Software
Houzz Logo Print
pdxjules

Pre-Frost Garden Fun

19 years ago

Chilly nights usually lead first to blackened basil, then to black stem tomato death. 2 of my small-leaved Basil plants are already indoors in mixed pot arrangements, near sunny windows to continue giving me aroma therapy, and leaves for meals.

Now is the time to enjoy a few sun breaks by doing some fall harvest season-extending and over-wintering of other plants that can make it inside. Begonia and Brugmansia are indoors, and will get rainwater as often as possible to stay healthy.

Last week I did the last compost feeding of outdoor plants for a rush of strong new growth. The rain washed that in and I saw an immediate response. I have been covering some tomatoes and peppers at night, this time using some old curtain sheers as a row cover.

This week I pruned tomatoes again, and tossed some apple peelings and old apples near tomato plants, hoping the gasses will help speed ripening of green fruit.

I think my experiments are working. I'm harvesting more ripened tomatoes now per day than I did all summer, which was rather sparse this year - I think due to high temps.

Last night I took big bags of seed to my Monday Pub, and doled out envelope after envelope of different fresh seeds to anyone nearby who wanted to try to begin an organic garden. That was great, and I'll do it again. A friend at another table was coaching parents of new puppies on their growth and how to be a good Master, as I was coaching budding gardeners.

Today I dug and potted up all outdoor Peppers, tapping the bottom of the pots on the ground to be sure soil fills in around the roots. The wind is beginning to blow, so I'll bring them in before dark.

I also dug coleus to bring indoors, and moved outdoor pots around a but to impove the display for fall, and to provide sunny-side shelter for some tender perennials. I removed English Lavender from pots and planted them in the ground...which gives me more pot space for the coleus, and will allow the lavender to grow to it's mature size.

Along the way, I pull weeds, and fill 5-gallon buckets with leaves and dried stems to do some basic clean-up near where I am working.

I've begun topping Aster, Sunflowers, calendula, allysum and other late summer, & easy re-bloomers, to try to stimulate more flower production during this blissful Indian Summer weather.

Now that I've had a break, I will change clothes, get on the bus to pick up some good coffee at Peets, have a nice walk to my frineds house, and harvest Dahlia blooms at Kathie's to keep hers producing while she's on vacation.

Leaves can stay right where they are, to show off color on the ground, till fall planting of Garlic and Catawissa Onions is done. I'm also planting spuds, and will mulch heavily with leaves to prevent rot, since I hear it is to be a mild winter.

I'm trying to cook as much as I can from the garden at least once a day, and am enjoying gleaned apples and pears in oatmeal or baked goods every few days. traders Joes had banannas for 29 cents a pound this week, so I tried to get greenish ones, as they'll have to wait till my the aging apples I got at last month's Alpaca-Ranch visit(for a fun doo-shoveling evet) are used. That box of yellow apples are beginning to show brown, do I need to eat one every day, and will be making applesauce and apple butter any day now - when alliums and spuds planting is done, or when a cold day hits. I really enjoy harvest cooking, & having cinnamon aroma in the house. Nostalgic goodness - all free.

I love sun-breaks in autumn.

What are other gardeners doing?

Comments (4)

  • 19 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    I have to say that bringing in tomato and other plants from outside to keep them going inside last year was a terrible mistake, as I didn't realize they were infested with aphids, and the aphids got on my houseplants and wreaked havoc. Perhaps spraying with Safers Insecticidal Soap would have killed them, I don't know.

    I've been dividing a lot of plants and moving them into new areas I need to landscape. It saves me a lot of money on buying new plants.

    I'm checking the pole beans for dry pods frequently as once they dry they will mold in rain. Then I dry them a little inside and shell, for seeds next year. I'm also fermenting cucumbers to save seeds this year for the first time.

    I like to rake leaves into areas to kill grass and weeds over winter, like under my maples and in a couple of places under trees where I would like to replace grass with natives like salal, Oregon holly grape, and Trilliums.

    I'm trying to get to all the weeds that are coming up now in flower beds and then mulch the beds with chipped blackberry vines and cedar branches, to hopefully keep the weeds from coming back over winter. The berry vines need major attention now as they are starting to tip-root and increase.

    I will have to try your idea with the apple peels under the tomato plants, and see if I have anything to cover them with. Ripening has really slowed down. Cool ideas!

  • 19 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    For a long time I was working on finishing a greenhouse, which I finally did last week. At the moment, I'm hauling all my succulents into the greehouse and pulling the weeds out of them. Even with gloves, I have cut myself several times. I have also been taking a lot of cuttings of various plants for propagation.

  • 19 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Tender plants to be kept going should be covered or brought inside in September, while indoor and outdoor condtions are still comparatively similar. Tomato plants can be kept alive and ripening longer just by covering them right where they were in the garden. Once it gets definitely chilly they will go of course, covered or not.

  • 19 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    You've been busy! Thanks for the great post. I love hearing about who is doing what, and when.

    This past weekend I changed out three of my four huge window boxes to winter interest plants (the boxes are large and came (neglected) with the house so I've nailed them along the top of the boring wooden fence surrounded the front yard so neighbors and passersby can see/enjoy them (I painted them to match the house)). The new plants look great and should provide some nice spots of color through the upcoming months.

    I've also been doing some pruning and a lot of grubbing out of poorly placed plants that I inherited with this house. The yard is tiny and I don't appreciate a huge overgrown red-twig dogwood, mock oragne, and purple smokebush right in the center, heh heh, so they're all being moved more towards the garden edges.

    Like you, I've been taking cuttings of favorite tender perennnials like coleus and fancy-leaf zonal geraniums (I've got an 'Alabama Sunset' coleus (my very favorite) that I've been carrying along cutting to cutting for many years now; same for some of the fancy-leaf zonal geraniums).

    Other than that, the rest has been basic garden maintenance and moving things like potted agaves under the eaves for winter.

    This weekend I'll spend time cleaning up frost-damaged (okay, dead, heh heh) plants, and starting a new compost pile.

    Keep the plant activity updates coming.
    Happy gardening,
    Grant

    Here is a link that might be useful: