Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
constanceann

finished bathroom pictures!

constanceann
14 years ago

We finished our small upstairs bathroom back in October but then immediately had company visiting and then the holidays.... So, I am finally taking the time to post the pictures, thanks to my DH. I cannot thank everyone here enough for the the help. I learned so much on this forum. I never thought I'd spend so much time researching a toilet! "Potty talk" as my DH called it. We live in a small house that is plenty big enough for the two of us and our cat. The upstairs bath is mostly used by my DH. He saw a picture in a Pottery Barn catalog and we used that for our inspiration.

Here are the before pictures. Lots of 1980's decor!

Here are the after pictures. It is hard to capture such a small bath in pictures. The peacock feather was just a place holder for the bamboo I have since bought for the white vase. The last picture shows the wood-look tile. My DH wanted a warmer sense and we got that with the wood-look tile but without the concern of real wood. Everyone who sees it does not believe it is tile, so they have to bend down to touch it to see for themselves.

Here are the details:

Vanity and pulls - Lowes

Mirror and frame - Michaels(frame) Lowes (mirror)

Granite - Giallio Ornamentale

Sink Faucet - Grohe Arden brushed nickel

Sink - Toto

wallpaper - Asian Weaves and Textures/Asian Weave (looks like grasscloth)

Toilet - Toto Soiree 1.6 gal (love this toilet, even going from a 5 gal)

Shelves - Lowes, painted by us

Tub - Kohler Archer

Floor Tile - Unicom Starker Interni series Miele color (6x24)

Shower Tile - Imola Sirrah Aurea Noce polished (12x12)

Towel racks - Pottery Barn

Racks in Shower - Target 3M - these are great if you are nervous about permnent racks

Tub Faucet = Grohe Arden - Our big disappointment. It tarnished from the start!

Panasonic Whisperlite fan

Shower Arm and head - Rohl (7") and Symmons (they match the tub faucet well enough. It was about availability.....)

Now we are on to the down stairs bathroom which I use. I think it will go faster since I learned so much from this remodel!

Thanks again for all the help!

Connie

Comments (29)

• 3katz4me
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Wow - what a great transformation! I love seeing others smaller bathrooms since I'm trying to figure out what to do with mine. At first I thought - hmmmm - I wouldn't want wood floors in my bathroom and then I saw that it's tile - that's cool. Isn't there some kind of warranty on your faucet finish?

• computerklutz
    14 years ago

Wow, it is so gorgeous! I love everything about it, it is just so pretty. You did a wonderful job putting it all together.

• Stacey Collins
    14 years ago

What a wonderful transformation! I love how you repeated the curve on the vanity light, toilet design, hardware, and faucet... it looks great!

• constanceann
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for all the supportive comments. I have lurked on this forum for about a year now, learning so much and enjoying all the finished bath pics. I was nervous about posting pictures of such a small bathroom but there must be more people out there with small baths too!! My DH and I will look into a warranty on the tub faucet finish. I was thinking of stopping by the showroom where we bought it too. We will be purchasing another expensive Toto toilet, sink, etc from them so maybe they will do something for us on the faucet. We are just concerned about being able to get the old one out and replacing it without cracking the tile....

Thanks again. I really appreciate the comments. I never fully trust my design decisions! It's great to get the positive feedback! Even any negative feedback is helpful too!

Connie

• desertsteph
    14 years ago

it looks great! love it all - it all goes together so nicely too. can't wait to see what you do with the next one!

there are tons of us out here with small bathrooms too.

what racks in the shower? got a pic of them?

• constanceann
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks desertsteph! Here is a picture of the shower racks. The camera flash reflected in the tiles so ignore the white spots above the racks.

• annkathryn
    14 years ago

So pretty! You did a fabulous job pulling all the details together. Thanks for posting.

• astridh
    14 years ago

It's lovely. Congratulations. I will be bookmarking that floor tile!

• amck2
    14 years ago

What a lovely transformation. Thanks for posting pictures. I think a small bath is harder to do than a large one!

• emilynewhome
    14 years ago

I think the redo has definitely 'updated' your bathroom, even with keeping the layout the same it looks lovely, modern and a pleasure to use!

• computerklutz
    14 years ago

The racks are great...where did you get them?

• constanceann
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks! The racks are great! We were not sure about drilling into the expensive shower tile so we decided to give these 3M brand racks we found at Target, a try. They are the ones that hold with water proof tape which is hidden behind the plates. They have been up and in use now for over 4 months and no problem at all. They are not loose and have not rusted or lost color. They are brushed nickel and look as good as the ones that we saw at the expensive bath stores. I recommend giving them a try!

• gmnolen
    14 years ago

It's beautiful! I had heard from someone else about the wood look tiles. That is an awesome option for kitchens and baths! Thanks for the inspiration pics.

• minac
    14 years ago

The wood-looking tile is so cool. Your bathroom came out great. Did you get the gallery style frame w/matte from Pottery Barn? From your pics, I see the frames over the light switch and over the towel bar and I'm looking for something like that for my bathroom. Also, what size are the frames?

• constanceann
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks minac. The picture frames are actually from Home Goods. We just kept looking until we found some that matched the narrow width and color of the mirror frame. The picture over the towel bar is 13X13 and the frame is 1.5". The picture over the light switch is 9x11 and the frame is 1". We then just sized a couple of our vacation pictures to fit the mattes and printed them in Sepia style which is kind of brownish hues.

• debrak_2008
    14 years ago

I really like the wood look tile. It makes the room cozy and warm.

• thuesen
    14 years ago

How do you like your Kohler Archer tub? I'm thinking of getting the same one and it looks wonderful. What's the size you got? Do you feel there's enough room?

You're bathroom is beautiful; it makes me very excited to start my own! Great job!

• computerklutz
    14 years ago

Wow, I am so impressed the racks are from Target (one of my favorite stores). They look like ones I've seen in a few bath showrooms. I definitely am going to look at those. Thanks for the headsup.

So how are you enjoying being in such a pretty bath? It must be relaxing. I'm sitting in dust and debris as we try and finish ours. We have the tile in, but not all the electric is done (electrician coming back out to fix problem) and we have no shower door. Hopefully I will be at done stage soon!

• jotx
    14 years ago

Wow Connie you and your DH did a beautiful job! I love your style! I'm assuming this was a total DIY project. If you don't mind telling do you have an idea of what the remodel costs you including labor if any? My DH and I are looking to do a DIY bath project. My bath would be a little larger than yours but basically the same style, tasteful but not over the top. Thanks so much!

Jo

• constanceann
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for all the positive words. It means so much to me.

thuesen - Our Kohler Archer tub is 5 feet long. When we looked at the tub just out of the box in our basement we were afraid it was too narrow for showering but it turned out to be fine. It is a great soaking tub too. It does have the toe tap drain which was new to us and has taken some getting used to.

The only DIY we did was choose and pick up all the products, wall prep, ceiling painting, and some demo. We hired a contractor to do most of the demo, all of the sheet rock, tile, vanity installation and electrical work. We hired a plumber for sink, tub, toilet installation and a wallpaper guy to hang the wallpaper. We did the shelves, mirror, towel racks, pictures, and other accessories.

Given that we live in New England where everything is expensive and that we chose rectified porcelain Italian floor and wall tiles, and Toto toilet, we ended up spending almost $11K but that includes absolutely everything down to the new cup and toothbrush holder. Labor costs were $3500 for the contractor (our neighbor who does wonderful work), $1400 for plumbing, and $350 for the wallpaper labor. I was hesitant to throw out those numbers but I will be interested to get some feedback given that I am starting on the downstairs bathroom (also small) as we speak.

• jotx
    14 years ago

Thanks Connie for the info! That sounds like you did a great job on your budget considering that you had tear out as well as installation. I'm contacting a few contractors for bids. I'll try to get back and posts bids after I get them. I wish I could figure out how to convert my remodel design copy from PDF to JPG so I could attach a copy. Have a great day!

Jo -

• computerklutz
    14 years ago

$11 k for that gorgeous bathroom is a very good price!! Especially factoring in you live in the NE where things are very high. When I lived in the Pacific Northwest I could not believe the cost of redoing things...I think back 10 years ago we got charged over $1000 to install new toilet, sink and replace some plumbing on tub.

I have not added up my totals yet, but when I post my pictures I will. I came in at less, but then again, I live in Texas and labor is cheap.

• cookingkaren
    14 years ago

Looks great. You are inspiring me to solider on! What a production it all is--- especially three at a time! Enjoy your new digs.
    Karen

• dlh160
    14 years ago

Absolutely beautiful bathroom! Very nicely done. You mentioned you had a problem with your Grohe Arden tub faucet... any problems with the Grohe Arden sink faucet? How do you like it? I've been looking at that faucet for our guest bath and this came up in my search. Thanks in advance!

• constanceann
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi dlh160 - The problem we have is with the brushed nickel finish on the Grohe Arden tub faucet. It looks tarnished after showering so we have to use a product called Flicker (I think) to clean and kind of seal it periodically. As far as the Grohe Arden sink faucet goes - no problems. I do wonder if it is a low flow faucet. Not that it is a problem just seems a little different from our old one. We really like the style of the Arden sink faucet and so far I would recommend it.

Hope that helps. Good luck!
    Connie

• californiaplaya
    14 years ago

I like it. Its good looking, but simple and not overly fancy. I had planned for something similar for my small condo bath, but now that I found out I'll be laid off for a while, I've scaled back my remodel considerably. Good luck with your next bath!

• dlh160
    14 years ago

Connie,
    Thanks for the quick response... I went ahead and ordered the Arden sink faucet from Overstock. I really like the look of it on your vanity.
    Debbie

• californiaplaya
    14 years ago

Has anyone else been able to find this 3M corner caddy anywhere? I checked my local Targets and they don't have it. Only place I was able to find it was Amazon.

Here is a link that might be useful: 3M Command Corner Caddy @ Amazon

• vampiressrn
    14 years ago

Very nicely done...great transformation. All your materials and colors are wonderful. That tile is amazing...I would have to touch it too...LOL.