Software
Houzz Logo Print
vickij_gw

New or Favorite Things

14 years ago

I am always interested in what the people on this forum really like. I'm beginning my shopping gift list for Christmas and would love to recap what some of our favorite things are.

Comments (64)

  • 14 years ago

    Pesky,
    I like Fage brand Greek Yogurt. I buy the plain, fat free and add my own fruit or honey or vanilla to flavor it. In a 6 oz container, there are 18 grams of protein for only 100 calories.

    Here is a link that might be useful: fage yogurt

  • 14 years ago

    oaklayok, I am surprised by how many people I've met who also use the clutch wallet! I love how it keeps me organized but isn't fussy. I feel like I can find exactly what I need without dealing with lots of snaps, flaps, and zippers. When I see people searching through their wallets it always reminds me of old ladies pulling coins out from their change purse one at a time. Plus, I love how lightweight it is.

    flyleft, yes, you can sharpen tweezers. I know with Rubis, you can send them in to the US distributor, they will sharpen them and send them back for $3 shipping.

    I've been told Rubis makes surgical tools, so these tweezers are very precise. They are pricey, but I am confidant they will never need replacing. I was so tired of spending money on tweezers that don't do the job (tweezerman included) I figured it was actually economical to buy the best. I found the best prices on Amazon.

    Also... if you get them, be sure to keep and use the cap! They will protect the tweezers. Here is what I I have...

    Nicole

    Here is a link that might be useful: Slant classic tweezer

  • 14 years ago

    Lock Laces - they replace the tie laces in your shoes.

    And of course, SmartWool socks.

    Here is a link that might be useful: Lock laces

  • 14 years ago

    Flyleft - I believe Tweezerman tweezers come with lifetime free sharpening. That means you would have to pay to have them sent to the company, but it's still cheaper than buying new ones.

  • 14 years ago

    I have Tweezerman tweezers and I never considered the fact that they may need to be sharpened. Are you saying that if they are sharpened they would grasp tighter?

  • 14 years ago

    graywings, I need those for my DS! One of my pet peeves is to see kids with their shoes untied. I will have to see if they pass the "coolness" test though!

  • 14 years ago

    Pesky, Trader Joe's has zero fat Greek Yogurt that tastes decadent and evil. And it doesn't have any weird ingredients, which I like.

  • 14 years ago

    Pesky, my sister also likes the TJ greek yogurt. I haven't tried it because I don't have a convenient TJ. Try both to see which one you prefer.

  • 14 years ago

    I'm not sure I'd bother having your Tweezerman's sharpened. I've been buying that brand for many, many years. We always kept one in the kitchen and one in each bathroom, one in our most used suitcases so there'd be 5 or six or more floating around the house at any given time. What I USED to do is grab 3, and send them in for sharpening, then send the others in when those came back. After one sharpening, they'd come back in good shape but wouldn't hold their edge long. I tried a second sharpening on a couple and that was worthless. So I bought new ones and eventually sent them in for sharpening, too and have to add that they seemed to need it far sooner than the ones I'd bought in years prior. Either the company has gotten lax in the resharpening or the quality of the product to begin with has declined - personally I think it's both. Tweezerman is not what it used to be. I'm going to try the Rubis.

  • 14 years ago

    Love winter possum/merino wool knitwear from New Zealand. I usually buy the large socks (I wear a size 6) because then I can wash them in the washer with Woolite and the slight shrinkage is fine. I have mittens, hats, sweaters, and socks. Warmer than anything I have ever tried and incredibly soft (not possum as in North American possum). They last forever. I still have pairs of socks I bought when we were there eight years ago and they are like new despite being worn constantly from October through March.

    Here is a link that might be useful: New Zealand wool

  • 14 years ago

    Keen shoes. The only problem with them is I can't buy other shoes (like the ones I need for work) while I'm wearing Keens because other shoes feel so uncomfortable!

  • 14 years ago

    I just discovered the Hip Hugger Belt, which is a belt that clips onto the side belt loops then only goes through the back loop. It keeps the front of your pants nice and smooth.

    I also love the Nalgene On The Go water bottle. It's flip top makes it easy to drink out of, and has a wide opening for easy cleaning and adding ice cubes.

    And even though it has terrible reviews on Amazon, I can't style my hair without my straightening hairbrush,which I call my magic brush.

  • 14 years ago

    That belt is very interesting. I always have issues with adding a bulky buckle to my already-protruding belly!

  • 14 years ago

    Anne Klein cashmere socks

    Henri Bendel Lemon-Verbena candles or the Thymes Lavender or Eucalyptus.

    Dark chocolate(Bliss/red wrapper)Dove candy....and a banana for dipping. YUM!

    Naked Juice/Green Machine
    Bolthouse Farms/Strawberry-Banana flavor smoothie

    100% cotton flannel p j's

    My new Shark for hard surfaces~~doing the wood has become a piece of cake.

    I'm definitely getting the Rubis Tweezers! ;o)

  • 14 years ago

    Re bulging belt buckle.... I've gotten into the habit of starting to insert my belt one loop to the left (skip the first loop), so it ends up fastening closer to my hip. Then it's flat across the front. For whatever reason, the buckle seems much less noticeable there, and it's not visible so long as you're wearing a longer shirt. I've never had anyone notice (no one has ever mentioned it anyway....). :)

  • 14 years ago

    What a fun thread. I only had one thing on my list when it started. Now I know there are too many and see so much in common.

    Me too on NZ wool and down. Bought both on a trip 10 years ago, had them shipped home. My down blanket feel new even with the years of wear. Also the wool mattress cover...comfy stuff.

    Hadn't realized I was using the same tweezers, should buy a couple more. There has been a couple of times these were lost on trips....but did find them, thankfully.

    A clutch bag. This wasn't thought of until mentioned. I cannot give up my son's Army "clutch" which they hang around their neck. It is 5 X 6 and holds every thing. Whoever designed it sure got it right. If I could find one girly, would be nice. Army green is a tad casual, cannot give this up for a purse now.

    Keep them coming. My first favorite is a new electric pressure cooker. Times have changed. Always used one, but the electric cooks in a quarter of the time and I'm loving the ease.

  • 14 years ago

    I just used a Groupon to make a FlattenMe book for dear
    grandson. Hope it's as cool as it looks!

  • 14 years ago

    My fleece jacket from LL Bean. It is called the Wind Challenger Jacket. Love it for walking the dogs. Does a great job of blocking the wind.

    Just discovered a Balsamic Vinegar from Williams Sanoma called Oliver's. It says it's aged 25 years and I don't know what that means exactly. This is the best stuff ever. I could drink it right out of the bottle! It is pricey though at $28 a bottle.
    My Chi Smart titanium ceramic digital hairstyling iron I got at QVC.. Also my Rusk w8 less hair dryer. My hair has never looked better since I started using these..

  • 14 years ago

    If you are a Costco member and want good, inexpensive wool socks, the Kirkland OutDoor Trail Socks are nice. The medium size fits women's shoe size 5-9. They are 71 percent merino wool, cost about $11 for four pairs, and are made in the USA.

  • 14 years ago

    Costco also has some Marino wool socks for everyday. They are very similar to Smartwool socks at half the price. They are K Bell socks and come in a 2 pack.

  • 14 years ago

    Just got the Clarisonic MIA last week and boy my 58 year old face is looking good!!!!!

  • 14 years ago

    Yvette123-Isn't the Mia the best? Don't forget to register yours as it gives you a $25.00 credit for future online ordering. I love the Mia so much that I want to try the Opal. Do you have the Opal also?

  • 14 years ago

    vickij: Nope, I don't have the Opal. But, I do love the MIA...my makeup now looks perfect since my face is so smooth.

  • 14 years ago

    I am thinking of ordering the Mia based on the recommendations on this thread. I do have a question if you don't mind..... I try to use organic items on my skin. Can you use any cleanser? Just water?

  • 14 years ago

    This was recommended to me by a friend, and I bought some and used it yesterday. It really worked!

    You can use any cleanser with the Clarisonic. I use Cetaphil with mine.

    Here is a link that might be useful: Kneipp Bath Salts for Sore Muscles and Joints

  • 14 years ago

    I'm not sure which Clarisonic I have, but, I can vouch that I can definately tell a difference when I don't use it, and when I do. I also use it with Cetaphil. I go through another cycle for my neck too.

  • 14 years ago

    I don't want to mislead anyone. The MIA is not magic and it will not make your skin into something that could not otherwise be. It will make your skin look its best. I find that foaming cleansers work best for me. Now I'm going to try it on my neck. It will be one more reason to like it.

  • 14 years ago

    Vicki, which brushes do you use? And do you replace them every 90 days?

  • 14 years ago

    I also love: Vichy Eau Thermal spray and the Vichy cleanser: Physiological cleansing gel. I call the spray my "miracle" water!

  • 14 years ago

    Pesky and Yvette -- do you (or Pesky-- your daughters) use your own cleansers or the stuff that Clarisonic sells?

    (and ditto to Natal's question.)

  • 14 years ago

    I use the delicate brush heads and change them about every 4 months.

  • 14 years ago

    I use the Vichy cleanser named above. It is gentle and I love how my face feels after using it.

  • 14 years ago

    I ran out of Cetaphil, so have been using some Keihl's (sp?) Facial Cleanser the last couple of nights.

    yvette, I looked up the Vichy products, and they look tempting. Might have to try them! What is the Thermale spray like?

  • 14 years ago

    It just feels good.

  • 14 years ago

    I was waiting to buy the clarisonic mia because I had a facial scheduled for today and I wanted to talk to the woman that I go to. I go a couple of times a year and she always helps me. Well guess what! She had one there (she didnt last time I went) So I got to try it out. I was afraid she might say it was no good for my skin since it is sensitive and red all the time, but it seemed OK. Yay! my face is smooth. It hasn't been in what seems like a loooong time.

  • 14 years ago

    Flavored Olive Oils and Balsamic Vinegars from a small Michigan business - Fustini's
    I finally went into their lovely shop in my town and, at first, thought it would be weird to sample the oils and vinegars but I was hooked!
    My favorites are Sicilian Lemon white balsamic and Provencal Herbes olive oil.
    If you're ever in our beautiful state of Michigan, give them a visit - their stores are really nice.
    You can also shop online.

    Here is a link that might be useful: Fustini's Oils and Vinegars

  • 14 years ago

    I am definitely going to check out the link on oils and vinegars! I have so many recipes for salad dressings that call for balsamic vinegar and I have always found the taste too strong for me. Then I discovered white balsamic vinegars and love them! I am always looking for new ways to improve. Thanks.

  • 14 years ago

    That's awesome, vickij!
    I never use salad dressing now - I also have juniper berry vinegar and tuscan herb oil and love those too.

    Another thing that I'm in love with - not food - that I don't own yet (but hope that Santa will indulge me) is/are - Spartina 449 Purses.

    I love these purses - there's a neat garden/market/gift shop kind of place about an hour away from us that sells all of the patterns.
    Another neat place to visit if you make it to our lovely state (Michigan) - Sawyer Garden Center - Sawyer Michigan

    Anyway, the fabric is a heavy duty linen and the colors are wonderful.
    No offense to those that love Vera Bradley but Spartina is a bit more sophisticated but still fun and colorful.

    Here is a link that might be useful: Spartina 449 Colorful Handbags and Accessories

  • 14 years ago

    JoanieB - Thanks for sharing those purses...I love them! I've already found a store close by so I can check them out in person.

    J

  • 14 years ago

    FYI: the Clarisonic Mia2 is one of Today's (Friday's) Special Values over at QVC (and it comes with a small bottle of Philosophy's Purity wash).
    I might just bite on this one! Gotta do a little more research first, tho...

  • 14 years ago

    Just before reading this, I received a Lands End fleece pullover that I'd ordered - I agree, it's awesome. It's the first fleece top I've owned that isn't bulky and full of static. I love the material - it feels almost like flannel.

    In fact, they're on sale ($15 regular/$20 plus) + 30% off and free shipping today. I just ordered four more!

    Here is a link that might be useful: Lands End

  • 14 years ago

    And Joanie B - those purses are gorgeous.

    Natal - thanks for the link. I wasn't familiar with that site and just ordered some Frasier Fir items.

  • 14 years ago

    goldgirl, thanks for the feedback. I just went to Land's End and ordered 8 pullovers for Xmas gifts (and a couple for me, too). With the sale and the discount, I paid under $100!

    Nicole

  • 14 years ago

    I'm really tempted to purchase a Mia and looked at the deal on QVC that pammyfay mentioned. They are selling the Mia2. Can anyone tell me how the the Mia compares to the Mia2? Thanks.

  • 14 years ago

    I see others have been doing the Black Friday Online like me! Boy, have I saved tons of money today. Amazon has the best prices so far when I comparison shop. Plus free shipping.

    Okay, here's a newish product for me. The Ped Egg for dry and cracked heels. I have a pumice stone I usually use in the shower, but when I'm pooped I don't do it, which is a lot of the time.

    So I get out the Egg and it shaves off any dry skin and the feetsies are back to total softness!

  • 14 years ago

    I have a real problem with my feet, but if I'm faithful about using the Ped Egg a couple times a week it helps immensely. I know there are going to be times that drag on for weeks/months when nothing helps, but that egg is a blessing when things aren't too bad.

  • 14 years ago

    Goldgirl - thanks so much for the tip about the wonderful Lands End discounts going on. I ordered a set of sheets that I have been eyeing for months.

  • 14 years ago

    caroleoh - Would you believe I've been thinking about asking if anyone has bought fleece from Land's End? I've never bought anything from them, but I keep getting their catalogs. I was looking through one the other day and saw their comment about their fleece being so popular and it got me to wondering if it's really any different than any other. I think I may order one now just to see. What is it that's different?

  • 14 years ago

    Never mind on my Land's End fleece question. I should have read all the posts first. I'm definitely going to order one for $15 and free shipping.