Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ebrathedebra

HELP! Raw Dog Bone on Carpet!!

ebrathedebra
16 years ago

I bought some raw beef bones (in freezer case at pet feed store) and fed to my dog in her crate. My husband let her out (forgetting to pick up the bone) and before I knew it - she had dragged her wet and gooey bone around on my carpet.

There are no stains that I can see but what I am REALLY concerned about is the harmful bacteria deposited on my carpet. How can I go about disinfecting a rug short of throwing bleach on it (which will ruin it, of course)? I called the store where I bought the bones from and they suggested Nature's Miracle - which I have - but will that truly disinfect?

Any suggestions? I have 2 children 4 & 7 and I am flipping out!

Thanks

Comments (20)

• gw:annä
    16 years ago

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it if you don't see obvious areas where the bone was. since there are probably worse germs tracked in on your shoes on a daily basis.

But, what you can do is take a pot of warm water, add some desinfecting hand soap and use the mixture on a small towel to wipe the area of the carpet that you're concerned about.

Otherwise, you'd probably have to have the carpet cleaned.

• joepyeweed
    16 years ago

If you are really concerned, I would get the carpet shampooed. Soap and water kills bacteria as effective as anything else. There are sprays like lysol or fresh scent that are disinfecting.

But really, I'd rather have dog slobbery bone juice on my carpet than a chemical based product like lysol.

• Meghane
    16 years ago

Unless your children are in the habit of eating carpet (I don't have kids, but I've heard some do really weird things), I wouldn't worry about a thing. Bacteria that live in or on meat/bones need at least a little moisture to survive. I'm sure your carpet is dry, and since you can't even find any evidence of the doggy meal in the carpet, any scant traces of bacteria have already died. Unless you have severely immunocompromised children who also eat carpet that happens to be a nice wet breeding ground for germs, you have nothing to worry about.

BTW, why would your feed your dog something with "harmful bacteria" in it?

• cynthia_gw
    16 years ago

There is NOTHING to worry about. Nothing. Much worse things on their toes from taking a walk :)

• GammyT
    16 years ago

My kids are 23 and 28, germs didn't kill them.

I wonder, what breed is your dog and why do you feel the need to give her raw beef bones in her crate? Folks who are training fighting dogs do that, not people who want a family dog.

• sylviatexas1
    16 years ago

Would the breed of dog make a difference in bacteria in the rug?

Why the accusatory tone?

Maybe they wanted to keep her messy food off the carpet!

• dobesrule
    16 years ago

Gammyt, Many dogs are fed raw meat and bones. My German Shepherd is fed a raw meal every day. According to some it's a much more natural way of feeding and there are many family dogs that are fed raw. The dog fighters much like they are misinformed about many aspects of dogs are also misinformed about raw meat making a dog more aggressive. Their ill treatment of the dogs is what makes them aggressive, not their diet.

Lisa

• Meghane
    16 years ago

Raw meat and bones are good for dogs. And I too would not want my dogs dragging that kind of thing around the house. But it isn't dangerous.

• clg7067
    16 years ago

I taught my dogs to eat on their towels. Then I pop them into the washer. I wouldn't worry about the germs either.

• timbulb
    16 years ago

I was told you should boil those bones first.

• Meghane
    16 years ago

You cannot give a dog cooked bones because they splinter when chewed, then shred the GI tract as they go down. Bones should only be fed raw to prevent having major life-threatening complications such as tearing the GI tract.

• cynthia_gw
    16 years ago

"I wonder, what breed is your dog and why do you feel the need to give her raw beef bones in her crate? Folks who are training fighting dogs do that, not people who want a family dog."

Interesting assumption. I always thought that dogs who were being trained to fight were probably fed a type of poor quality kibble like Pedigree or Iams, since those dogs are being treated as disposable.

Pet owners who care about their dog's health feed high quality kibble or a balanced raw diet.

• labmomma
    16 years ago

It seems things never change here on pet forum. Since when do we judge people for feeding Iams or Pedigree as being petowners who "were probably fed a type of poor quality kibble like Pedigree or Iams, since those dogs are being treated as disposable". The total ignorance of many posters on this particular forum astounds me. I think I've been better off staying away. Ughhhh.

• dobesrule
    16 years ago

Pedigree or Iams is the good stuff compared to what those dogs are probably feed and any raw meat they get would be the cheapest stuff. Not anything that a good raw diet would consist of

Lisa

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    16 years ago

Not everyone is as informed as you are Cynthia. Often it's ignorance not purposeful abuse. I like to give them the benefit of the doubt although I will admit, it can be difficult. I believe all wrath and judgment is for those with chained up dogs outside while they sit cozy inside.

• lisa11310
    16 years ago

Ok guys.....I really have no clue here. My Dog gets a bowl of Purina dry and a can of Pedrigree. Am I doing something wrong? She gets her Xango every day too. She is a loved member of our family, not one of those poor things left outside all of the time (really irks me)She is never out unless I am right here and I have the door cracked even in the winter so I can hear if she even sneezes. I just thought the OP was a little anol about cleanliness......I am by no means a pig or dirty....but a dog bone on the floor causing so much concern baffles me. I am sure the kids are dirtier than the dog bone. Everybody is entitled to their own standards, but this seems a little overboard.

• laurabs
    16 years ago

For the dog bone on the carpet you could use Febreze antibacterial formula.

My dogs have dragged all sorts of animals from the backyard, so I wouldn't worry too much about the bone on the carpet beyond spraying or spot cleaning the carpet. Baking soda is a good cleaner.

• Gina_W
    16 years ago

My raw-fed dachsie knows he must stay on his eating mat with his bones. But once in a while he will still try to quietly sneak a bone into the dining room to eat with us. LOL. I catch him and give him the stink eye, then he carries it back to his mat.

FYI, on the cooking forum, a couple of folks have developed some great pressure cooker recipes for bulk homemade dog food - they cook the bones in there until they are soft enough to break apart with a spoon.

• HU-141411904
    3 years ago

I so wish someone could tell me how to get rid of the white raw hide bone stains on my green carpet.