Software
Houzz Logo Print
naninhi

need help

20 years ago

I am moving from Kauai HI to Sisters OR. Can anyone tell me what types and kinds of plants will grow in the Bend-Sisters area??

THANKS Nan

Comments (5)

  • 20 years ago

    Look at a copy of the Sunset WESTERN GARDEN BOOK. This would be a good item to have anyway. You can find your new environs on the appropriate Sunset climate zone map and the flip through the Guide to Plant Selection section and Plant Encyclopedia to see some kinds that will grow there.

    Another good one to get would be Searles, GARDEN OF JOY but I do not know if this is in print. It consists mostly of discussion of plants for intermountain region gardens, would probably be a real eyeopener for those who think comparatively little will grow there.

  • 20 years ago

    Bend is a beautiful area! I will be there in about a week and will try to pay attention to what grows well there. Basically, it's high desert with lots of pine trees. I remember seeing fruit trees and juniper.... ;-) You may need to amend the soil, as volcanic remnants aren't terribly fertile. The ground can be rocky and hard - blasting is usually required for new construction. I'm sure someone who lives there will chime in with much more helpful info. :-)

    I also recommend the High Desert Museum, to become familiar with the local wildlife: http://www.highdesertmuseum.org/

  • 20 years ago

    Thanks...went to Borders and am now thumbing through pages!!

  • 20 years ago

    My parents live in Redmond and I have been in Sisters frequently in the last six months on business. In fact, I'm going again on Tuesday.

    Sisters is Ponderosa Pine forest, it is more forested than Bend or Redmond. There are many plants that will grow there but the ground is horribly rocky. Raised beds may be a way to go. Deer are also a significant problem.

    There is a nursery, I'll try to remember the name, which had hundreds of shrubs and perennials especially for the area and those that were deer resistant were all labeled as such. It had a much larger selection than several others I went to. It was off the beaten path on the back route between Bend and Redmond. But just a jog over from Sisters.

    Schilling Solar City Gardens is the name. It is on Old Bend Highway. Listed under Bend in the phone book. Not sure if I am supposed to post addresses and phone numbers here. They do not have a website that I could find.

  • 20 years ago

    On my trip to Bend last week, I was surprised to see many plants that we have up here in zone 8 (although I don't know how long they last in Bend). The trees are mostly pine and juniper, with some willows and firs. Plants I saw included: day lily, Rose Campion, epimedium, creeping jenny, forget-me-not, barberry, ladies mantle, spirea. Cottage garden-style yards were plentiful. It was quite warm, but enjoyable. There are many things to do and see in the area. I hope you'll enjoy it as much as I do! :-)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths