My builder uses Houzz Pro to plan the timeline and give detailed estimates and daily updates with photos of progress, and provide invoices at pre-agreed key points in the build. This made the whole experience much more efficient and stress-free.
I'm thinking of getting an Arbutus unedo. I want a smaller cultivar that will stay 5' to 10' tall.
In another thread, gardengal mentioned that Arbutus unedo 'Compacta' is said to be "a reluctant flowerer". Has anyone else found this to be the case? How does it compare to 'Oktoberfest'?
Plants sold as 'Compacta' here don't fit the depiction in the 2002 edition of The Hillier Manual of Trees & Shrubs (Hillier Nurseries, David & Charles, Newton Abbot) of it being
A small, dense shrub, often shy-flowering and fruiting
and may instead be a seed strain as I have seen varying characteristics right in the same block. Large growth and abundant flowering and fruiting appear to be typical with these. With the other cultivar you are more likely to get a clone that performs as represented.
Otherwise, the best one is 'Rubra'. But it is not dwarf.
Today I saw Molbak's has one or two clones on offer as 'Compacta' that look dwarf. But the ones in the five gallon pots have flowerheads dispersed throughout.
(They also have a much better supply of one gallon camellias than Emery's, Sky, Swanson's or Wells-Medina. Wells-Medina has a huge block of camellias in bigger pots out behind the store, in front of the shade and flowering trees. I assume these are going to be moved into the bigger greenhouse soon.)
Probably another instance where something was selected, named and put on the market a long time ago and has long since been replaced by seedlings or multiple clones that have little or nothing to do with the original introduction. When I see multiple assorted different flowers and leaves all together I'm inclined to think I'm looking at mixed seedlings rather than a vegetatively propagated clone.
Other familiar examples are what are clearly seedling populations being sold as 'Bloodgood' maple and named forms of flowering currant.
Embothrium
Embothrium
Related Professionals
Lake City Landscape Architects & Landscape Designers · Fayetteville Landscape Architects & Landscape Designers · Jacksonville Landscape Architects & Landscape Designers · Athens Landscape Architects & Landscape Designers · Bloomington Landscape Contractors · Charlottesville Landscape Contractors · Albany Landscape Contractors · Odessa Landscape Contractors · Mount Vernon Architects & Building Designers · Bowling Green Architects & Building Designers · Branson Architects & Building Designers · Gloucester Architects & Building Designers · Eau Claire Architects & Building Designers · Santa Fe Architects & Building Designers · Eugene Architects & Building Designerslarry_gene
ian_wa
Embothrium