioned, a trip to the nursery is a good idea.
    How about garden art......

  • 20 years ago

    Unless the fence is VERY tall or there is some other source providing the shade, it is unlikely that this is as heavy a shade situation as you imagine. In full summer, this area should receive direct sun for a period of time during midday and is generally bright if indirect light the rest of the time. Heavy shade is generally defined as receiving no direct sunlight and typically exists under the heavy canopy of big conifers or under overhangs or decks. The area along my north facing fence is planted with bergenia, lily of the valley, leucothoe, carex, a couple of hellebores, hostas, hydrangeas and clethra. There's even a couple of rhodies and Boston ivy climbing the fence. Pretty much any shade tolerant plant should work.

  • 20 years ago

    I had the same thought: if this fence is the only source of shade it will not be full shade.

  • 20 years ago

    Lots of native plants do well in the shade.

  • 20 years ago

    There are several tall trees on the neighbor's side to south of the fence. The base of the fence stays quite shady -- never any full sun, though it can be bright shade in the late afternoon during the height of summer. Denser shade quickly returns. There is a retaining wall a mere foot to 18" in front of the fence, so I need something tall but narrow, which can be planted basically right at the base of the fence.

  • 20 years ago

    Check out Japanese Aralia. Tropical looking and it needs FULL SHADE, no
    afternoon sun. Grows 5-8 feet, large leaves. I just purchased one for a total
    shady section along my back fence. Check out California Gardening forum, there are lots of entries and questions about this plant. I think I'm going to
    give it a whirl. I also want something that does not get huge, or much taller
    than my fence. I think it has a real lush look to it. Also have some "rainbow
    leucothe" planted there. Gets variegated new foliage and is an AWESOME
    shade plant maybe getting 4 feet tall. What about hydrangeas?

  • 20 years ago

    Ekinanthus! slow growing, upright and narrow. Has fabulous fall color and nice if not spectacular spring bloom.

    BTW, Fatsia japonica, "Japanese Aralia" can take quite a bit of sun at least here in Portland it can. It is really quite common around town. In California it might need total shade but not here.

  • 19 years ago

    I have a similar situation and I plan to put in several hardy fuchsias, some of which will get 4-5' tall.

    I planted two sasanqua camellias which have done very well. If you are not familiar with sasanquas, they bloom in fall and early winter. The flowers are smaller, flimsy, and fragil, but lots of them with some acid fertilizer. The growth habit of the type I bought is more like a sturdy vine than a shrub. I just tie the long branches up once a year so they spread out along the fence. After several years, they are about 5' x 5' but less than l' deep.

    Daphne in Tacoma

  • 19 years ago

    Hmmmm.....I'd not suggest hardy fuchsias for full shade, unless you are growing them solely for foliage color with those that have that feature. Blooming will be quite sparse and the plants likely to be rather leggy and rangy looking. Hardy fuchsias will take full sun in our climate and varying degrees of part shade. The best looking 'Ricartonii' I've ever seen was in full-on sun all day at the top of a rock wall where it cascaded a bit. Bloomed like a sunofagun.

    I'm surprised your sasanquas are blooming heavily for you in this situation as well, unless your shade is not as heavy as you think.