Software
Houzz Logo Print
anewbie

Dynamite Crape Myrtle Tree

20 years ago

I was thinking about planting a couple of these in my front yard. I have the type of front yard with two squares of grass in the front yard with the walkway dividing them. Ideally, I would like to plant them centered on each side to provide some shade for the front lawn in the summer. I am finding different numbers for height and width. Once place to order from says that the mature height is 20 to 30 ft and width is 15 ft.

The thought of planting trees makings me a little paranoid. The first thing I'm concerned about is stability. Last year we got a couple good storms that rattled my windows.. I have neighbors pretty close- Is the stability of this tree something to worry about?

Second, if the width is 15 feet, to make sure it doesn't invade on neighbors space, would I simply plant it 15 + feet in all directions from their yards?

Comments (6)

  • 20 years ago

    In our PNW climate, crape myrtles seldom reach tree-like proportions. They are most often seen as multi-stemmed shrubs in the 10-15' height range, although the spread of a mature one can achieve 15'. Look for them locally - they will be selections that will perform well in our less than steamy summers, a situation they prefer. Flowering is also not always reliable in many cases, for the same reason. They need a good, sunny, reflected heat location to bloom dependably.

    For spacing, divide the estimated mature spread in half - a shrub or tree with a 15' wide canopy will extend approximately 7.5 feet away from the trunk or main stems in all directions. But plants also seldom grow in precise circles, so plan accordingly :-)

  • 20 years ago

    Thanks!

  • 20 years ago

    I bought a liner from forestfarm awhile back, planted against a hot wall in Island County. So far it is dawdling terribly. This summer I noticed the Cape fuchsia it is supposed to be seen behind is shading it quite a bit. Wood chip mulch (which cools the soil, another possible problem) also got in around the stem at one point.

    Seattle has at least 5 locations with accurately measured crape myrtles ranging from 21 ft. to 32 1/2 ft. tall. See Jacobson, TREES OF SEATTLE - SECOND EDITION, page 120.

    Here is a link that might be useful: Lagerstroemia indica 'Whit II' Cultivar

  • 20 years ago

    I'm confused.. in some photos it looks much more like a large bush.. Not anything like what I'm looking at. (see link)

    Does this mean it's a gamble?

    I found a seller online that sells them for a quarter of what the local nurseries are selling them for, so I was hoping to just order through there.

    It sounds like it's a bit too risky of what will come up.

    Here is a link that might be useful: Dynamite Trees

  • 20 years ago

    Assuming you live in Seattle are, there's a demonstration bed of a bunch of different Crape Myrtles at the Center for Urban Horticulture (east end near parking lot?).

    Remember, you can always prune to keep away from neighbor's property if and when that day comes. Also, you neighbor may like it touching their property line. I would not order it online. Better to see what you're buying, no? I do like a few mail order nurseries like Forest Farm, but if you can get a larger specimen locally, go for it. In terms of things you can spend money on plants are relatively cheap for the return.

  • 20 years ago

    I'm in Oregon.

    Thank you for your replies. I went to a great nursery today and looked around. I have decided that for my front yard, I'll get something that I can see in person. I may end up buying the one I found on online, but since it seems to be a bit of a gamble, I will be planting it in an area that wont make a huge difference if it doesn't turn out as I wanted :)

    I appreciate your help.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting