Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pinksongbird

Electrical Wiring Standards and Regulations

pinksongbird
11 years ago

Hi there

I wonder if anyone can help. My partner and I have just been granted a house. My partner is from a refugee family from the north/south cyprus war. The government here are obliged to give the refugee families homes for up to 4 generations and fix them to a liveable standard. We were getting quotes for extra sockets which we were going to pay for ourselves as some of the rooms have no sockets what so ever. After visits from 3 electricians trained in different parts of the world each had told us the same thing; the whole house needs rewiring. We informed the government and they said if it is unsafe they are obliged to fix it. I need to know the european regulations and standards so that i can quote it to them when they try to tell us that it's fine how it is. Often in cyprus they think they don't have to abide by the laws. I have tried to find online the document IEC 60364 but I cannot find it. Can anyone help? I need to know what makes electrical wiring unsafe enough to require rewiring? Also if by law the wires need to be channelled into the walls so they are not visible? Or if they are ok tacked to the outside of the wall and boxed in? Sorry for the long post. Thank you in advance.

Comments (2)