Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nruscio

What do I need?

Niki Ruscio
11 years ago
What do I need? This living room is missing something!! I want it to be chic yet practical. Is it the wall with tv and small console? Is it the colors? Do I need to wallpaper or paint the wall behind fireplace? Do I need to get rid of chaise lounge and replace with a different chair? Please help thanks!!!

Comments (63)

• colonialgp
    11 years ago
    Definitely new curtains in a bright color; your current ones do not seem to hang correctly. Try grommet style like above, they may hang more uniformly. Also, remove all items from mantle except candlesticks, especially photos (place these on the table with other photo next to horse head). Swap candles with pillars that are taller and brighter in color.

If possible, think about changing your light fixture. Ceiling fans can be butt ugly (I know I've got one) but necessary. If yours isn't necessary (i.e. you have a/c), replace it with a modern ceiling fixture. Something like this:
    Traditional Ceiling Lighting design by Furniture And Accessories Horchow

And remember, flowers can bring in temporary color. It's also a great way to decide on color choices - grab a bunch next time you're at the grocery store.
  • anniebmw7
    11 years ago
    Love the blue curtains you found, if you can get a much lighter color...? that would be awesome! love those kind because they have these rings on the top and they look marvelous when hung in bedrooms or any kind of room! just love them (i have them all over). Said i will get you pictures for examples: attaching some now...hope they help. If you can find anything to accessorize your mantle nicely ....try just couple of plane white vase (empty) Pure White Ceramic Vase Collection
    $10.00 West Elm
    [houzz=
    Jenkins Baer Associates · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    Transitional Living Room · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    ferguson · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    Guida Residence · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    Orchard Living Room · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    Living Room · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    Pleasant Valley · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    An Expanse of Space · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    Spring Mantle · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    Modern Mediterranean · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    Living Room · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    Breakers Beach House · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    Mignon Road · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    Modern Mediterranean · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    Pure White Ceramic Vase Collection · More Info
    ]
  • victorianbungalowranch
    11 years ago
    I think the turquoise curtains are perfect.

The problem with the room is that everything is almost the same color and texture. Perhaps a light-colored furry rug (like a foulaki (sp?)) by the sofa would look nice and be nice for the baby too. If you are feeling brave, a little pop of burnt orange or maybe orangy hot pink (I think I can see some in a picture on the wall) can really jazz things up. Try a few pillows or fabric remnants (or quilting squares for a low investment trial) and see what you think.
  • Niki Ruscio
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Annie thank you so much for all the pics!! I love them great ideas!!!!
  • anniebmw7
    11 years ago
    Ur welcome. If I will find anything else will let u know and post them.
    Keep us posted with ur project.
    Thx
  • greenthumb2
    11 years ago
    Hi. Be careful when mixing celadon (light blue green) with deep turquoise. It's perfectly do-able with moderation and careful eye. you have all three. :=) best to you. I like the change up you did. Love your accessories. Love the blues. And orange is a fun color to use for a pop -- if you like orange. The pinky orange would also work because you have a few items with dark purple red, right? A framed picture. Orangy pink, or orange each add warmth. Buy and practice, don't pull of price tags or rip open your drapery bags. Open carefully and make sure you can take them back if -- no likey.
  • PRO
    Southern Patina Home
    11 years ago
    I'm thinking you can't move the settee from the sofa, otherwise you'd have it against the window, is that right? An accent color on the FP wall might do something for the room. With the drapes, try for a faux silk. This will give you some shine and lighten up the walls too. We don't use live plants anymore. A tall houseplant (real) in the right corner of the room will give you color, texture and they're good for cleaning the air in the room. Above the FP, you could also add sconces, either electric or candles. Be careful of scale - they need to be large otherwise they'll get lost.
  • Lee Poehler
    11 years ago
    to many same colors...wall, curtians, carpet, and furniture all look simular. I say new wall color. The only items issue I see is the pink object on the other side of tv, the green in pillow isn't pulled out anywhere else, and red painting...while amazing doesn't match blue green palette.
  • lessismoore
    11 years ago
    You have a baby and a little one who is old enough to play with an adorable pink kitchen set? And your living room is immaculate -- you have my admiration :-) (plus, I think your "real" living room is one of the nicest so far that I've seen!).
    You have some great suggestions already.
    My immediate thoughts were: Add a chair by window with the kitchen set, maybe add pillows or accessories to bring in "red" painting (but now the red painting is gone) and some turquoisey drapes might be very nice ... but I actually like the drapes you have. I don't have a problem with the monotone palette for "big" things - it sets a nice stage for whatever colors you choose to include with it (as in this case, the turquoise bits) and opens up opportunities for easy changes; color/texture. Not sure I "love" the entertainment unit - looks a little "modern" for the more traditional feel of the rest of the room. Can you post a pix of your current entertainment wall?
    And again, props to you!
  • Niki Ruscio
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks lessismore! I'm glad you like the drapes we just put them up maybe I can add a turquoise ribbon? Here is a pic of entertainment center it's horrible!!
  • Niki Ruscio
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks lee I think your right about green in pillow and yes I'm moving the pink kitchen once I decide on a wall unit. I'm glad you like the painting I did it myself!
  • Lee Poehler
    11 years ago
    So add some red accesories and keep your art up, I love personal pieces like that. My house is full of my grandma's framed cross stitch and I frame my boys art each year
  • greenthumb2
    11 years ago
    unless you want to showcase the television screen, your entertainment center is fine. understated works well for electronics unless you need storage space for other things do not go to the expense of having something custom built. Remember what furniture stores were selling 10 years ago? Oak tv consoles with wheels. Trends and electronics are one in the same. Stay mobile and flexible with these options. your pocketbook will thank you. This is just an observation.
  • anniebmw7
    11 years ago
    I still think u can at least try and see if you like the TV above your fireplace. Then the TV console cabinet won't be taking up room. Yes I do agree with a white fluffy rug in this area, for the baby it would nice as well.
  • Niki Ruscio
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Yes I think I will do tv over fireplace, but how do you conceal the cable box? And what should I put on the wall that I'm moving the tv from?
  • Niki Ruscio
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Yes I think I will do tv over fireplace, but how do you conceal the cable box? And what should I put on the wall that I'm moving the tv from?
  • Debbie Lickteig
    11 years ago
    Lots of great ideas!
  • Lee Poehler
    11 years ago
    play with your current furniture and art....think there is a enough to go around. Or maybe make great spot for baby swing.
  • lessismoore
    11 years ago
    Just thinking about your space ... I saw this great DIY thing on colorizing a ceramic lamp. Results looked fabulous. I guess it would work on any ceramic (or other?) surface. Maybe something to keep in mind for ultimate color coordinated accessories?
    http://www.takethesidestreet.com/2011/03/aqua-lamp-makeover.html
  • Sharyn
    11 years ago
    I think a simple change would be to cluster all your family photos to one spot, overlapped by height, perhaps on your sofa table. I think it gets more attention and drama, rather than a little bit here and a little bit there. Add your other accessories to balance it out as you wish. Also, add taller items to the fireplace mantle. Is it still correct to accessorize in groups of three (odd numbers)? I seem to remember this rule from years ago but wasn't sure if it is still in effect.
  • anniebmw7
    11 years ago
    Try moving your couch (bigger back end of couch to the wall) where ur TV is now, hanging the TV above your fireplace u would probably need a tv mount and to hide the box you can put it on the mount if it will work, if not then you will need to hire a contractor to wire through attic and do a new cable jack for that location....It seems like a really hard job....but instead you can make it easier and leave your TV where it is and purchase a nice entertainment set to go with the rest of your furniture like in the example I attached before "Mignom Road" picture. And from there try to see if the coach can fit some other way, maybe without the chaise...? Hope this helps.
    GOOD LUCK!
  • anniebmw7
    11 years ago
    Can the chaise be disattached like in the "Guida Residence"? That would be a perfect location for it if u add an entertainment set for TV.
  • Niki Ruscio
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Annie no the chaise can't be disattached but I found 2 chairs on overstock that might work. Yes I really want to put the tv above fireplace!! If not I really like" mignom road" hopefully I can find an entertainment center like that
  • Alison Guerriere
    11 years ago
    I am not fond of the sectional blocking the entrance to the center of the fireplace. Bad feng shui. But it's a narrow room and your options are limited if that's your family room. You've at least created a cozy nook. I do not care for your choice of nicknacks. Too much of a hodgepodge. I would definitely scrap those turquoise pillar holders and the green & blue pillow on your chaise. The pillow is too bright and clashes. I would remove everything from your mantle and get two matching pillar holders that don't compete with the artwork. Let the fireplace artwork be the central focus or put the TV up there and get a love seat in the middle with chairs on either side. That way people can enter the room without having to go only to the left.
  • sdrooks
    11 years ago
    I like your color choices, the turquoise and browns are nice. I think I would center the sectional and sofa table in the room so you can approach from either side. I would take the personal photos from the mantel, lamp table and group together on sofa table. In addition I think the artwork over the fireplace is too small so I would either put the three matching pieces of artwork over the fireplace or i would find two matching vases the shape of your silver one either in white, silver or turquoise and place one on either side of the painting with cherry blossoms or pussy willows inside to give height. I would also like longer curtain rods so the curtain panels start at windows edge and go to mantel edge..I think the proportions would look better. I think I would like the turquoise candle holders clustered with the white horse head on the sofa table as well..I like groupings of odd numbers myself. An upholstered chair would look good caddy corner to the sofa an the side by the play kitchen and I think I would move the chaise to another room..it is a great piece but I think you need something with more height....It might work in a bedroom...good luck and post another picture when you finish...
  • anniebmw7
    11 years ago
    Not sure if you can get one on craigslist or something, and if you won't like the color you can always paint the furniture pieces...(entertainment center) keep in mind to take measures before you go shopping because if it's too wide then it might make the room unbalanced by blocking the fireplace a little. Yeah if u want to hang up tv maybe you can ask a neighbor,relative who know how to do these kind of things...but a contractor is more safe. The two chairs will be facing the TV from the window side, Where your two chaises are?
  • Niki Ruscio
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Alison what looks hodgepodge to you? The turquoise pillars&pillow?
  • greenthumb2
    11 years ago
    Hi nruscio, I get the feeling the pink kitchen should stay. And the turquoise candle sticks are reminiscent of Gumps. Maybe they aren't from Gumps, but I think they are probably something you love. High end looks come at a price. It's easy to lose cozy if we aim too high for perfect. mindful of the family and personal tastes, of course.
  • PRO
    Sally Reid
    11 years ago
    I love your room to make it come alive you need to put in reflective surfaces try some silver or some beautiful candle holders or a beautiful bunch of flowers in a lovely clear glass Vasse
  • Alison Guerriere
    11 years ago
    I would like to see the items on your mantle and your sofa table to have more uniformity. Stick with a theme and subtle color scheme in each area instead of a little of this and a little of that. Same goes with the color in your artwork around the room. Let the room have a central focus like the painting over your fireplace and don't let much in the way of the distractions because the room is not that big. Personally, I strongly dislike those Asian turquoise candle holders. Too jagged looking. I would go for something simple and clean looking in the way of candle holders. I highly recommend mercury glass candle holders on your mantle for something clean, classic, contemporary and, best of all, sparkle. http://southernaspirations.blogspot.com/2009/12/mercury-glass.html.
  • katesink
    11 years ago
    Just a small comment. The curtains are all scrunched up on the inside of the brackets. Space them evenly on either side and make them look fuller.
  • greenthumb2
    11 years ago
    could you close the curtains and try a few new shots for us since all the changes were made. For some reason I think some people aren't seeing your newest look. :=)
  • bzzz
    11 years ago
    change your wall color to something contrasting...sage or teal blue or a soft pale lavender. The ceiling fan catches my eye immediately ( bad) .. get rid of the dark unit under the tv. Antique tile ( i.e. Dutch or old style ceramic floor tile or stone trim around the fireplace to give a little texture and focus..) Rid the candles sticks. Put all same objects ( photos in frames together )..Interesting organic found objects on the mantle. Primitive pieces work great in this mix. Textiles with color tone and texture i.e. African or South American. The neutral color off sets them and let the pieces to show case themselves...
  • PRO
    raffertyrita
    11 years ago
    Unless you really need the ceiling fan, I would do a drum light in a silvery tone, also over the fireplace I would do a round sunburst mirror in same silver/gold finish (Ethan Allen has a great one) Use the artwork somewhere else. Maybe a great floral on your sofa table, move candlesticks to fireplace.
  • Jeffery Rost
    11 years ago
    the turk.candles sticks sure are a conversation piece, Ha ! keep them they are a fun element to your room, which by the way is taking shape.Remove the black candles. As someone else stated, the picture over the mantel does seem alittle small for the area. Would the other picture w/teal in it that you placed on the right side of the room loved nice with the one that is up there now? try it, a stacked/overlapping effect might look really great and a fun way to balance your room.
    NOW if the other framed art work on either side of your TV is of the "same" kind grouping them over the fireplace would also look nice.A turk throw and a few more pillows of the same color will help to balance things out. Texture is needed part of any room, find more textured items for your room.

If you are looking to reuse what you have, paint out the TV console to a fun turk color for a punch of color, the curtains are fine. I can tell the rods are as far into each corner as they can go. Do you "use" the curtains?

It's fun to move things around, can't wait to see another picture of your space.
  • jelly1
    11 years ago
    I love what you are doing.
    One thought before you move the tv above the fireplace. I thinks its too high for comfortable viewing.I know this is trendy, but I think its uncomfortable. Your neck will get tired for looking up- especially if you like to slump down and watch ( dont we all??) Before you go to the effort or moving and hiding the electrical. Try placing a lap top or ipad there. Then watch a movie and see how you feel about it. Cheers!
  • demo_girl
    11 years ago
    Instead of changing the drapes, why not try a slightly darker shade of paint colour on the fireplace wall to make it the focal point.I love how you have your drapes to the ceiling but the top and bottom, should be the same width. I think a larger picture above the mantle would balance it better as well, or possibly reframe the one you have to make it much larger.Having a TV above the fireplace, might not be very comfortable to view if its a smaller room as well as for a smaller child. Also I agree with the other comments on removing all the little items off the mantle and group them elsewhere.Some larger candlestick holders on the mantle in a silver or mercury glass would work well on the mantle especially with a larger picture over the fireplace.
  • Alison Guerriere
    11 years ago
    Beyond the quick fix I would:

1. Remove everything including the carpeting.
    2. Put in hardwoods.
    3. Add those nice bluish curtains you found.
    4. Put in an area rug that coordinates, probably an 8x10 size.
    5. Put the TV over the fireplace (I know not everyone agrees with this but it's popular because it works well, and allows for a symmetry and flow).
    6. Get a new couch, club chairs/ loveseat, and coffee table. Your ottoman would work as a coffee table if you put a big tray on it.
    7. Face the sofa towards the fireplace and put the chairs/loveseat in front and across from one another.
    Add the sofa table behind the couch. Here are some examples:
    Portfolio · More Info

Family Room · More Info

8. Put the picture from the fireplace to right of the fireplace. Put the prints together on the wall across from it. You may also want to put a big mirror on that blank wall to reflect light in the room and help it feel more expansive.
    9. If you want to have a fan in the room go a white flushmount that will disappear. Craftmade makes one.

If you don't want to put the TV over the fireplace the Mignon Road arrangement in the pic above would work for you. You'll probably get more seating if you go with the TV over the fireplace though. I think the biggest improvement will happen when you scrap the carpeting, sectional and dramatically reduce the beige.
  • Niki Ruscio
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank you to everyone I got really good ideas!!
  • Crystal
    11 years ago
    I'm not clear on the orientation of the sectional. To me it appears it faces the fireplace. Is that a matching ottoman? If it's like I am assuming...I would rotate the sofa to face the tv. Remove the matching ottoman and opt for a white piece with storage (for your princess). Hang white floating shelves over the TV. Add white curtains that will lighten the room up. Or hang the ones you have with them inside the corble and OUTside the corble. Rt now they are inside which makes them look bunched up at the top instead of hanging straight from top to bottom. Move the turquoise print to the left of the tv as there is nothing of that color on that side. Find a square area rug that is not too light or dark. The mantle could be extended if you wanted by simply painting the wall above white. You can add a simple 4 inch trim to the ceiling on either side. Play up the white on the beige areas and the turquoise on white areas. Move the chaise in the corner near the pink oven. All the best!
  • Hind Isaa
    11 years ago
    I think u most color the wall like light blue and yellow it well be nice
  • Niki Ruscio
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank you mrsemery03 I love your ideas!
  • Niki Ruscio
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    What do you think about this ? I could add hardware?
  • A. Watson
    11 years ago
    Just skimmed the comments above and want to add a few - I agree about the nicknacks. Too many, the arrangements of them don't do anything for the room, and too much in the same scale. On putting the TV over the fireplace, I vote NO! unless you can live with being uncomfortable all of your TV watching time just so the room "looks good". Finally, one thing that immediately struck me when I saw the first picture is that there is no "life" in the room (save a sweet baby of course). It needs the greenery of a plant or two.
  • David Krupa
    11 years ago
    Okay i think your on the right track with the entertaiment unit. I would suggest add 2 book cases on either side of the Tv stand not glass open book cases with some flair. It seems your feeding off the fire place thats okay i would go a dark wood to match your tv stand. once you do this you create a focal point on that wall. The pitcures you take down put both of them over the fire place spaced between the curtains okay that wall is done for now.Remmber your taste is modern with tradional you have room to play. The only thing i ask consider painting the white around the fire place play off the window drapes or the bookcases that tones the room down and calms it out for now. Add some cushins orange green gold silver and a throw for the couch. and Lastly get some brass accents for the front of the fireplace. Okay you have muted the room made it cozy , caim for mom and baby without breaking the bank.PS no Black bookcases.
  • lessismoore
    11 years ago
    Hi Nrusico - "I" think the entertainment units you've shown are too "modern" and you might get a better, more pulled together look with one where the millwork is more like your fireplace's, i.e.: more like the one shown in the Mignon Road pix. But, if you were looking to move in a more modern direction ... well, that's another post :-) and then, we'd want to redo the fireplace! Yikes.
  • lessismoore
    11 years ago
    Hi Nrusico - "I" think the entertainment units you've shown are too "modern" and you might get a better, more pulled together look with one where the millwork is more like your fireplace's, i.e.: more like the one shown in the Mignon Road pix. But, if you were looking to move in a more modern direction ... well, that's another post :-) and then, we'd want to redo the fireplace! Yikes.
  • anniebmw7
    11 years ago
    Love the entertainment unit, just not so much the turquoise color drawers. Just keep them simply white to match with white fluffy rug(that's if u want to add one) and lighter color drapes. If you don't have an option with the color, just leave it and add only some turquise color throw pillows for your sectional and a little bit of that same turquoise like the drawers in your rug as well...remove the candle holders and replace with other ones...(more on a very light side colors or even glass/mirror candle holders). Hope this helps.
  • greenthumb2
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Hello nruscio, Yes, your entertainment center idea would work.

If I had photoshop and a design program, I would do some mockups.

Does Home Depot or Lowe's offer this service to customers? They used to have program available when designing kitchens. Maybe they have one that includes other rooms....

Have you made a list yet of the yes, no, maybe's? If not, start one and eliminate the ideas you don't like for whatever the reason. I went on houzz and did a search parameter fireplace and curtains. did help me visualize your room better. I think two small upholstered ottomans would help balance your fireplace wall. But, browse the same area on the site. There are some rooms that have similar color schemes (warms with hints of white, celedon and wood) with leather accents in the way of chairs or ottomans.

Your room will come together. Plan it. :=) PS. Last, but definitely not least; you need super lighting in this room. Something practical would be a highlight set for the fireplace. If you like the fan, but not the fixture, consider changing to another fixture. I think if you brought in better lighting, you might not have to do much else, or at the very least, you could see what really needs to go.
  • Billy Marberry
    7 years ago
    You need me to help you
Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!