Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
inthedrink_gw

New Pool Build in Hotlanta

inthedrink
14 years ago

A quick thank you to all the faithful posters out there who have made this forum what it is....a fantastic resource for novices like ourselves.

After a month of draining underground water with a sump pump, we finally have a build underway.

Here are our pool specs....

853 sq.ft., 3.5'-9' deep freeform (roughly 44X20)

Spa-oval, 18" raised with 8 power jets, Polaris booster pump and Pentair light

Cascading spa water feature

Salt System-Jandy AquaPure

405K BTY Rheem Heater

Aqua Link RS-8 Controller with remote

Auto-fill

All Jandy Equipment for pumps/filter/valves

2-Pentair lights for pool

Baja shelf

bench in deep end

Travertine tumbled decking & coping in Noche

Pool tile for waterline: Aztec Ash Nero

Pebble Tec or sheen (still puzzling over color)

17x17 covered cedar pavilion (decking now, raised part this winter)

.....and now for some pictures of progress...if I can get it to work right.

http://s740.photobucket.com/albums/xx44/danavb1/Matthews%20Pool%20Build%202010/

Comments (22)

• poolguynj
    14 years ago

Third option is what is used here, last I saw.

Scott

• amy_texas
    14 years ago

Looking at your equipment, I see that you mostly have Jandy but a different heater and Pentair lights. Did you know that if you use all the same manufacturer your warranty goes from 1 year to 3 years?

Also, will your Pentair lights work with a Jandy remote?

• inthedrink
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hmmm....good question Amy....will get some answers to that one tomorrow.

• inthedrink
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, thought I should update our progress since we have finished phase 1 of our project. First, we can't say enough about the quality workmanship that went into making our pool a reality. We have not one complaint about our construction experience with Neptune Pools. They were upfront about everything from the beginning so there were never any surprises. Chris Wujcik was so great to work with...she's a genius designer and would recommend her to anyone building in Atlanta. And last but not least, Neptune's stone guy, Mark, who turned Chris' artwork into a beautiful reality. We are so grateful. Thank you!

Finally, a big thank you to this forum for the 2 years worth of virtual brain picking that prepared us for this process...you guys are the best.

• jsldh
    13 years ago

Great pool and I am digging that shower!! Do you use it very often? We've talked about having one outside but didn't know if it would be practical. I love the idea of it though!!

• inthedrink
    Original Author
    13 years ago

We love the shower. We use it more than we thought we would. Mostly put it in so the kids wouldn't have to run through the house if they needed to.....you know. They think it's the best thing ever and we did it ourselves, so you know it had to be pretty easy to do.

• apdnj
    13 years ago

Inthedrink...beautiful, well done. If you would be so kind to answer a couple of questions I would appreciate it.

How large is your deck sq/ft wise?

Do you have a closer pic of your water, waterline tile and decking?

Was it difficult to find another stone such as EP Henry or related concrete product to match the travertine? (if you needed to use something else)

I am in the middle of a build and your answers will help me a lot. Thanks and good luck with your pool.

Art

• inthedrink
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hey Art,
    Our main decking is about 1100 sq. feet and that includes the sidewalk up to the raised decking. The raised decking (soon to be covered pavilion) is about 220 sq. ft. I'll take a close up picture tomorrow of the water, waterline tile and decking together...too dark out now. Our stone guys were so fabulous that they matched up the stone to our travertine color choice. All the stone is natural and I think they did a great job. I can ask for the stone color from our guys if you'd like. We didn't want an orange stone, so it's more the greys and browns that they used. Hope that helps a little. Look for pictures tomorrow.

• typea
    13 years ago

Wow I just love the look of your pavers! We are going with travertine pavers also. Ours are ivory in the french pattern.

On the coping around your spa, what are the dimensions? We couldn't find a double bull nose greater than 14" wide.

• apdnj
    13 years ago

Thank you very much...

• joanneswimsct
    13 years ago

STUNNING!
    Joanne

• inthedrink
    Original Author
    13 years ago

@Art-here are those pictures.
    @typea-our stone guys used the largest pieces of leftover travertine to do the spa. He had to do a bit of cutting and rounding on the inside edges, but it turned out better than we had imagined. Will get those measurements for you later but will post some up close shots of the spa.@Joanne-thanks!!

• inthedrink
    Original Author
    13 years ago

typea--the length of the coping pieces are about 22" and 15-16" at their widest point.

• apdnj
    13 years ago

As I said earlier, very pretty, especially up close. Thanks again.

• thingsthatinspire
    13 years ago

Great looking pool! I read this post with interest as I am also in Atlanta, and had heard that travertine could not be used because we sometimes get frost and sub freezing weather here (which could lead to cracking). I guess this is not true based on your pool install! My sister in law in Florida has travertine pavers, and she loves it because they don't get too hot in the sun.

• inthedrink
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, thingsthatinspire, I'll let you know about that cracking after this winter is finished. We have spare pavers left over that we decided to hang on to just in case, but from what I've heard, we should be just fine. We sure do love our travertine and would highly recommend it to anyone. Love that it doesn't get too hot to walk on. It's gets hot, but not like concrete, that's for sure.

• kitcottone86
    9 years ago

Reading your post, I see you went with Neptune Pools. I live in Atlanta, and have been looking at using Neptune also. The stone is where I am having doubts. I keep getting mixed messages about Travertine cracking... "due to the open pores and small crevises in the natural Travertine stone, it tends to collect water. During winter the freeze/thaw process makes the stone spall, or have small fractures, and small pieces break off of the surface." Can you tell me: Did they dry set your Travertine? How thick are your pavers? Other than hiring Neptune, did you have to persuade them to install a certain way based on what you learned from your research, or were they expert enough to just do it automatically? In hindsight, now that you have had it in for a while, would you do anything different? Did you seal the travertine? Thanks!!

• Jess L
    8 years ago

what color pebble tech did you decide on? thank you is this aqua blue sheen?

• Mary Grant Justin
    7 years ago

Wondering too what color PebbleSheen?

• danavb1
    6 years ago

It is Aqua Blue PebbleSheen

• Christian Decor
    2 years ago

Georgeous. What was approximate cost and dL do you have pics of the pavilion? Anything you’d differently after 3 years?

The outdoor shower idea was GENIUS!