Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chris_ont

too soon to overseed?

chris_ont
16 years ago

Hi

The forecast for the next few weeks looks good, with temps in the low 70's but not a lot of rain, it seems.

We've just come off a bit of a brutal heatwave, so in comparison, this looks mighty fine.

Is this too soon to think about overseeding? I've been applying SBM and, in spite of the weather, my grass is looking in good shape except for some bald patches that I've been working on since buying the house last year.

Overseeding now probably means watering a lot, won't it? But is the temperature okay?

Comments (3)

• billhill
    16 years ago

This is the perfect time for you to overseed. Just mist the seedbed twice a day. Soil only has to be damp one inch below the surface. Any rain you get skip the watering that day. If it is cool and the lawn is wet from dew until noon, then only water once in the afternoon. Temps are going into the 40's tonight in southern Michigan. Cold wave headed towards PA. Bill Hill

• greenjeans_il
    16 years ago

I'm in zone 5a in Illinois (hence the user name) and I'll be putting seed down this evening or early tomorrow morning, depending on my work schedule.

So, seeding today may be a little early, but you'll be okay if you want to put it down tonight. ; ) Actually temps are perfect and we're quickly approaching what could be called "too late" depending on what kind of turf we're talking. If it's KBG, definitely put it down as soon as possible. If it's PR you can wait a couple weeks.

If you're worried about watering, there's a new product on the market called Straw Net. It's a pelletized straw mulch you put down over the seed. It's comparably priced with other straw blankets and even cheaper than some. Best part is it breaks down into the soil. Love that organic matter!

Greenjeans

• chris_ont
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks,
    I am having to water (the front lawn, anyway) because the city just replaced the sidewalk and has to re-sod the boulevard. We were asked to keep the new sod watered so I'll be watering in that area, anyway. I'll just put the sprinkler in the middle - people will have to walk around.

The seed I'm using is Scott's 'pure premium' Sun/Shade mix which is a Perennial Ryegrass, KBG and Fine Fescue, whatever that means. Seems about the only type of mix you can buy up here.

I just spent a few hours scraping the bald spots to remove dead grass and to loosen the soil. I don't have thatch issues. Gave me the opportunity to hand-pull all the crabgrass - ouch my achin' back!

So now I'm ready to overseed!
    It's actually drizzling a bit. Won't amount to much, I'm sure.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor