Software
Houzz Logo Print
oojeanie

sofa for rustic lodge style room

13 years ago
last modified: 13 years ago
I am remodeling the Family/TV room. I will get rid of the armoire, TV, sofa, and loveseat. I will keep the chair, but it can be reupholstered. I will keep the new TV in the same location. We have a large family and everything needs to be durable. I would like it to have a resort/lodge/rustic look. The dilemna--- the sofas I find which I like the looks of are not comfy. This sofa is reclining. Does it look too bulky or not classic enough? I chose a sectional with rolled arms to try to get as close to the look I want. The pics with the black sofas are what I have now. The other shows a room with the new sofas I would get in brown. They are by Lane.

Comments (15)

  • 13 years ago
    Why not keep the old sofas? They look fine to me & I do not see the point of exchanging one bulky but nice sofa(s) for another bulky but nice sofa(s). Educate me as to why you want to buy new. The chair is fine, too, & does not need re-upholstery. I'd keep the chair on the empty side of the fireplace to balance the TV. Look through these for rustic ideas on: styling a fireplace mantel & hearth, area rug, throw pillows to enhance area rug, styling coffee table, & new lamp for side table. http://www.houzz.com/rustic-lodge-family-room

    Here's an idea for the side table lamp, although I'd prefer hammered brass for your room (photo)
    Pierce Bedside Lamp · More Info
  • 13 years ago
    Your black sofas look good, but are too modern if you want a rustic lodge feeling.
    The brown sofas are more in keeping with your theme.

    I don't particularly care for the reclining versions. The recliners wear out. Especially from cheaper furniture manufacturers like Lane. But only you know your budget.

    Look at sofa models from Bradington-Young and Hancock & Moore. They are quality furniture made in the USA and have many models that I think would work with your design asthetic.

    http://www.bradington-young.com/american-leather-sofas.asp
    http://www.hancockandmoore.com/category.asp?categoryid=SO
  • 13 years ago
    If you are truly wanting a more rustic look, i would go with a less shiny leather sectional. Some of the bigger one's I have found are at the Dump. Maybe a medium brown to a darker brown or chaoclate. You could pop in a bright rug for ground the room or a cow hide. I also like the rough tables that look like old and have the wheels on the bottom- (I have been seeing them in many of the magazines). I would cover the fireplace brick or paint it. It needs some great art over the mantel and thing on the walls that are the proper scale. A few great accessories on the table and you are good to go! another thought would be to paint the wall to warm the room up! It looks like you have great lighting coming in through all the wonderful windows.
  • 13 years ago
    I agree with j222b---why buy new when what you have is fine? Spend your money wisely and invest in a nice area rug, window panels, paint, and new armoire. A new ceiling fixture, console table, tables, and lamps too. Switch places with your sofa and loveseat and move the chair and ottoman to the empty side of the FP. This room is quite easy to design. Good color palette and nice accessories is all it needs. Pics for items and pics with rooms are color, pattern, and texture inspiration... Good Luck to You!
    [houzz=
    Bashian Greenwich Fantasy Ivory Rug · More Info
    ][houzz=
    Rotunda Coffee Table - Anthropologie.com · More Info
    ][houzz=
    Natural Tree Stump Side Table · More Info
    ][houzz=
    Novo Console, Walnut · More Info
    ][houzz=
    Counter Factory Buffet · More Info
    ][houzz=
    Ella 9 Light Chandelier · More Info
    ][houzz=
    Park Hill Lantern · More Info
    ][houzz=
    Burlap Coffee Sack Pillow · More Info
    ][houzz=][houzz=
    Various Work · More Info
    ][houzz=
    Client Photos · More Info
    ]
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Hi there I for a rustic look you do need a new sofa I am not sure of your budget but I am attaching a model of a Leather Trend model. Fabulous manufacture and great leathers. The model I am attaching is not reclining but does have a chaise attached and is in a warm hand finished artisan leather. I do think if you are keeping the existing chair you should re upholster it. Also, consider painting the walls and ceiling to add some warmth to the room. Dress the windows and ACCESSORIZE, ACCESSORIZE, ACCESSORIZE. One last design tip: If you are not opposed a cow hide would look great on the floor with the look you are trying to achieve. For more Design Inspiration Visit my Blog: http://mummeinteriors.wordpress.com

    I am attaching a family room I did in Texas. In this room I actually had the brick fireplace refinished during the remodel. (LAST TWO PHOTOS) (FIRST PHOTO IS THE LEATHER TREND SOFA) Good Luck! Matt
  • 13 years ago
    Just read that your sofas are in bad shape---well I love what MUMMEINTERIORS proposd with that sectional---Very nice...
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Maybe it is a good idea to check out the williams-sonoma pottery barn for a rustic look. It looks really nice and fresh! I really don't like bulky furniture myself and I think that you wouldn't do much of a change if you bought the same sofas in a different color...
    I hope I helped you a bit....Eva
  • 13 years ago
    Pictures from pottery barn collection to give you an idea... Eva
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    I agree a dark brown leather couch and loveseat would lend itself better to the rustic look. I think your furniture positioning is fine. Have you considered painting the end table, coffee table and bookshelf in a darker color? Once you've done that you need something on the other side of the fireplace to balance the look - something else about the same height or built ins on both sides. A bigger (more rustic) mantel with something of size hanging above it would bring your eye up and give you a focal point - have you considered hanging a flat screen tv there? I agree that if you are going for the rustic feel you need to warm up your wall color and hang grommet window panels as close to the ceiling as possible. Use black or oiled rubbed bronze chunky rods and let the panels fall to the floor. Choose your wall color 1st and coordinate the panels with your wall or choose fabric with colors that you will want to assessorize with (pillows, throws, etc.) When you can you might want to consider replacing your ceiling fan with something more rustic and substantial in size.
  • 13 years ago
    If you desire a rustic look, consider a leather sofa similar to the styles pictured by MUMMEINTERIORS.
    The waterfall back style that you presently have and the replacement that you shared both have a modern look. As an alternative to leather, you might like to look at chenille upholstery. It's soft, comfortable and durable...perfect for curling up!
    Charmean Neithart Interiors, LLC. · More Info
  • 13 years ago
    Good ideas here. Something to balance TV is needed on other side of fireplace + your cat is scaring me. Will kitty ruin the new furniture?
  • 13 years ago
    Thank you everyone for your comments. Do you like this one better? It looks nice, and is good quality. My feet barely touch the floor when I sit on it though!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Great look for a rustic space!
  • 13 years ago
    Yes, I like the style of this sofa better. Will you be getting this in a sectional? Hope so. Good Luck!