Software
Houzz Logo Print
embothrium

Evergreen Daylilies

20 years ago

Like Starburst series Monrovia offers. Are these any good here?

Comments (13)

  • 20 years ago

    Hi bboy, I've had Starburst Susie for a couple of years now and it seems VERY robust. Runs faster than a few of the bamboos I have! Very flashy orange flowers too! I first saw them at our local Coast to Coast in five gallon containers for way more than I want to pay for a daylily $25.95. I know daylily fanatics pay BIG $ for what they want and $25.00 is nothing! Not being a daylily diva I took a chance that they wouldn't sell all of them and came back in the early winter. There were two on sale. One is now in my garden and is huge!

    Here is a link that might be useful: http://public.fotki.com/BambooMary/my_green_house/my_garden/garden_plants/garden_new_pics_016.html

  • 20 years ago

    Thanks for commenting. But: how does plant shown differ from Hemerocallis fulva 'Kwanzo' ('Green Kwanzo')?

  • 20 years ago

    It is beautiful but I agree that it looks like Kwanzo. jwww

  • 20 years ago

    Well, if photos are to be believed, Kwanzo has no red and a softer orange (quite nice, I like it a lot). The link to Monrovia Starburst Susie shows a lot of red. I pulled out the plant label to see what it portrays and it shows a not as vibrant orange and not as much red as in the web site photo. However it had probably faded from being on the container outside at the store. Starburst Susie is really quite close to what is pictured on the web site. There are others in the Starburst series but then you probably already know that.

    Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.monrovia.com/PlantInf.nsf/67f84a5ebda3df3a88256f9d006b9c7c/adeb72070a9f3bb78825684d00715635!OpenDocument

  • 20 years ago

    Is yours staying evergreen? That would be a key difference, 'Green Kwanzo' is completely herbaceous whereas Monrovia site says "evergreen" for Starburst Susie. The running habit you describe would also fit.

  • 20 years ago

    For more pictures of Starburst Susie...

    Here is a link that might be useful: Google Image Search Results

  • 20 years ago

    It's evergreen but looks a bit tattered by the end of winter.

  • 20 years ago

    WOW!! That's a gorgeous daylily! Plant snob that I am, I have never been overly enamored with daylilies, finding them a bit commonplace and without many redeeming features beyond their colorful blooms, which never last very long. Ever the repeaters seem not to pack much punch. But as age and an increasingly busy schedule keeps reducing the amount of time I can devote to my own garden, I am finding daylilies more appealing, specially with regards to minimal maintenance.

    And I've heard that "evergreen" daylilies really are not in our climate. I'd love to hear feedback from those who grow them as to how reliably evergreen they are. If 'Starburst Susie' is really evergreen, I might have to give it a try.

    Design-wise, what other plants do you combine with daylilies that compliment them during their bloom season? I seem to tend to too much strap-like foliage in my mixed borders and need some rounder leaved flowering stuff. (and she calls herself a professional - must be midseason burn-out :-))

  • 20 years ago

    It is gorgeous and if really evergreen that would be great.

    I also have started to want more low maintenance plants and have planted some plants I would not have considered worthy years ago.

    A car accident in 2002 that I can't seem to recover from has really changed my priorities.

  • 20 years ago

    LOL! I know what you mean about strappy foliage. The first time I really came into contact with mush mummies was at the Portland Zoo more years ago than I care to recall. Anyway they had them teamed up with variegated ribbon grass and Siberian Iris all in drifts with Catalpa trees here and there. At the time I thought this was amazing and duplicated it at home adding some bamboo into the picture. I think it helped sell the house as it looked pretty nice, but I will NEVER EVER EVER plant ribbon grass again! Anyway here's another link to what I planted these Starburst Susies with (this year) and I hope the Purple Rain Salvias stay in bloom long enough for the Daylilies to bloom!
    These daylilies are fairly evergreen for me, although I would never consider them a winter focal point. Last winter was a bit much for them but they didn't miss a beat recovering. I would love to hear of other companion plants for daylilies as I have more acting as an interruption to the salmon berry view! Deer resistant would be nice.

    Here is a link that might be useful: http://public.fotki.com/BambooMary/garden_2006/summer_2006/dscn5623.html

  • 20 years ago

    I have about 20 varieties scattered through my perennial beds. Originally i bought mostly from Oakes (got the glossy catalog!) and I have found that everything they have said is evergreen has been evergreen for me. I am at higher elevation and so a little colder. Recently I've tried a few of the self-cleaning varieties and have found that they drop the blooms pretty reliably on day 3 but I have yet to find any of the really spectacular large blooms in this category. jwww

  • 20 years ago

    BambooMary, gorgeous garden!

  • 20 years ago

    You'd have to be more than a little colder to be in Zone 7. At your latitude Zone 7 is the west slope of the Cascade Mountains, east of Clark County.

    Here is a link that might be useful: Washington Zone Map