Software
Houzz Logo Print
amazondoc

first koi!

21 years ago

Well, I have officially lost my mind.

I kept fish for many years. Many fish. At one point I was running roughly 500 gallons worth of tanks all at the same time. I've kept most of what there is to keep, both fresh and salt.

But I've never had koi!

I haven't had ANY fish for the last coupla years. But I just couldn't resist Walmart's current sale on butterfly koi, which I've alway admired (I know, boo hiss on Walmart fish -- but.....).

So I bought some baby butterflies. And a kiddie pool. Stuck some of my water plants (I have four small water "gardens" in whiskey barrels and plastic tubs) in the pool -- in pots, so the fish can't eat them. I'm moving the koi into it this morning (it's been too cold the last coupla days, the koi have been inside). It's gonna be fun playing with them. If they make it to next winter, they can spend the cold months in one or more of my big tanks (take your pick -- 90, 110, 125 all sitting empty). Taking em inside is only because the wading pool is too shallow for me to feel good about leaving them out.

Wish me luck. I really didn't need fish to worry about, but I'm looking forward to spending afternoons staring at them. :-)

Comments (7)

  • 21 years ago

    Oh yeh - fish fever, I know it well. We had a rather large pond with a waterfall put in when we built our house 3 years ago. I was looking forward to plants and just soothing water sounds. Well, DH loves his fish. Stands there admiring them from the deck while he brushes his teeth in the morning. Wants more! Anyway, if you love them (and you will) get them a koi tunnel to hide in. We had one of our best disappear, think it was a hawk that was hanging around. They use it and we haven't lost any more.

  • 21 years ago

    Did you buy the koi tunnel? If so where did you find it. I also have a koi pond with waterfall and worry that something will get my fish.

  • 21 years ago

    I have had Orandas in my outside pond for 2 years and they are wonderful to watch. I use a plastic milk crate with a couple of rocks on top for them to hide in. So far they are fine. Be careful this is a very addictive hobby. First the wading pool next a small pond and before you know it the whole yard is taken up with water and fish.

  • 21 years ago

    www.Waterfordgardens.com or (201) 327-0712 We got the molded black plastic one with rock like texture - No. 6843 $27 (about the cost of 2 small fish). Works like a charm. Has been covered with a bit of algae so it's kindof hard to see unless you know where to look. Amazing how those fish know to head indoors when something is hanging around.

  • 21 years ago

    I LOVE fish! We fish every weekend. I've never tried Koi though. How do they taste? ;-)

    I've got a water/fire loss right now with a couple that are fish tank crazy! This guy raises/farms (?) Seahorses. He has two 230 gal tanks and then dozens of 10-100+ gal tanks. They're full of all linds of Seahorses. It's pretty cool. I didn't know this but the male gets pregnant and has the babies--HUNDREDS at a time. The wiring went bad on one of his 230's and started a fire. The fire caused the glass in the tank to heat up and poof, 230 gallons of water put the fire out. The house had a wonderful aroma of scorched dead fish. At least it wasn't another home that had 200 cats, that smell is about as bad as it gets. Such is my life.

  • 21 years ago

    Sounds like you need to build you a large garden pond! You would love it. I only have a 125 gal with goldfish, love it but I want a larger one, also have a whiskey barrel.

  • 21 years ago

    Thanks for the idea about the tunnel. I have old reptile hiding caves that should work just fine, at least while the guys are small. I'll put one in today!

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting