Software
Houzz Logo Print
judywww

hidden quince flowers

19 years ago

I have a Chaenomeles japonica 'Texas Scarlet' which I have had for 9 years. It was very slow to begin to bloom. As I believe is typical of the japonicas, it is very low growing with twisting branches which have actually rooted in numerous spots where they touch the ground. From even a few feet away it is an interesting oddly shaped but attractive deep green mound about 2.5' high and 4'+ wide. If you lift up the limbs there are hundreds of gorgeous flowers completely covered by the foliage. Once you know they are there you can catch a glimpse if you look directly through the foliage from the side vs downward or at an angle.

Is there anything I can do (short of shearing off the overlying limbs at blooming season...believe me I have been tempted) to coax it to reveal its flowers in future springs? jwww

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting