Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nfriday_gw

Anybody have Mohawk everstrand carpet?

nfriday
15 years ago

I am looking for people who have Mohawk everstrand or other recycled carpeting installed in their house. I am particularly interested in how durable the carpet is. I was told by a retailer that none of the carpeting made out of recycled pop bottles is very durable. I am looking for green carpeting with a 20+ year wear guarantee. Does such thing exist? Thanks, Nancy

Comments (12)

• boxers
    15 years ago

I was a rep for Mohawk for many yrs. 1st let me clarify your question which is quite common. A wear guarantee is much much different than an appearance retention warantee. In the history of the cpt industry I doubt one yd of cpt has ever been given due to 'wear'. The guarantee says its due to abrasive loss of face yarn. Your cpt can be matted into unrecognizable fuzz but I can promise you that it didn't lose 10% of its face weight. I can tell you that retailers I know have sold 1000's of yard of Mohawk PET products with no call backs. The smartstrand is a very durable carpet. You need to look at construction vs warantee. Frieze products perform very well. There is no simple answer to your question but overall the new yarns when in a good construction will perform very well. You need to look at twist level and other factors to determine the best product for your use. Hope this helps.

• richardyc
    15 years ago

no wonder you are not a rep anymore, he asked about EVERstand, not SMARTstrand, they are totally different.

• sueb__07
    15 years ago

richardnyc...Tis the season to be jolly...not rude.

• heartlandjen
    15 years ago

Boxers did respond regarding everstrand when he referenced the PET carpet. He seems to add to the information when he mentions smartstrand. It's easy for any of us to get it confused reading these many informative posts. Happy New Year to all.

• jbranch
    15 years ago

Everstrand carpet is no different from carpet made from any other fiber type in that if it is made well, it will give good performance. Stay away from low priced, builder grade carpets, no matter what yarn type it is and get a Everstrand product that is dense and has a good twist.

I would look at products like Buried Treasure, Pirate's Cove, Paint Box, Distinctive Decor and Distinctive Delight. Distinctive Delight is pretty thick though. As Boxers said, a 20 year wear warranty does not address appearance retention.

• nfriday
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi- jbranch I was wondering why none of the everstrand products you mention are on Mohawk's website? I was just curious.

• boxers
    15 years ago

probably because most retailers private label these days, so cpt to cpt comparisons are hard to make.

• PRO
    Custom Carpet Care
    8 years ago

With over 37 years cleaning carpets professionaly, I have found that the only fiber the stands the test of time well is Nylon. Polyester and all of the other "Smart Fibers" do not wear well at all. It's very uncommon to find a 10 year old non nylon carpet that looks decent after cleaning. It's very common to find a 30 year old Nylon that looks like new after cleaning. .. Nylon is about 25% more expensive but it's well worth it. The major advantage to non nylon is that it's more difficult to permanently affect the color due to bleaches or dyes. Personally I'd pay 200% more to have Nylon.

• elpaso1
    8 years ago

I love smartstrand carpet. Super easy to clean, even pet accidents, and still looked new 3 yes later. No matting even on stairs. Had it in 3 different homes. Plus one of my clients homes...in white...with 3 toddlers.

• HU-172427065
    3 years ago

We have had Mohawk carpet made from recycled materials for 20 years and I can assure you it still looks good. Easy to clean, responds well to vacuuming. We remember a promotional video where the cage of a Rhino was carpeted in Mohawk recycled carpet (forgot brand name it was so long ago). But it was hosed down and vacuumed after it had been there for three months and it looked great.

• Joyce Ochsner
    2 years ago

I had Everstrand by Mohawk installed one year ago. This carpet is awful. It shows a path going into several rooms and also to Master bedroom closet. One day after vacuumong and with 2 people walking across it it looks like a herd of elephants walked across the room. I replaced it with 20 year old carpet and I would give anything to get that nylon carpet back. I dont know how Mohawk can continue to sell this product. Now I am trying to talk my husband into letting me replace this faulty carpet.