Software
Houzz Logo Print
charleee

OLLD 11/4

13 years ago
Old Ladies Love Design, New Thread!!! Morning all!

Comments (61)

  • 13 years ago
    OOPS! Your brains ... Mine's already picked pretty clean!!
  • 13 years ago
    bdlee, are you in Placer County? I think that looks like a great place to live!

    And you may pick away!
  • 13 years ago
    Hi, y'all! My name is Julie, I'm 56 with 4 grown kids + 5 grandkids and I live in Austin,TX .(and won't use FB either!!!) soooooo-can I join you? Pretty please?
  • 13 years ago
    Yes, of course you may join us, and welcome!
  • 13 years ago
    BobbiP - actually, no, I'm not a fan of S-bucks. A little too strong. I might try the 2 pump, iced. vanilla latte and a blueberry muffin next time I'm there!! Maybe I'll become a fan of SB, if I try something new. Just have not found anything yet that I crave.
  • 13 years ago
    bdlee, what part of your house will you be remodeling?

    archdeckjulie, what are the popular interior wall colors in your region these days?

    Seems like gray is being painted on every surface of every building in the USA right now. I wonder if folks looking at gray walls every day will get depressed?
  • 13 years ago
    tipi, I think yes! Gray can be lovely but also depressing!
  • 13 years ago
    j222b, I crave EVERYTHING at Starbucks! But being diabetic I have to limit my cravings, dang!
  • 13 years ago
    I wonder what the "new-gray" will be? I'm getting tired of gray.
  • 13 years ago
    Grey. Why does nobody have any imagination? No offense to anybody. I do NOT want my house to look just exactly like everyone else's. I don't think this ever happened before HGTV. It seems like they set the rules & everyone (especially realtors) follow. I dance to my own tune. THEY don't live here, I do! So there. ( I'm not opinionated much!)
  • 13 years ago
    feeny, that's a lot of Starbucks! I thought I was bad! I desparately want a Keurig for at home....maybe Santa is listening. I actually saw my first Christmas commercial this morning! I couldn't believe it.
  • 13 years ago
    archadeckjulie, I used to be addicted to HGTV and now I never watch it anymore. The programs just got silly and I am SO TIRED OF HOUSE HUNTERS!!!
  • 13 years ago
    j222b, for a while I thought that bright apple green was going to rule the housing world. Sorry to anyone who likes that color, I just can't stand it.
  • 13 years ago
    feeny, you're scarin' me!
  • 13 years ago
    I have been noticing alot of BLUE on movies & tv shows lately. I love blue. Some of the blue-greys I even like, but once I painted a room grey & found it as uplifting as a rainy day, so it got repainted 2weeks later. One of my girls just painted her entire house grey. Guess that's one way to keep your guests from staying too long! Her house is lovely with punches of yellow but omg that's alot of grey!
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Hah! Have to say I love apple green, but only in other people's houses. Here's one to drive you crazy, Bobbi (and I think its adorable!):
    Staging Ideas · More Info
  • 13 years ago
    Bobbi-did you read that article about what really happens on House Hunters? Wow! A Big Scam. I read it in a blog & some folks who had been on the show had told the story. And that show Yard Crashers?
    There was a spin off last year that our company participated in. The host, who, on the show does ALL the work, sat in the air conditioned house while everyone else did the work in the 105degree heat until it was time for his 5min. "shot". I've pretty much quit watching after that.
  • 13 years ago
    archadeckjulie, I did read that article! What a scam. I stopped watching after Genivive Gorder became a hostess. I didn't like her on Trading Spaces, barefoot, goofy and wearing short leggings, and I don't like her anymore now. Candace Olson is ok, just over the top for me.

    I do record all the Sarah Richardson shows I can find, tho, she's good and I LOVE Tommy Smythe!
  • 13 years ago
    feeny, that house would make me run away screaming. However, this is one of the first kitchens I saw on Houzz, it almost made me leave Houzz forever! [houzz=
    Decorate by Holly Becker and Joanna Copestick · More Info
    ]
  • 13 years ago
    I'm with you, on the apple green, feeny. That kitchen is gorgeous....but I would tire of it. I painted my family room this gorgeous appley green-only got one wall done before I decided it was not going to work. Alot of it was about the light. I'd painted a very similar color in a rental we had & it was one of the prettiest colors ever-I didn't live there, but the tenants loved it and there was lots of natural light, which I don't have. My dh hated it instantly!
  • 13 years ago
    archadeckjulie, there was a House Hunters episode this year filmed here on the Cape. The final choice was here in my town. It was then I realized that the entire segue was not accurate. I think that the prospective buyer looks at properties and there is an arrangement with the realtor to showcase the house that is finally purchased and THEN go back to the two that didn't make the cut and film those. In that way they are getting advertising for two unsold properties. There were also comments that were allowed in the filming that were misleading, but if I didn't know the area as well as I do, I would consider the property because those comments. One house was directly opposite 8 tennis courts and the would be buyer says something like oh, wow, I love to play tennis and I can simply walk across the street to the courts. The problem with that is the courts are private and if you want to spend $8,000.00 for the 14 weeks that the club is open, then, yes, you can walk across the street and hit the ball.

    New gals into the group…welcome, we have fun, learn a lot and actually ask a design question once in a blue moon.

    Bobbi, how are you feeling today?

    Feeny, what colors did you pair with the greys? Woodwork?

    bdlee, what is your project? Will you be impacted by weather? How are your winters?
  • 13 years ago
    judyg, I feel great, no pain, no more swelling! Actually I feel like a new person, thanks for asking and thanks again for your love and support.
  • 13 years ago
    I liked Sandra Rinamatto, too! I also like that guy who fixes up rental properties, can't remember his name, Scott something?
  • 13 years ago
    Do any of you like "Ask This Old House?" I like to learn about how to build things. Their "what is it" section of the program is funny.
  • 13 years ago
    Tipi-I like Ask this Old House. Just set my dvr as it's on at midnight here.
    michiganmom-you crack me up! My starter marriage was when I was a mere babe, 1 child at (gulp) 18. 2nd at 20. Got the bonus babes with the hubbie, full-time. 3 girls, 1 boy. The boy has no kids & no plans to. One girl has 1 boy, 1 has 2 boys and the oldest has 1 boy and a girl. Ages 12-3. Washington, DC to San Antonio and two are knocking on the door RIGHT NOW!!! Ttyl!
  • 13 years ago
    Bobbie P: my mouth is watering for the enchiladas.i received an email message from Houzz & it began with your recipe and then could not find the rest of the recipe. I'd surely appreciate it, when you get a chance.
  • 13 years ago
    Bobbi, I know. How do we exist without Starbucks??? I think I'll protest city council.
    feeny, I adore old houses, but you pay the price for character. Hubby has bought several lately that he's remodeling for rental property. I've been scrounging through some of them for goodies for our guest house. I have a white cast iron sink with the drains on either side that is in wonderful condition. It's attached to a metal cabinet, which I'm not thrilled with, but it's 'period' so keeping it and working it into the design. Also have a footed tub, not claw foot, that more shallow than any I've ever seen. Love that one.
  • 13 years ago
    I've been scrolling through Houzz photos today. For bedroom decor, is it still in fashion to have a "runner" or shoe strip across the mattress at the foot of the bed?
  • 13 years ago
    Yes, a throw at the end of the bed for residential homes. I have seen just a 15 to 18 inch piece of expensive fabric across the foot of the bed in some resort hotels.
  • 13 years ago
    Yes I've seen those strips of fabric at bottom of beds at hotels and elsewhere. Quilters are making these (then, you do not have to make an entire large quilt). The hotels I've seen it in have white bedding, so the strip adds a touch of coordination to drapes or whatever. My feeling is the strips are not out of date. If you have something beautiful you want to display, you should do this. BUT when I see a designer do this I always think the bedroom was not designed correctly in the first place and they had to add a throw or strip at the last minute to have the room look more coordinated...or maybe the photographer added the strip, to make the bed more photogenic. It always seems like a last minute fix. Just my opinion.
  • 13 years ago
    Just saw C. Neithart's bed. It's lovely but to me it is more of a spread / duvet folded down not something placed at the bottom of bed.
  • 13 years ago
    feeny: I love room colors taken from oriental type rugs and art.
  • 13 years ago
    j222b, here you go! Thanks for asking!

    So, for the enchilada recipe, I posted it yesterday but I know it was a jumbled mess, I will try better now. You will need:
    chicken breasts
    chicken broth
    oil
    purchased green enchilada sauce (yes, even my Mexican mother-in-law purchases hers!)
    corn tortillas
    Cojita cheese (it's a wet, crumbly mild flavored cheese)

    frying pan
    round, flat bottomed bowl (like a round cake pan)
    13 X 9 pan
    tongs

    Simmer the chicken breasts in the broth until fully cooked. Cool slightly, then remove to a plate and shred with a fork. Discard the broth.
    Heat the oil in the fry pan over medium-medium high heat.
    Pour the sauce into the flat bottomed bowl.
    One at a time, put the tortillas in the oil for about 5 seconds. You don't want them crisp, just softened.
    Using the tongs, remove the tortilla from the oil and place into the sauce.
    Using the tongs, remove the tortilla from the sauce and place flat into the 13 X 9 pan. The tortilla should be soggy at this point. If it falls apart, shorten the time in the oil.
    Using your fingers, place a strip of the shredded chicken down the center of the tortilla, then fold the tortilla in half. Just fold it in half, don't roll it!
    Repeat with remailing tortillas, placing the next enchilada half-way on top of the previous one.
    Sprinkle lightly with the Cojita chees.

    At this point they can be eaten, but in the beginning you may be slow at the assembly and want to reheat them in the oven for about 15 minutes, just make sure every part of every tortilla is covered with sauce
  • 13 years ago
    michigammemom, nice try, but feeny doesn't share pics of her home, I've already asked her. Once or twice :)
  • 13 years ago
    michigammemom, I was only giving feeny a bad time, she loves when i do that, You have my beloved red ochre???? AAGGHH!!!
  • 13 years ago
    feeny your home sounds wonderful.l We went to a beautiful home this weekend for a dinner party. Second marriage for both. The home (1910) was magnificently renovated in Craftsman style. She is from the southwest and brought with her the most stunning collection of art work and tribal kilims. This isn't a style I am familiar with (I couldn't live any farther away from Santa Fe). The home was stunning, so I have a good idea how your home looks. Thanks for taking the time.
  • 13 years ago
    Bobbi P
    Just copied off the enchilada recipe. Thanks. Will try this.
  • 13 years ago
    Great! Let me know how it turns out and if you like it, ok?
  • 13 years ago
    Bobbie P:
    OK!
  • 13 years ago
    Feeny's, michigammemom, and j22b, thank you for your responses about a folded throw at the foot of the bed. A throw does not look "right" on my bed, so I don't use one.

    Regarding tribal textiles, when I was a kid, we walked on Navajo rugs in our house. Now, they are so expensive that we hang them on the walls! I have my mother's 1930 Navajo saddle blanket (natural plant dyes). I also have larger Navajo rug made when the Navajo Nation was forced to live in Springer, NM. The railroad brought bright colors of yarn during that period. My large piece is primarily black, gray, cream and red, with small details in unexpected bright orange!
    My house is a Pueblo style hacienda. Thick, rounded walls, and a kiva fireplace.
  • 13 years ago
    tipi: Sounds wonderful. I love hearing about all of these OLLD homes: full of meaningful items and beauty. Priceless.
  • 13 years ago
    j22b and Feeny, thank you for the compliments. :)

    I can envision myself in feeny's home. Her descriptions helped me walk from room to room with her!

    Bobbi P. and groovygranny are painting, and I can envision their messes as well.

    creeser, how it going decorating your "ugly trunk?"
  • 13 years ago
    I was told years ago by a very successful rug dealer that when you are unsure of a color to paint your walls, copy the color from the fringe of the rug.
  • 13 years ago
    HI Girls -- I am sure all your homes are beautiful -- mine isn't . Don't you know Designers homes are never done. If I only had lots of money but right now I would like to throw almost everything out on the lawn and set fire to it. We have Tim Hortons as the major coffee shop here in Canada , we also have Starbucks too but Timmy's is the best . We had Krispy Kreme come here and they said they were going to give T Hortons a run for the money but it didn't work . I too have become so put off by all the phoney shows on HGTV but I still have my fav's like Sarah and Tommy and Scott on Income Property and Sandra R shows. Also like Candace , she grew up in Calgary. I was out of town today and you should have seen the chinook arch , it was all most a perfect line right across the sky over the mountains. I should have taken a picture to show you . I am sure if you googled it then maybe you will see what I am talking about . I was wondering what are your favorite Design Magazines that you enjoy. I use to get Florida magazine and Architectural Digest . But now I only get Canadian House and Home (for many years) and Style At Home - both Canadian Mags and I also get Elle Decor . I really miss Metropolitan that is not published any more. I never heard of a bed runner strip to keep the end of the bed clean from shoes ??? We all take our shoes off at the door when entering the house . I have American Relatives that think it's rude to have visitors take their shoes off when coming into the house ,- is that true. It's just what we do here and don' t think it's rude.
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    My fav.decor magazine is Arch. Digest. I also subscribe to Veranda. We have a good library system in LA and I am often checking out the old & newer designers (Hadley / Michael Smith) . Own 2 decor books: Colefax & Fowler by Chester Jones and Interior Inspirations (also Colefax & Fowler) by R. Banks-Pye. My fav. designer was / is Nancy Lancaster (Colefax-Fowler). I love English style. My fav. designer blog is Maria Killiam also Lauren Leiss is good. I'm a nurse (retired), and love to decorate. My house looks pretty good, but I am always tweaking things and making a big fat mess.

    Oh, shoes. We remove our shoes but we do not ask guests to remove shoes. Some do anyway. It's becoming quite usual to remove shoes. Saves a lot of cleaning & seems more sanitary.
  • 13 years ago
    After joining this morning and listening to all the great breakfast menus, I took some meds and I went back to bed, hoping to feel a lot better for tomorrow. Slept most of the morning! (Hubby's in Utah, so it was just me and our Schnauzer, Izzie. She never minds crawling back into her bed!)

    Bobbi P ~ We are in Lassen County (further north than Placer). About a mile and a half (as the crow flys) from the Sierras. Our winters are not too terribly bad. We get snow, off and on and temps down around 0* F. Glad a good night's rest helped you feel better and thanks for the recipe!

    michigammemom ~ I will be starting back to work for the postal service. Had worked at 7 different PO's over a 17 year time. Some only a day or two, a couple for several years. I'm going back to the first office I worked at (for 7 years), so it feels like going home. ?:-) Loved the school and the kids, but in need of more hours than the school can offer.

    tipi & judyg ~ We are going to remodel the home my folks lived in before they both passed away in 2005. We have rented it out since then and it needs lots of work. The main focus will be the kitchen / great room, for now. The plan is to some day add on a bigger living room and master bed & bath. Since it is an 'inside job' the weather won't hve much effect.

    Have a great day, tomorrow. Thanks, again, for letting me join in on the fun you are having together. Love picturing your places in a head.

    'Night all.
  • 13 years ago
    gg, The Ugly Trunk is still stuck in a corner with a cut up map and a bottle of decoupage sitting on top of it. I had to wait initially to get the decoupage to adhere the map. After that, I was busy a couple of days and then went in a store and saw some Laura Ashley shelf liner paper that appealed to me as a trunk covering. Now I'm stuck as to whether to continue with the map idea or go back for the shelf paper. In the mean time I have acquired a lovely small ... umm... end table?... night stand?? that I'm trying to decide what direction to go with it. It's got slightly peeling white paint on it now. From what I can see, it's about the 10th layer of paint on top.

    tipi, you mentioned the bed doily or whatever the proper name for it is. Hotels use those for cleanliness. Comforters and bedspreads don't get washed often and you can imagine the nasties that show up under a black light. So they use those for decor and because they are easier to keep clean. Homeowners picked up the trend with throws. My dog sleeps with us and between him and hot flashes, I keep the comforter folded at the foot of the bed. Also, the hunting lodge that we modeled our house after, had the guest rooms made up like that and I loved the rustic look. Attaching a photo of what I was trying to mimic.
  • 13 years ago
    That bed doily? We stayed one night in a hotel in Santa Cruz, the bed had one of those thingys with remnants of the last couple that "used" it. Ugh. Made the hotel lady change it in a fast hurry!
  • 13 years ago
    gg, you are absolutely right on both counts. The Laura Ashley being passe is exactly why I didn't buy the shelf paper. I'll continue on with my project as is.
    The shabby chic look is what my mother recommended for the little white chest. It has something ugly and brown stuck on the top that washing hasn't taken off. I'll shabby chic the heck out of that and then go for the peeling spots. I'll use this in our guest house when we get it built. Instead of a 3 bedroom home, we built a 2 bedroom with plans for a small guest house out back for the 3rd br option. Less to heat and cool as well as privacy for anyone visiting.
    Thanks for the focus!
  • 13 years ago
    Glad to help! But you might want to copy/paste this in today's thread..... :)