Software
Houzz Logo Print
purrus

Did you plan for a junk/misc drawer?

13 years ago

I'm worried that if I don't, the junk will just go everywhere. My husband is a big of a slob. What is the GW official party line on junk drawers?

Right now, we have a junk drawer that contains rubber bands, binder clips, scissors, pencils and pens, stamps, catnip, cat treats, and other randomness I can't even remember right now even though I look in there at least once or twice a day.

Comments (35)

  • 13 years ago

    I gave my DH his own drawer and I have a matching drawer - they are in our sunroom "caves" but DH is OCD and his drawers are perfect.
    I also used MadeSmart and Lee Valley inserts to help keep myself organized.

  • 13 years ago

    OK. Haha! I will keep my junk/misc drawer then and just get some dividers. I think that drawer will also hold the bottle openers, wine accoutrements, and ice cream scoop. LOL!!

  • 13 years ago

    I found a picture of mine - you can see some of the containers


    Not my junk drawer but better shot of the MadeSmart containers - I have swapped some out for different sizes - they even keep me organized

  • 13 years ago

    Very nice a2gemini ! Those are gorgeous! I looked on lee valley's website and think I will at the very least need to invest in one of their flatware organizers!

  • 13 years ago

    I did, 2 in fact! And I made dividers to fit each thing precisely. It brought me a twisted sort of joy to so meticulously organize my junk!

  • 13 years ago

    purrus - the Lee Valley utensil insert is made by Rev-a-shelf. I ordered it thinking it was their model, but the box said Rev-a-shelf - they knife insert - I bought locally.

  • 13 years ago

    I used to have FIVE. Just for me! In the new kitchen, I took it down to two. Oh, and the dog has one of her own. None of mine look nearly as nice as those pictured.

  • 13 years ago

    I planned to designate one drawer for "junk," and it ended up being the drawer below my double ovens. It's wide and skinny. Perfect, except for the bending over part...

  • 13 years ago

    What would a kitchen be without a junk drawer? I have two. Never Ever Land and the Bermuda Triangle! I couldn't give either one of them up!

  • 13 years ago

    We have 5 junk drawers. ;o)

    There's a pair of 18" w top drawers in our island as you walk in from the mudroom, and DH & I each have one--and they are really junky--filled with whatever.

    There's a disorganized 21"w x 9" h bottom drawer for house junk (pulls, hooks, electrical odds & ends, hinges, etc.) in one of the 4-drawer cabinets to the L of the trash cabinet. Some day this will move to the workshop, and the drawer will be used for something else, I hope.

    There's an 18"w top drawer with dividers in the desk in the kitchen eating area for what you'd expect there.

    There's a well-organized 36"w top drawer in the mail sorting cabinet in the mudroom for credit card receipts, camera stuff, chargers, etc.

    Anne

  • 13 years ago

    We have 5 junk drawers. ;o)

    There's a pair of 18" w top drawers in our island as you walk in from the mudroom, and DH & I each have one--and they are really junky--filled with whatever.

    There's a disorganized 21"w x 9" h bottom drawer for house junk (pulls, hooks, electrical odds & ends, hinges, etc.) in one of the 4-drawer cabinets to the L of the trash cabinet. Some day this will move to the workshop, and the drawer will be used for something else, I hope.

    There's an 18"w top drawer with dividers in the desk in the kitchen eating area for what you'd expect there.

    There's a well-organized 36"w top drawer in the mail sorting cabinet in the mudroom for credit card receipts, camera stuff, chargers, etc.

    Anne

  • 13 years ago

    Yes. I think most people have a junk drawer. Everyone I know does. But we planned just outside kitchen, in the foyer, in what we call the mail cubbie, which includes those, a recycling bin, and a junk drawer. Works great!

  • 13 years ago

    Yup. We designated the top drawer in the peninsula under the phone niche. We pretty much got the junk down to a few essential pens, pencils, markers, note pads, a flashlight, a measuring tape, and a very few odds and ends.

    The only way that way possible, though, was because when re-did the back bedroom, we installed a full height cupboard which I call The Stationery Store. The Stationary Store has a remarkable collection of reams of paper (printer, colors, heavy linen, photo), folders, rulers enough for an elementary school class, glue, envelopes, tape, clipboards, paper clips, etc., etc., etc. Not to mention the other 3,000 pens and pencils. I swear I keep getting rid of all those pens, but they keep breeding in there!

  • 13 years ago

    Yup, planned for it. It's a small drawer but every kitchen needs a junk drawer!

  • 13 years ago

    I agree. Everyone needs a junk drawer. However, my kitchen is small so I can't afford to give up prime space to store my junk. I have asked my cabinet guy to add a toe kick drawer under my main sink base. It will require some bending down but that's ok.

  • 13 years ago

    So what is in your junk drawers? Is it more of a miscellaneous drawer or a true I-have-no-idea-what's-in-there junk drawer?

  • 13 years ago

    Definitely Misc. lets see....stamps, hammer, screwdriver, nails, itty bitty light to walk dog at night, measuring tape, tape tape, lip balm, 157 misc screws , pocket knife, receipts, balducci's coupons (expired, now in recycling bin), pens, pencils, a random wood stain touch up marker... It's quite the mess, but small so we can find whatever pretty easily.

  • 13 years ago

    I recently switched from an I-have-no-idea-what-is-in-there drawer to a miscellaneous drawer -- felt great! For the renovation I put a cabinet in a small back hall right off the kitchen and have two miscellaneous drawers which I'm hoping to keep from becoming I-have-no-idea-what-is-in-there drawers. Time will tell. But even if they revert to their natural untamed state, at least they're not doing it in prime kitchen real estate.

  • 13 years ago

    I have two -- one official junk drawer and one beneath that I call a "tool drawer" but that's just a lie to make myself feel better. Pens, rubber bands, twist-ties, clothes pins, loose screws, scotch tape, freezer tape, packing tape, 12 tubes of chapstick. All my furniture touch-up sticks and a Sharpie in every color of the rainbow. Also one set of basic tools so I don't have to run to the garage every time I need to hang a picture.

    a2gemini, I must have a kitchen-crush on you. I totally love every aspect of your design and I just bought that danged knife rack . . . !

  • 13 years ago

    Our current one is kind of a mixture between a miscellaneous drawer and a junk drawer. And we are MOST DEFINITELY having a junk drawer in the new kitchen.

    I actually had originally drawn my plans without one and when I was laying out where everything would live, I realized I didn't have that. I changed things around to make certain we would have it...I went from a 2 deep drawer base in the one area to a 3 drawer --> 1 shallow and then 2 moderate drawers. Can't remember off the top of my head, but it's either a 30" or a 33" drawer.

    Current contents: pens, rubberbands, tape, sticky notes, twist ties, tape measure, crank flashlight, mini-screwdriver set, gift cards, and a whole lotta other stuff that we may or may not need. For now, I'm intending that some of the things that have residence in the JD will go to the broom closet - rubber bands, twist ties, flashlight, screwdriver, etc...but I'm getting frightened...I have more and more plans for what goes in the broom closet. I may find myself with more plans than room! haha

  • 13 years ago

    Pretty much more of the same as above.
    I have compartments for pens, markers, tape, paper pro stapler, scissors, LED flash light, index cards, stickies, small tool kit DH has the rubber bands and magnifier. I have the "thank you" box - which holds change and a few dollars from my mother. It is just a tin box that I think had hard candy in it. If you needed a couple cents, you could get it from the box and say - thank you- ok, corny but good memories.

  • 13 years ago

    Absolutely I planned every square "junk" inch in my small kitchen!

    I have two "junk" drawers at the top of my 4-high 18-inch base cabinet - although honestly, the stuff inside is stuff we use everyday (hair supplies for my daughter, pens, chargers, washable tattoos, bandaids - ha ha ha).

    Top junk

    Next junk

    I also have a filing system right above it for bills, lists, etc. - or my "paper junk". I don't have a "landing strip" so my junk drawers and filing system fulfill that need as well.

  • 13 years ago

    I had 3 junks drawers in my old kitchen. Have planned for one in the new "desk" area of so to be kitchen. There isn't actually a desk there, but I plan on keeping bill stuff above and all the kids games and crayon stuff in the cabinet below. I hope it is enough!

  • 13 years ago

    Absolutely. It's a must.

  • 13 years ago

    Mizlizzie- thank you. I am glad that my kitchen inspired you.
    My DH OCD is starting to rub off on me - a bit frightening that my junk drawer is organized :-).

  • 13 years ago

    I didn't plan for one, but I ended up with 2. I guess I should have planned for it. If you know you have a pile of paper etc all over, then give yourself the flexibility of one of your drawers becoming a junk drawer. Utensil dividers or desk organizers really help.

  • 13 years ago

    My junk drawer is pretty well organized, and has mostly fix-it stuff - screwdriver, pliers, glue, rubber bands, tape measure. This drawer is only 12" wide; the one in my new kitchen will be 16" wide, but contain mostly the same stuff.

    I have a desk in the kitchen, with drawers for things like scissors, stamps, pens and pencils, stapler, etc.

  • 13 years ago

    I don't have one. Anything that is office related, paper, pens, etc goes in the desk in the office. Anything tool related, screw drivers, etc. goes in the basement at the tool bench.

    I had planned on an "office" drawer in the dining room buffet so that at least pen and paper would be available on the 1st floor. That won't be needed now that DS has moved his bedroom to the 2nd floor office and we moved the office into his bedroom which is off of the dining room.

    Growing up we always had a "junk" drawer and I always found it had nothing but junk. Stuff you never use, pens that don't work, etc.

  • 13 years ago

    I boldly opted for no junk drawer. I'm hoping to take care of that when I redo the great room. Planing some built in storage there and a consul table, so the assorted miscellany can live there. Of course I didn't plan for where it will live between now and then, so it might end up back in the kitchen.

    I do have one little secret trick up my sleeve for the kitchen for some litte stuff, I'm hoping we can make it work and will post lots of pics if it actually materializes.

  • 13 years ago

    Williamsen - that isn't fair to keep us in suspense!!!
    Can't wait to see what you do!

  • 13 years ago

    We put a divider in one of our top drawers which helps keep the junk confined to one side. The right side is for foil, plastic wrap, ziploc bags, etc. The left side is for junk like pens and paper, binder clips we use to close things like bags of chips, the power cord for our antique toaster and most of all, restaurant take out menus. Not that we order much takeout anymore :-)

  • 13 years ago

    Williamsen - ummm...hey! No holding out on those of us that are just about to sign with our cabinet maker but aren't too late to make some last moment changes...if there is a super-fab idea out there that will make for a better kitchen, you gotta spill.

  • 13 years ago

    I just have a nifty spacer location I think will get a sweet pull out for keys and such. They don't make a 15 inch deep double angle cab so I need a 3 inch spacer behind it. Might as well use that 3 inches!

    Will know in about 5 weeks if it works, that's when cabs are going in. Ok, that was the last detail, but if it will help someone, it's worth spilling the beans :-)

  • 13 years ago

    Yes, I planned for a junk drawer. It cracks me up what some of you consider junk, though! My junk drawer has dividers and looks nice, but it actually contains JUNK! Bits of hardware and do-hickies the origins or homes of which I have no clue; spent batteries and ink cartridges; Broken Things I Intend To Fix One Day, etc.

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio