Software
Houzz Logo Print
judywww

Best placement question

19 years ago

I made a wonderful trip to Gossler's on Friday to pick some trees and shrubs in their fall color. I know just where I want to put the items that were on my list....like the Acer griseum that I've been wanting for a couple of years. Of course there were a few impulse items and I'm trying to decide best spots for them.


BTW have you seen Chamaecyparis 'Wissels Saguro' absolutely irresistable: dark green with slight bluish tint, narrow column to 6' or 8', armlike braches that resemble saguro cactus, "arms" and column are 3 sided when viewed from the end of the branch/top of the column looking back toward the trunk/base....very cool little guy....and at least at my house deer have never touched Chamaecyparis.


Here's the question. Mahonia 'Charity'.....I have two possible spots. One is always bright and has full sun from noon to sunset and the other is beautifully backed by dark firs but is bright shade most of the day with only a few (probaly 3 or 4 hours) of absolutely direct sun. Which would be the better choice? I would also like some info (forgot to ask at Gossler's when I had the opportunity) on how/when to cut back to get best branching effect. I've looked on the web and it is all very vague. Will it branch at all if left as is?

thanks.....jwww

ps....also went to NW Garden Nursery...also wonderful.

Comments (5)