Software
Houzz Logo Print
grant_in_seattle

Pineapple broom--Opinions? Experience?

20 years ago

Hi everyone,

My new (for me) little garden came with a large woody tree-sized specimen of pineapple broom (Cytisus battandieri--link below). No no no, not Scotch broom or any of the other weed types. It was overgrown and unattractive so I've removed the main trunk.

That being said, the new shoots are coming in from the base as expected, and I have a seedling in the back garden as well. Do you think they're worth keeping, and do you have experience keeping them as very small tree sized or even large shrub size?

Generally I hate the look of true trees being repeatedly hacked back to be "shrubs", but some plants seem to handle it well, and I see most references referring to this plant as a large shrub rather than tree (though mine had a twenty foot tall main trunk which I'd call a tree, lol).

I guess this is mostly Plant Pity talking but if you've seen them grown as smaller specimens please share. I'm not quite sure if I should keep them or get rid of them.

Thanks,

Grant

Here is a link that might be useful: Pineapple broom on BBC's gardening plant list

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting