Software
Houzz Logo Print
hilasallady

Need help picking chandelier for living room

14 years ago
Natural Pine vaulted ceiling with white painted pine beams. Couches are ikea and beige white. Area is Marin county, woodsy. Installed a chandelier and know the style (crystal) is all wrong but don't know what fits. Also have a dining room that I'd like to add a new pendant/chandelier and want them to go together because when you walk into the house you immediately see both rooms.

Comments (20)

  • 14 years ago
    How about a "rustic modern" drum shade?
    Georgetwon House · More Info
  • 14 years ago
    Alita Basketweave Lights · More Info
  • 14 years ago
    Would you do two of the same in different sizes?

    This iron and glass would look good:
    Hill Country Modern · More Info
    How about this style?
    Interiors · More Info


    These (by Baker - the Thomas Pheasant line) are really interesting:
    The Webster House · More Info
    Notice the ones over the counter area, too.
  • 14 years ago
    What about the bureston pendant from horchow? I did look at the one you chose from horchow as an option. Is the style I should be looking for contemporary? Also we have dimmers in both rooms, with the living on a 1000 watt dimmer. It's the largest room in the 2350 sq. ft. House and the pendant will be the main light source. The horchow pendants are 1 size (the minis are just too small for either room). Does it make sense to get the same one for both rooms? Thanks so much.
  • 14 years ago
    The baker under the counter is nice but didn't see it on the baker website??? Looks like you chose a lot of rustic iron designs. My window covering rods are iron, but too much iron makes me feel like the dining room especially as the iron chandelier hangs there now looks too heavy and dark.
  • 14 years ago
    last modified: 14 years ago
    Living room [houzz=
    Moyanne Chandelier · More Info
    ]
    Dining rooom [houzz=
    Lucinda Branch Chandelier · More Info
    ]
  • 14 years ago
    Your rooms each have such different character and could easily be seen as separate and a succession of change in function and attitudes. I would find it difficult to design them as all one space and look.

    Have you considered putting your new Chandelier over the dining room table ?- The metal one is not bad, but doesnt do anything very special for the dining experience. That room looks more formal and aligned with the bay window the Sparkling Chandelier would become a beautiful centerpiece in that room without blocking any views - Can it also be put on a dimmer for maximum ambience?

    In the beamed room I would consider removing the chandelier idea altogether as it hangs low enough to interfere with the great outdoor views and with your focal artwork. Light wash the ceiling material and beam structure with thoughtfully placed spot lights (up lights at the 4 corners tucked behind beams and parallel the primary truss angles so that fixtures are unobtrusive and the structure is highlighted - its very beautiful. Cover the current fixture in your photo with your hand - you'll see some of the effect ......

    In the brown sofa room - a pattern of recessed or track lights would diffuse the singular hot spot on the ceiling.
  • 14 years ago
    Beautiful home! I like this one for over the dining table: [houzz=
    Abstract Landscape Oil Paintings · More Info
    ] and this one for the living room: [houzz=
    Pella® 350 Series Double Hung window · More Info
    ]

    I love your home, I wish I could see more!
  • 14 years ago
    i find your ceiling busy enough with all the pine wood frame not to need any kind of hanging lamp shade/chandelier what ever you name them.plus your walls are as well very rich wi th paintings, big screen tv. i strongly beleive that you would be better off to get rid of all your hanging lamps and replace them with downlights with allogen globes.not only you will save on your electricity bill but you will them put the light where it has to be not in your "face". you can use them as well to show your paintings, arts etc...and they are really great being totally not intruding in your space.and then i would concentrate on simple, blend and spectacular on your dining table.you can find a nice pair of silver candelabres or wooden ones and then the focus is on certain pieces rather then everywhere. some times less is more beautiful...have fun!!!
  • 14 years ago
    My rooms during in the morning. You can't see it in the picture but both rooms have sweeping water views. Both rooms are on dimmers. I'd prefer not to have too much black/iron on whatever lighting I go with. Like the idea of bright and light.
  • 14 years ago
    last modified: 14 years ago
    Wow. What a wonderful house!

    Is this similar to what you have or is it heavier? It is from Schonbek.
    Kitchen · More Info
  • 14 years ago
    Thank you. The crystals and iron both look so nice in the designer pictures but just don't mesh in my house. Not sure why but I'm started to consider something less traditional and more simple like a contemporary pendant for the dining and something that doesn't hang in the living room? All suggestions are really appreciated.
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    Would love to see a view looking towards the fireplace. What is the distance between the beams that the current chandelier is hung from? This could better assist us in getting the size determined.
    Cheers!
    m.
  • 14 years ago
    More images of the rooms. Took both light fixtures out.
  • 14 years ago
    Glass Jars...
  • 14 years ago
    I was standing on the deck, 1 foot out of the living room to take this picture. And 1/3 of the room is a library. And you can see the front door entryway. To the left of the entryway is a step down to the open dining, family, kitchen and another sliding door to the same deck.
  • 14 years ago
    If I went with a pendant it would need to have substantial wattage. The ones you listed are too small and i would rather not have 2. The horchow Sausalito and 2 other very similar horchow pendants are what I have been going back to again and again. I think they may work well in both rooms although lack of light might be an issue. I could add table lamps.
  • PRO
    14 years ago
    Leaving right now, but will look at this again this evening! I knew that these were low wattage in comparison to the chandelier output, thus the reason why I brought that up. The pendants do not put out as much light strength as the chandelier pieces, but I do think that we can get this figured out. Ambience lighting from table lamps is beautiful too and a beautiful addition to the overhead missing light.
    Cheers!
    m.