Software
Houzz Logo Print
hostaguy

watch out for hosta virus x - it's an epidemic!

20 years ago

I've been seeing HOSTA VIRUS X on many hostas out there in PNW consumer land. I've been notifying the staff/managers to pull their stock and call their suppliers. It's truly an epidemic! Most bad stock came from Holland, bad growing practices, lack of knowledge about the disease. Denial and lack of knowledge is spreading this junk.

Good Photo's:

http://www.northerngardening.com/HVX_2.htm

Detailed information:

http://www.perennialnursery.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=29789&sid=b1632f529fa8d1f4937c50179110962e

What you should know:

-Spread by sticky sap, sanitize clippers, shovels etc, when dividing.

-Sickly looking leaves, ink bleeding like ink that has bled from the leaf veins.

-Leaves tend to be deformed and curled, heavily draw stringed.

-Mottled, irregular patterns

-May not show up in a plant for more than 4 years! In other words... plants that look healthy may be infected.

-Tissue cultured plants are tested for disease, but they may not test specifically for HVX, Most are learning to test for HVX, awareness is starting.

-Infected plants should be double bagged and discarded, leaving no plant material.

What you should do:

-Buy from a reputable grower that is aware of HVX and tests for it.

http://www.perennialnursery.com

http://www.naylorcreek.com

No, I don't work for either!

-Notify nurseries that their plants may be infected with HVX if you spot it. If they refuse to pull the plants, then tell them you're not going to shop their anymore - they have to take some responsibility for their stock!

- If you bought an infected plant, bring it back (bagged up well) and ask for a refund.

Commonly infected cultivars:

Undulata Albomarginata

Goldrush

Birchwood Parky's Gold

Gold Standard

Striptease

Breakdance

Paradise Joyce

Stiletto

El Nino (from 2004, the 2003 plants tested negative)

Sum & Substance

Golden Tiara

Photos of Other diseases that affect Hostas:

http://www.hostalibrary.org/diseases/diseases.html

Comments (15)

  • 20 years ago

    Hey Hostaguy, what is the real threat of the virus? Will it kill the plants? I'm asking because I have a Sum and Substance that has the virus and the gold leaves are molted blue. If you ask me, the Hosta looks pretty stinkin' fabulouse! It's been in the ground for three years, right in the middle of a bunch of other Hosta varieties that remain uninfected.

  • 20 years ago

    Gee, it would be a real shame if we couldn't grow hostas anymore, wouldn't it?

    [Boos and tongue cluckings ensue, in the fashion of the House of Commons]

    How about a virus that makes them impervious to slugs? In the meantime, I applaud anyone trying to alert the consumer and improve nursery practices, whatever the particular issue.

  • 20 years ago

    I think a current trend towards mass production encourages an environment where these diseases thrive - too much production too fast and little attention to the details. I've recently encountered several instances of viral infection at my nursery, fortunately none yet with the hostas - an entire batch of astrantia, a crocosmia, a variegated polygonatum and rather surprisingly, an oxydendrum. And a proliferation of echinaceas affected with aster yellows, which affects flower development and produces odd deformities. Since the echinaceas are currently a "hot" plant, I'd recommend you examine the new cultivars (and the old stand-bys) well before purchasing. Aster yellows can wreak havoc in a perennial garden.

  • 20 years ago

    >I've recently encountered several instances of viral infection at my nursery, fortunately none yet with the hostas - an entire batch of astrantia, a crocosmia, a variegated polygonatum and rather surprisingly, an oxydendrum. And a proliferation of echinaceas affected with aster yellows, which affects flower development and produces odd deformities.How were you able to establish that all of these are, in fact, virus-caused?

  • 20 years ago

    The symptoms were all distinctly viral in appearance - distortion and streaking or mottling of foliage, deformed shoots or flowers, stunted growth. The aster yellows of course is not viral per se, but similar in effect.

  • 20 years ago

    OH my goodness, finally a moment when my unrelenting scroungyness (in the form of propagating and sharing most of the plants my frineds and I get with each other) I am trying to think which plants I bought new this year, mostly ferns and fuschias, and which I traded for from private gardens, and I think its going to be OK, unless as someone mentioned they are looking "UNIQUE" because they are sick, but if it goes to fuchias, and some one gets an inky blue one, that person would be in glad company.

  • 20 years ago

    I'm so glad somewhat brought this up!!

    I have been seeing this HVX at several nurseries and I've been so tempted to tell them about it, but I have a history of being ignored and overlooked being perceived as a "kid".

    Most of the infected material I've seen has been at large hardware stores such as Lowe's and Home Depot. I get the feeling that they're trained to just sell whatever is delivered and to cover up any potential problem with their stock by informing consumers that it's a temporary condition and/or they have a "one-year guarantee" should the plant fail. They have to just sell, sell, sell!!!

    Hostas are very popular shade perennials. If this gets out of control....ugh, I don't want to think about it!

    Riz

  • 20 years ago

    Lots of conditions that look viral, including many variegations, aren't caused by viruses. Unless something is real distinctive I wouldn't say it was virally induced without a laboratory procedure showing that it was.

  • 20 years ago

    I have had sufficient training in plant pathology to be able to recognize and determine viral characteristics. If not 100% of the plants suspected are actually afflicted by a virus, they are still unsalable and could contaminate unafflicted plants or carry the problem, whatever it is, back to someones elses's garden. And plant viruses are very common and becoming increasingly so. Best to destroy them. Retail nurseries and home gardeners don't have the resources or ability to send every suspected plant to a lab for testing and there is nothing wrong in erring on the side of caution.

    And I'd be interested in knowing what the "lots of conditions" are, other than perhaps phytoplasmas, that produce virus-like characteristics.

  • 20 years ago

    What a special ability. Others need a lab to be sure.

  • 20 years ago

    Thanks, your sarcasm is always so appreciated.

  • 20 years ago

    Despite the waring factions above, I appreciate the information and will add it to my plant disease folder as another plant disease to be aware of. It is always better to be aware than uninformed.

  • 20 years ago

    >Thanks, your sarcasm is always so appreciated.Whereas your earlier post to me, "You are full of crap" you figured I would welcome?

    If you don't want to be challenged don't post debatable statements on the internet.

  • 20 years ago

    Passing the peace pipe to bboy and gardengal48. You both have worthy experience and advice to bring to the table, which we thoroughly appreciate. So no fights!

    Anyhow, HOSTA Virus X is fairly easy to spot in my experience, there are tale tell signs. Ink bleeding across leaf veins seems to be the best indicator (see pictures in my first post). Yes, environmental (cold/hot/physical damage) issues and even sporting (mutations) could throw one off thinking their plant might be infected - do your research - quarantine and watch the plant, considering testing if a prized plant, otherwise... don't take a chance, get rid of it.

    Nwnatural, to answer your question.... An infected hosta with HVX will languish and not perform well and some will most certainly die a very slow death. Not to mention how ugly and sickly the plant will look in comparison to a non-sick plant. Thanks for your interest!

    Azngrnthumbs, yes! please do speak up, whether it be The Home De-POT or Lowes, whatever nursery you happen to be browsing. Talk to the department supervisor if possible, they tend to be much more responsive. It takes a little bit of courage, but you're helping out the garden world. I've heard that Lowes has responded much better to customer complaints about HVX, they're supposed to be investigating their suppliers, much better than Home Depot response. Although, I still see many sickies at Lowes, sigh.

    Anyhow, awareness is the key, let the world know about this.

  • 20 years ago

    Nwnatural, if you're going to keep the potential sickie, then.... I would keep it away from other plants. You don't want to even chance having that infection spread.