Software
Houzz Logo Print
shamrockgal_gw

Cannas

20 years ago

Has anybody had any trouble with their cannas in the northern part of WA? Email me.

Comments (11)

  • 20 years ago

    What sort of trouble?

  • 20 years ago

    I had some in pots and they came back but didn't get to the bloom stage before frost. In the ground they died over winter. Good luck with them.

  • 20 years ago

    Hi!
    My cannas, some three years old, left in the ground and mulched heavily in winter, are not as tall, the blossoms are smaller, fade faster and some discoloration on a few leaves. I do fertilize. The problem is the same in different beds, so I don't believe it's a virus. I water every day and can only believe it is weather related. I'm unsure as to what I should do with them now.

  • 20 years ago

    Many summer flowering bulbs and tubers need a good deal of summer heat to perform well, something that is not always in good supply in the PNW. And the late season cold snap we had in February set a lot of plants back, as the soil was slower to warm this spring. I find I get much better results if these types of plants are grown in containers - the soil heats up faster and remains so longer than in the ground, they can be staged in areas where they will receive reflected heat as well and winter drainage issues and fertilizing (if necessary) can be more closely controlled.

  • 20 years ago

    Several canna viruses are becoming quite common in the NW. I've seen it in many nurseries.

    http://www.ipm.msu.edu/cat06land/l05-26-06canna.htm

    Here is a link that might be useful: Canna virus thread

  • 20 years ago

    This is my first season growing cannas. One is finally in bloom, however, since the plants were culls from an unknown garden, I'm not familiar with the varities. I figured they would be taller and planted a few to the back of the beds. I'm in mind to transplant them to containers for next season's bloom. Thus far I haven't noticed any virus or concerns in their behavior. Although, by now I expected more lush blooms but my gardens have historically looked the best towards the end of summer.

  • 20 years ago

    Last summer I had great success with cannas in pots on my deck. A fellow gardener encouraged me to put them into my border, said they'd do fine. I planted several varieties in the border this spring/early summer, and divided the cannas in the pot, putting half of the tubers in the perennial border. All of the cannas were slow this year. Even the canna in the pot, which gets regular water and fertilizer, is only half the height it was at this time last year and isn't nearly so vigorous. There's nothing visibly wrong with any of the plants (I have 3 varieties), they just don't haven't taken off. None have bloomed, and I doubt they'll manage it before frost.

  • 20 years ago

    I have one in a pot that is absolutely lovely --at least the leaves are! The flowers are small and puny. The ones in the ground were started in the g/h in pots and transplanted in May. They are doing fine, lush and healthy but are just coming into bloom. I lost one by overwintering in a large pot, but the ones in well drained soil came up, but late. I think it best to lift the tubers and start them in pots early. They are a neat addition to a tropical garden.

  • 20 years ago

    I planted my first Canna this year in a pot that gets a good deal of sun and good water/fertilizer. I've got beautiful foliage, but no blooms, and at this late date, am thinking blooms very unlikely this year...

  • 20 years ago

    I buy cannas yearly as annuals for my pond. I tried to over winter one one year, by digging up the tubers, storing them in the garage, and replanting them in a pot in the spring. But I've discovered it just isn't hot enough out here (and I don't have a greenhouse) to get good results. I don't even remember if I got any sprouts from that plant. So I've resorted to purchasing them yearly, with buds, so I can enjoy a late display of them in the pond, since they're so pretty.

  • 20 years ago

    I bought my first canna last year, a Wyoming in a two gallon pot that I plopped right into the waterfall retention above my pond. It was beautiful and bloomed like crazy. When I went to take it out last fall, it had obliterated the pot so I cut it and put it in a 5 gallon bucket in my garage. Last spring I planted it in a sunny location and it is now 8' tall and has been gorgeous all summer, in fact it is still blooming. The only thing I've given it is Peter's Blossom Buster. I'm going to leave it in the ground over the winter so I guess I'll find out next year just how that's gonna work for me :-)