Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ej77

Quotes on replacing hvac

ej77
10 years ago

Our air conditioning stopped worked (only blowing warm air) and we have opted to have the whole system replaced. It's 16 years old, and leaking badly to the point where there was no refrigerant left when the technician came out the other day. We've only lived in the house 2 years, but each season, even when it is working, it's never really kept the house comfortable. We are planning to replace it with a heat pump and eliminate the hydro heat system that's in place as well since the water heater installed isn't sized correctly for the hydro heat. My main question is are these "fair" prices for the estimates we were given. We live in a 1400 sq ft townhouse in the Hampton Roads area of Virginia.

Thanks in advance for any help. It's very much appreciated.

SYSTEM PROPOSAL & AGREEMENT
Product Description Warranty*
Air Handler Gold XM -TAM4
Heat Pump Gold SI -4A6H3 Registered Limited Warranty *Compressor
- 10 years *Coil - 10 years *Parts - 10
years
Platinum Controls Thermostat Registered Limited Warranty *Parts - 5
years
Included in price. Will remove existing system and install new equipment
listed in this proposal.We will install new pad for outdoor unit and install
new drain pan for indoor unit (if required).We will install float switch on
condensate line. We will hook up to existng duct work and make airtight
plenum transitions. We will install new electrical disconnect for outdoor unit.
We will check duct work and make minor repairs. Run new electrical to indoor unit.
Warranties
One year labor warranty
One Year Service Agreement
System Investment: $6,290.00
* The warranty terms displayed in this column are the registered limited warranty terms and are listed in this order:
Compressor / Coil / Parts / Heat Exchanger. A dash (-) indicates that the warranty component is not applicable to the
product.
Efficiency: SEER 13, EER 11, HSPF 8

-------------------------------------------------------------------

SYSTEM PROPOSAL & AGREEMENT
Product Description Warranty*
Air Handler Platinum XV -TAM7
Heat Pump Gold XI -4A6H5e Registered Limited Warranty *Compressor
- 10 years *Coil - 10 years *Parts - 10
years
Platinum Controls Thermostat Registered Limited Warranty *Parts - 5
years
Run new electrical to indoor unit.
Warranties
Two year labor warranty
One Year Service Agreement
Base Price $8,010.00
American Standard 15 seer rebate ($500.00)
System Investment: $7,510.00
* The warranty terms displayed in this column are the registered limited warranty terms and are listed in this order:
Compressor / Coil / Parts / Heat Exchanger. A dash (-) indicates that the warranty component is not applicable to the
product.
Monthly Payment: $131.43 for 5.9% APR with 1.75% Min Monthly Payments
Efficiency: SEER 15, EER 12.5, HSPF 9

Ten year warranty on compressor and parts. Two year warranty on labor.
Dealer Warranty
Will provide a one year service agreement.
Details
Will remove existing 2 ton split system and install new 2 ton heat pump. Existing system has a water coil we will
go back with a heat pump. Need to pull new 60 amp circuit and tstat wire. We will hook up to existing duct work in attic.
American Standard 15 seer rebate

Comments (3)

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

EJ

Does your TH share any common walls, floors, with other units? Single floor or two story?

Both quotes are for two ton systems? I will assume two ton is correct size.
    How did existing system perform when working especially in AC cooling during summer mths?

I find the pricing on the high side. On first quote, you would want the GAM5A0B30 high eff air handler, not the Gam4. This is the matching system that I would want. See below.

4903053 Active Systems HERITAGE 13 AMERICAN STANDARD, INC. 4A6H3024C1 GAM5A0B30M21 24800 12.00 14.00 22400 8.50 13500 1 HRCU-A-CB 214 456

How do you filter your return air? How many returns do you have?

Any hot/cold spots in home?

I would want HW Mdl #8321 thermostat same as AS 803 but less expensive.

What size heat strip to be provided? I would think about a 7.5 KW.

AmStd is good equipment but you need another quote from a different dealer. I just don't like the pricing at all. I see nothing special about the scope of work from the info provided.

IMO

• ej77
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for the reply.

Yes, our townhouse is in the middle and is 2 stories.

The quotes are for 2 ton systems. The AC never really cooled very well and usually needed some sort of repair at the start of each season (we've lived here 2 years).

We change the filter at the return (there is only one upstairs in the hallway). The upstairs is always warmer in the summer, but I figure that's normal. One bedroom upstairs in the front of the house, though, did seem to get much
    colder with the AC on and much warmer when the heat was on than any other room in the house. The guy who came out to give the estimate said since we were switching from hydro heat we'd need new electrical too which would
    cost about $400.

I felt from what I've read it's a little on the high side too, but didn't really know. Thanks again.

• tigerdunes
    10 years ago

You need another return downstairs.

Pay attention to my advice.

IMO