Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
toomuchglass

Dogs licking their wounds - healing ???

toomuchglass
17 years ago

Yep - another post about Poppy - my puppy that got hit by a car. Her stiches are out in her back leg/paw -- but she has this HUGE spot where the skin was torn off - it's just raw flesh - it couldn't be stitched up . The vet said to put a baby sock over it . I did that -- but the wound was oozing and trying to form a scab and the sock would stick to it.I took the sock off to let the air get at it -- and she keeps licking it. I freaked out ... and DH said to "leave her alone - dogs have licked their own wounds for centuries and they survived" . I hate to see it - but looking at the skin closely --- it does seem to be healing even with her licking it.Is it true that dog's mouths have

"antibiotics" ? -- or is it an old wives tale ?

Comments (14)

• labmomma
    17 years ago

I think the dog mouth being antiseptic is a old wive's tale.

That said, is the would in a place where you could bandage it say part of the day? Also, how large is the wound? What part of the body are you bandaging and is it okay with your vet to bandage. Sometimes they tell you that they want it open??

I have done this and I have all the supplies. Is your email on your member page? I could send you some supplies. I have a webbed netting that actually holds bandaging in place so you don't have to use adhesive. I usually find that they chew the bandaging off, but if its in a spot where you think your dog can't get to it, and you're interested in good bandaging, I would be willing to share the supplies I have.

You will need some neosporin or non-brand name antiobiotic cream to put on the wound before you use the bandaging material which is called mepitel it is a non-adhering silicone bandage that allows the air to get to the wound in a way (kind of hard to explain). It works well if the dog doesn't tear the bandaging apart. Post email if you want me to send it to you to try.

Best of luck. I know it's a pain to deal with a wounded pet:-(

• dirthappy
    17 years ago

While a dog licking your face may seem like an unsanitary or perverted habit it really is neither. You have understand that dog saliva is full of a antibiotics which help them to stay clean and also protect them from the bacteria etc
    I found that on another website. I don't know how true it is but I would guess the licking is also soothing. Hope Poppy gets better soon.

• webkat5
    17 years ago

Yup...not an old wives tale...it is full of antibiotics. Not enough to "save the world" if harvested but dog saliva can kill both E. coli and Streptococcus canis bacteria.

I wouldn't worry about the licking...the dog knows (can smell) if it needs "treatment".

• webkat5
    17 years ago

Ask you vet before applying a topical antiobiotic (Neosporin or other) to the wound....he may already have the dog on a systemic antibiotic...

If the dog was given penicillin, you can get some liquid penicillin to spread directly on the wound (if you don't think the dog's licking is working fast enough).

• share_oh
    17 years ago

Glad to hear Poppy is healing. :)

Did you ask the vet if its ok if she licks the wound? If not, why not put an Elizabethan (cone) collar on her to keep her from reaching the area? She'll hate it, but it will do the trick.

Sher

• mazer415
    17 years ago

Keep an eye on it, if it is healing, let her alone, if it is getting worse, well go get the collar from the vet

• toomuchglass
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the offer of supplies - that was so very nice of you !!! She's at the point now that the vet said leave it alone - don't put anything on it - let it heal with the air. It's about a 2" round spot on the top of her back paw that is just raw with no skin. ( ugly looking ) She's on antibiotics so hopefully it won't get infected. She does lick it ....but it really doesn't look any worse. Maybe something in the saliva does heal - I wasn't sure if this was true or not. I guess I'll just keep an eye on it and let nature take it's course. Thanks everyone !

• labmomma
    17 years ago

Glad to hear she's doing better. I thought maybe the wound site was bigger.

Great to hear about the dog saliva since I've got it on me constantly.

Unfortunately, my old gal's saliva hasn't served her very well. She has a granuloma on her left front paw that has been open since 2001 when my first lab passed. She was very distraught watching him suffer and eventually pass. She will lick it open at times of stress, i.e.; workers at the house, seeing suitcases being packed, anything that makes her the least bit nervous or uncomfortable, she licks it open. My vet usually gives me amoxicillan to head off any infection and it does heal up a bit, doesn't get infected but has never totally healed.

I have tried bandaging her to no avail. She chews the bandaging off. I have also tried bitter apple, and other products to dissuade her from licking it. Nothing works.

Keep us posted, tho I am sure she will heal nicely.

• webkat5
    17 years ago

Yea...obsessive compulsive licking can have adverse effects...a bit different from cleaning...poor thing :o(

• luvdogs
    17 years ago

I just dealt with almost the same thing. My Shar Pei had a wound just at the nail bed on a front paw. She licked and licked.

I put that self-adhesive "vet wrap" on the paw for a couple of days and it seemed to abort her chronic licking, thus letting it dry and heal. It looked cute too because the vet wrap comes in bright colors. She was wearing a bright purple soft shoe for awhile. The wound may heal with chronic licking but I would try to stop the licking for a day or two at least and it will heal much faster and stop bothering the dog.

vicky

vicky

• elizabethty
    15 years ago

maybe your dog is infected with bacterial, fungal or parasitic.

Here is a link that might be useful: symptoms of dog licking

• chjones495_bellsouth_net
    15 years ago

My dog will not stop licking his wound. We have tried bitter tasting meds but that has not phased him. The wound has gotten bigger since Friday and we aren't quite sure what to do for him except another trip to the vet

• ottoma5979_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

Today is march 12, my dog was spayed Feb. 9, and is being infected since then.
    She is being at the vet 6 times, I don't trust this vet ( Circle City Animal Hospital in Corona Ca.) I don't recommend him he just want you to keep going back to keep getting your money. Help!

• ottoma5979_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

Today is march 12, my dog was spayed Feb. 9, and is being infected since then.
    She is being at the vet 6 times, I don't trust this vet ( Circle City Animal Hospital in Corona Ca.) I don't recommend him he just want you to keep going back to keep getting your money. Help!