Software
Houzz Logo Print
buyorsell888

Please help identify flower I saw in Seattle

19 years ago

I went to Oasis Water Gardens in Seattle last week. Our front in the parking strip there was this weird flower. I've never seen it before in my life. Vibrant blue and purple colored bracts sort of a teal cast too. Did not look natural. Looked similar to a Euphorbia or Buplureum (sp). It was low growing and must seed easily as it was all over up and down the flower beds.

I asked if they sold it and they don't and they said the name but I didn't catch it. I asked again and still didn't catch it. Sounded like it started with a "C" or an "S" major.

I did not have my camera with me :(

Comments (29)

  • 19 years ago

    My guess would be cerinthe. It seeds easily and is a beautiful plant, grows up to 24".

    Sue

  • 19 years ago

    YES that is it! Thanks

  • 19 years ago

    Below is the Dave's Garden listing for this plant, with some nice pictures.

    PS-I think it was a little cruel of you to make me need to go out and buy another plant... now I have to have one!

    Here is a link that might be useful: Cerinthe

  • 19 years ago

    If you find one, let me know. I have not seen it. Log House Plants grows it though so it should be available. I think I'll get on the phone.

  • 19 years ago

    I'm so glad to see this post. I first saw cerinthe on a garden trip to New Zealand and was knocked off my feet. When I got back to the PNW, I looked in my Sunset book and didn't find it listed and never did any more research, and I've been pining away for a cerinthe. Now I know it reseeds, so am going to get one asap.

    Cisco Morris wrote about it July 2006 in the Seattle PI and said that it didn't come back because of the prior very wet winter. Cerinthe is a Mediterranean plant.

    I want cerinthe major purpurescens.

    Cerinthe is also called honeywort, and attracts bees.
    I found a link that has lots of info including how to start seeds.

    Daphne in Tacoma

    Here is a link that might be useful: more cerinthe info

  • 19 years ago

    In the current (2007) edition of the Sunset WESTERN GARDEN BOOK Cerinthe appears on page 263, where it is classed as an ANNUAL. However, the accompanying description notes that "In mild-winter climates, seedlings may appear in late summer and bloom the following spring, behaving like biennials or short-lived perennials."

  • 19 years ago

    If you can't find the plant or seed locally T&M have them.

    A......

    Here is a link that might be useful: Cerinthe

  • 19 years ago

    The plants are also carried at Big Dipper Farm. However, it seeds VERY easily and transplants simply as well. Our first plant came from Mike Unser's iris garden when he moved to a new property. We've also bought seeds at Wells Medina and other nurseries that were just dropped in the soil, covered and watered, resulting in more cerinthe than you could ever want. Our latest project is three pillars (6', 5', 4') set in a border containing cerinthe. The pillar colors will be those of the plant - a yellow-green, dark purple, and that beautiful burgundy rose.

    Sue

    Here is a link that might be useful: Big Dipper Farm

  • 19 years ago

    I bought starts in 4" pots about a week ago at Top Foods in Olympia.

  • 19 years ago

    I'm off to Olympia! I've been meaning to get down to Top Foods there, anyway. My local T.F. used to have some great bargains on plants but no longer sell them. I asked the manager a month ago about the absence of a plant department, and he suggested I head to Olympia where they have a large plant selection. If they're selling cerinthe, he must be right! Thanks, Dave, for the tip.
    Daphne in Tacoma

  • 19 years ago

    Dang, I drove through Olympia last week and could have gotten off the freeway.

    I've been to at least a dozen garden centers this year and have never seen this plant before seeing it at Oasis Water Gardens.

    Dave in Olympia, do you have a pond?

  • 19 years ago

    I don't have a pond - you may be thinking of the owner of Faerie Gardens in Tumwater. That Dave is a great plantsman and landscape designer. Another reason to leave the interstate... Top Foods still has cerinthe - I just purchased 3 more starts. They're getting kind of leggy from sitting in shade. It's the one on Martin Way. I don't know what the one on the west side has.

  • 19 years ago

    I just bought some cerinthe seeds on eBay and it was also called 'shrimp plant'. It looks very interesting. I love things that start easily from seed. I'm also a sucker for anything purple!

  • 19 years ago

    I am thinking of another Dave who lives in Olympia that I know from American Ponders forum. Many members are members at Garden Web too.

    I've never been to Tumwater but do have to go to Seattle again in August is Faerie Gardens easy to find?

    I love purple. :) I would think Justicia for shrimp plant but that is the downfall of common names.

  • 19 years ago

    Hey buyorsell - Top Foods is the same as Haggen in Oregon. (I think) Top Foods has all Haggen brand name stuff in it here in Tacoma. Weird how the name is different. I know the Haggen in Tualatin has a pretty big garden dept.

  • 19 years ago

    Faerie Garden is very easy to find- right smack in the middle of Tumwater. *Trosper Road exit (#102), east to Capitol Blvd and turn right, left on Dennis St. then left on Elm. It's about 2 blocks down Elm.
    Cerinthe has been plentiful at the Steamboat Island Nursery for the past several years- a great small nursery with unique plants. It's open only on weekends during the spring and summer.

  • 19 years ago

    I will be near that Haggen on Monday so I will stop. Thanks.

    Thanks for directions to Faerie Garden.

  • 19 years ago

    Several species of Cerinthe are usually available year round as mailorder from Annies Annuals in Richmond, Ca. They all set seed rather easily, and should reseed themselves once started as long as they get good daily sun. Here in northern California it is most often a shortlived perennial, and can bloom through the winter if located in a protected spot. The most intense colored blooms will result only with good light, it tends to look leggy and abit washed out for flower color in too much shade. Also, it seems to bloom best in spring or fall, unless grown under cool summer conditions.

  • 19 years ago

    Laine at Steamboat Island Nursery near Olympia (www.steamboatislandnursery.com) had big beautiful healthy cerinthe plants at the Arboretum plant sale. You can also get them most of the time from Dig Nursery on Vashon Island. I got a yellow-flowered cerinthe at the Arboretum plant sale that's fun to have. I've ordered them from Annie's Annuals but they don't travel as well as some of her other plants. You can email both local nurseries to see if they have cerinthe.

    Here is a link that might be useful: Dig Nursery on Vashon Island

  • 19 years ago

    Thanks to this post, I picked up two cerinthe at Steamboat Island Nursery on Sunday. They have a bed of them on display, and one of the 'yellow with red tips' type growing in the ground near the checkout desk. And had a great chat with Kathy J. who works there.

    GardenWeb is my favorite gardening 'tool'!!!
    Daphne in Tacoma

  • 19 years ago

    I visited multiple local garden centers over the weekend and no one had them. Didn't end up near Haggen though. I will be near it today for sure and will stop.

    I won't be back through Olympia until late August.

  • 19 years ago

    It's pretty funny, I think we get each other all hyped up about stuff. Peninsula Gardens is getting some Cerinthe in this week, and I'm sure I'll be getting some.

    dianekirkland - I just love Dig Nursery. I love to make a day trip over there in the summer with the kids and go to Vashon's Outdoor Pool (one of few up here!) and hit the nursery too.

    Here is a link that might be useful: Vashon Pool

  • 19 years ago

    GardenGirl -- I was at Peninsula Gardens on Mother's Day but it was a little early for the plants I'm really interested in buying. If you notice an orange, dark-foliaged dahlia named 'Bishop of Oxford' would you please say something? My parents live close by and can pick one up for me.

    Have you ever taken your kids to Titlow pool in Tacoma? I used to work there in junior high and high school. It was a nice big pool but would probably be considered ancient by now!

    I love Dig Nursery, too. Sylvia and Ross are good friends and when I visit I usually take a picnic lunch for all of us to eat in the nursery. Time for another visit!

  • 19 years ago

    Made it to Haggen. No Cerinthe.

    They did have nice 1 gallon Clematis for $9.99, I didn't need any of the varieties they had though. I was surprised that they had an Integrifolia, Inspiration.

  • 19 years ago

    I'm surprised you can't find cerinthe at local garden centers. It is not all that uncommon and is usually offered by a variety of local wholesale growers who supply these places. Try those places that offer something a bit more in the annual plants selection than your standard petunias, marigolds or zinnias (which leaves out the box stores or discounters) :-)) And it grows very easily and quickly from seed and is not too late to try some by that method if started plants prove too elusive.

  • 19 years ago

    I've been to Portland Nursery, Shorty's Garden Center, Ferguson's Fragrant Nursery (not all are fragrant plants) Drake's Seven Dees, Tsugawa's and Furney's (in Seattle) since seeing the Cerinthe.

    I'm not good with seeds. :(

  • 19 years ago

    Cerinthe self-seeds and grows without effort. I have pulled it like a weed in the borders of my garden. Don't be afraid to just plant the seeds in the ground and keep them moist - you'll have a crop in no time at all and you can be assured they'll always be around for you. Here's a recent pic and the website with the seeds I purchased:

    Sue

    Here is a link that might be useful: Renee's Garden Seeds

  • 19 years ago

    hi diane kirkland - I did not see your 'Bishop of Oxford' Dahlia at Peninsula Gardens. Will let you know if I see one somewhere. Those really are stunning. They didn't have Cerinthe either like they said. I guess I will try some seeds.

    We will definitely check out Titlow Pool in Tacoma. I really like the outdoor pools!

  • 19 years ago

    Finally, bought some yesterday at Shorty's in Vancouver.