Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oaktree_35

what comes first?

oaktree_35
12 years ago

We closed on a property a few weeks ago and have a year to get plans and hire a builder. I am terrified and suddenly have no idea where to begin! Should we start with an architect, finalize plans, and then get bids from general contractors? Or do we start with finding a builder? We have a general idea of what we want for a floorplan.

A little about the project... it is an 1150 sq foot bungalow built in 1940 that is more or less condemned. The foundation is solid and can support 2 stories, and some of the exterior walls can be saved, so we plan to keep the footprint but completely change the floorplan. We'd like to add a 2nd story and a garage, and get the house to about 2500 sq feet. Our budget is $250k, and we are located in Chapel Hill, North Carolina. I've been reading other posts and realize this is a very tiny budget... I want an open floorplan, a big bright kitchen with a farmhouse sink and wood countertops, hardwood floors throughout, wood windows, 4 bedrooms and 2.5 baths. Can I do all of that with my little budget? I am having nightmares of being laughed out of architects' offices! Thanks for any advice.

Comments (2)