Software
Houzz Logo Print
toad_ca

flowers from seed

17 years ago

I know this will be an excruciatingly general set of questions, but you've got to start somewhere, right?

I grow tomatoes, peppers, lettuces, and peas from seeds without a qualm. The peppers and tomatoes begin indoors, under lights and the others are direct-seeded outdoors. But since I moved here to the Northwest, I've fallen in love with ornamentals! I want lots and lots of flowers and interesting shrubs, but--surprise, surprise--I don't have lots and lots of money. Seed catalogs and gardening magazines make me crazy. I want everything.

Deep breath.

In general, does it make more sense to start flowers indoors,under lights, with my veggies or can I direct seed them in early spring and still get blooms? Just as an example, there are lots of gorgeous-looking varieties of echinaceas coming out, but they are hideously expensive (Dutch Gardens is asking $19.95 for one Coconut-Lime in a 4" pot). What kinds of results can I get with seeds?

Thank you all for your patience with a flower-beginner.

Comments (7)

  • 17 years ago

    Since you're on a tight budget, you might like to take a look at the Winter Sowing Forum. It's easy, inexpensive and really works. There aren't any lights, heat or other indoor things to buy.

    Here is a link that might be useful: Winter Sowing Forum

  • 17 years ago

    There are several echinacea you can start from seed, but not necessarily these newest hybrids in pastels - they don't come true from seed, or some are even sterile - at least my tangerine e. Evan Saul hasn't set seed in the two years it's produced flowers...a lot of flowers, no mature seed at all.

    Linked is a database (Clothiers) that gives suggestions for conditions for germinating many types seed - the suggestions there are most often for stored or commercial seed unless otherwise noted.

    A wonderful book for seed starting (in fact, for most propagating methods) is Making More Plants by Ken Druse...you can always check it out from the library and not necessarily buy until you know if this will be a lasting interest for you. His recommendations are more often for fresh seed.

    While you may get a bloom or two from perennials grown from seed in their first year, you shouldn't expect any kind of significant showing until years two and three. Not all will germinate sown under lights, some will need a period of moist chill before bringing back to warmth - called stratifying. You can use your refrigerator, or Mother Nature can take care of that easily for us in our climate by placing the seed pots outdoors. I often treat seeds that need stratification the English way, top the seed pots with grit or fine aquarium gravel to prevent heavy rains from dislodging the seed, place them outside on my deck exposed to winter weather. If left outdoors, germination takes place in late winter to early Spring, you've saved the space under your lights and there is no hardening off process to deal with.

    There is also an active Winter Sowing forum on GW where seeds of all types are sown in closed vented containers and placed outdoors. I'm very close to the moderating ocean and haven't found covering the containers to be of any advantage to me in sowing perennials, trees or shrubs - you might find otherwise (although I do have to use a length of chicken wire to protect the pots from sparrows.)

    Here is a link that might be useful: Clothiers database

  • 17 years ago

    I forgot to mention that Jim Eichner is having his Winter Seed Sowing Saturday on the 17th of January in Redmond. I'm sure you could get all kinds of help and advice there. Barb

    Here is a link that might be useful: Winter Seed Sowing Saturday

  • 17 years ago

    Thank you both! This is great information.

  • 17 years ago

    Dear Toad_CA

    Yes, come to the winter sowing event on Jan 17, and you can winter sow dozens of species of ornamentals.

    Jim Eichner
    425-223-7249 cell anytime

  • 17 years ago

    Regarding the echinaceas and other newer plant introductions........you are unlikely to find seeds for named cultivars. And I'd be skeptical about finding seeds for named cultivars on places like eBay, for example. Most named cultivars of perennials are propagated asexually, not from seed, as they are either sterile hybrids or most typically, do not come true to form from seed. Many of these plants are patented which restricts asexual propagation but makes no restriction on seed propagation, primarily because the breeders are not worried that growing these plants from seed will dilute their efforts.....you are just not going to get the same thing. It is for that reason that seed-grown offspring of named cultivars cannot technically (and legally) be called by that cultivar name.

    FWIW, unless you are located truly out in the boonies or are looking for something very rare or unusual, I'd not be inclined to look much to mail order for common, popular plants. We are blessed with a vast number of retail outlets in this area that offer a huge array of plants from local growers - even grocery stores tend to offer some of the "hot" new introductions of echinaceas, heucheras, hellebores, etc. from local growers, like Briggs Nursery, T&L and Skagit Gardens, and at very reasonable prices. $19.95 for a 4" pot by mail order is crazy when you can get the same thing locally in a lush, full gallon size for the same, or more likely, a lower price. And no shipping expense, either, although you may have to fork out some change for gas :-)

  • 17 years ago

    Yes, I'm hoping our local nurseries will carry some of the plants I'm lusting after. My few experiences with ordering plants by mail have not been happy ones. I prefer to use catalogs for seeds and inspiration, but I was sorely tempted to try again this year. Thanks all for getting me off the ledge!
    But how can Dutch Gardens get away with charging $19.95 for one plant in a 4" pot and Territorial Seeds charges $9.95 for the same plant??!!!