Software
Houzz Logo Print
cybergardener

@#$!% Squirrels !!!

20 years ago

I am at my Witt's end over the squirrels in my neighborhood. I do a lot of container gardening because the place I live at is a rental. I have used mulch / wood chips to keep the potting soil from splashing up on the plants and help with water retention. Well, the little guys have taken to digging in every container.

They dig in every container, moving the mulch around, then digging deep 4-6 inch holes right next to every plant stem.

I have tried the following:

1) Human and dog hair in the mulch

2) Sprinkling Cayenne pepper over the mulch

3) Hot pepper wax spray all over the plant, mulch, soil, pot

4) Marigolds

5) My husband with a bee-bee gun

6) I have a dog and a cat

7) Plastic netting surrounding the pots

They still keep digging. The pepper stuff works until I water the plants. The hair worked until they realized that the tufts of hair weren't alive.

The next thing I am going to try is replacing all the mulch with gravel and lava rock. This will be expensive as I have over 90 containers containing herbs, vegetables, annuals and perennials, small trees, etc.

Does anyone else have any suggestions? I do have a dog and a cat so poison is not an option.

Thanks,

CG

Comments (7)

  • 20 years ago

    I also have a lot of squirrels, that I admit, I feed peanuts. In my pots I put larger rocks, not gravel but 2-3 inch size river rocks. They can't dig them up and the water goes through with no problem. The only time I have any real problems with this is my pots of spring bulbs because the rocks are in the way for the sprouting bulbs and the critters love to dig them up.

    Usually when they are burying the peanuts, of course.....

    Wanda

  • 20 years ago

    Just keep up with #5 to try to defeat the peanut crowd. The eastern grey squirrels have taken over here. I only hear one native red squirrel this year.--Sad....

  • 20 years ago

    This will be a problem in developed areas as long as we continue to destroy their habitat. Don't want to come off as a tree-hugger but I live SW of Port Orchard and have lots of squirrels but never a problem in the garden as they have plenty of native habitat.

    BTW; poison is likely illegal.

  • 20 years ago

    Don't worry about being a tree hugger, I have several large trees in my yard and love them. And yes, even though all of the yards in my neighborhood are in the 1/4-1/2 acre range, the squirrels have no native habitat to call their own.

    We just moved here from Colorado last summer. The squirrels in Colorado are nearly twice the size they are here. The funny thing is that the Colorado squirrels never dug in my Colorado gardens and containers, and I mulched everything. The only time they were ever in my beds was to hide Milk Bones from the dog. And these were aggressive squirrels, the type that walk up and demand that you refill the bird feeder.

    Thanks for the input,

    CG

  • 20 years ago

    The pest squirrels here are Eastern Gray Squirrel. Their native habitat is eastern North America. They are not infesting western parks and gardens because their habitat is being destroyed. They migrated across the plains as these were settled, providing them with the same man-made habitat that they now occupy out here.

  • 20 years ago

    Know what you mean, I had 2 pots of Hydrangea seedlings, and now have only one. The brown and gray squirrels seem to get along well together on our little acre. And yep, we feed them peanuts as well, that seems to deter them from digging up bulbs in the ground.If possible, you might try digging your pots into the ground so only the rim is visible. I have done this with 25 gallon pots for some of my Hygrangeas cause of tree roots and they dont seem to bother with them, its only when the pots are just set on top of the ground that they become curious and mischeivous!

  • 20 years ago

    I use pot shards. The edges are sharp, and they will cut their little feet, of course with 90+ pots, well I hope you don't have that many shards! I used to use river rocks, but they ended up in little piles all over my yard - think Blair Witch Project, almost scary :) The larger sized drain rock never seems to get picked up though, maybe because they aren't so smooth. Anything that is sharp is a good plan, rose canes, blackberry canes, etc. Cayanne is still a good choice, and my squirrels seem to have learned that I do reapply - I used to buy it in bulk, every other week, but this year the number of squirrel holes is way down, and I haven't peppered in a couple of months.