Software
Houzz Logo Print
september15_gw

cypress trees need help

20 years ago

Hi, I moved 7 trees last October (in Olympia Washington), 7' cypresses. They did fine until May. The tree guy said cypress is a tough tree.

I raised the whole area before planting them, with extra topsoil (3-4 inches). It seems to be very rich soil, the moles love it. There are mole tunnels everywhere.

Now the trees are suffering -- showing flags of golden color near the trunk.

I am wondering if the moles are harming the trees. Do they chew roots?

Even if not, the tunnels always end in the basins around the trees. (I put a collar of soil around each tree so as to hold the water in.) I think the tunnels are siphoning off the water I put on the trees. I'm always stomping around them, but it's easy to miss the mole hole under the mulch. I notice it (the hole) after the water has been on a while and not filled up the basin.

Should I wage war on the moles? Try to kill them with chewing gum? Try to ward them off with mothballs?

I'm getting frustrated. Thanks for any help you can offer!

Comments (2)