Software
Houzz Logo Print
stargirl_gw

Do You Have a Large Armoire in a Small Space?

18 years ago

I'm thinking of purchasing an armoire for the master bedroom. Problem is the room is a little small. But the wall across from the king-size bed would be perfect for the piece. This wall has two, tall windows with a blank space (about 36-40 inches wide) in between. This is where I want to put the armoire. Do you have an armoire in a small space, or pictures that you could share? Do you feel an armoire is the best piece of furniture for this space, opposed to a dresser or chest. I want something that does double-duty -- hold a TV and clothes too.

Comments (24)

  • 18 years ago

    I have a huge armoire in a small living room. Sorry no pics. It holds a TV, and components and lots of "stuff" in the drawers. the room does have a very high cathedral ceiling, but the armoire is one that is huge and heavy.
    In your bedroom, if it is up stairs, make sure you can get it up the steps.
    Yes, I think an armoire is perfect for that space if you find the right one. Measure carefully! It will also balance out the wide king size bed.
    Also make sure you can fully open the doors w/out hitting your bed. Doors that fold completely back are very nice for TV viewing. Also make sure you can access the drawers w/out having to open the doors if you put clothes in them.
    My son had one in his bedroom in our other house and it was perfect. It later was retrofitted w/ a rod for hanging clothes when he moved into an apt. in college.
    Hope it works for you.

  • 18 years ago

    I appreciate your helpful advice. No, I don't have stairs, thank goodness! And, there is no problem about the doors hitting the bed. Guess I'm just afraid that a large piece of furniture like this would look like an elephant sitting in the room. But, if I only have the bed, armoire, and bedside tables in the room, I'm thinking that it shouldn't be too much.

  • 18 years ago

    I think it will look better then a narrow dresser or a chest of drawers and it no doubt will be very functional. Tape the area out on the floor w/ some masking tape and blue painters tape on the wall the exact size of the armoire and live with that for a few days. That will help you visualize the occupied space even though it is not 3D.

  • 18 years ago

    Make sure the bed can hold it's own against the armoire. If you have a small headboard or none at all, you might want to consider a change. If your bedside tables can handle it, get larger lamps or if not, lamps that mount on the wall which will add weight to the area. A substantial piece of art over the bed would be nice, too.

  • 18 years ago

    Our main level guest room is only 14.5ft x 14ft. Ceilings are 9ft. We have a large armoire between the windows. There is 5ft between the bed and the armoire.

    {{!gwi}}

  • 18 years ago

    My room is EXACTLY like yours, allison. My wall space isn't quite that wide, however. The bed can hold its own. It's iron and the headboard is arched (taller in the center). Also, the ceilings are higher in the center of the room. Seeing that beautiful armoire brings up this question -- would it be better to choose one in a lighter color opposed to dark wood? (My walls are ivory).

  • 18 years ago

    Allison, just curious -- does your bed match your armoire? Also, do you have matching nightstands?

  • 18 years ago

    Allison, I love your armoire! Everything you post is always so beautiful!

    Stargirl, we don't have it anymore, and we live in a different house now, but we used to have a huge armoire in a small living room, and it was fine. As long as the size will physically work for you, I think it would be fine.

  • 18 years ago

    Allison, your armoire is exactly like mine. :) Well, not sure about the color..difficult to tell on my monitor. Everything is different from what it should be.

  • 18 years ago

    If you only have 36-40 inches between the windows, I think a large armoire may be to large for the area. Without seeing the actual room and its size, its hard to say if it would be to large for a small room. There is always a danger in putting such a large piece of furniture in a small room.

  • 18 years ago

    Thank you ladies!

    Stargirl, the bed iron (distressed finished) has a flat footboard, arched headboard. The armoire is a tad more yellow-ish and the bed is tan/offwhite. The bedside table and console table match each other (Bombay Co 9yrs ago). This was DD1's furniture in our last house. I'm in the middle of redoing the bedding but I'll post a photo link anyway. I've gotten the new rug too and decided to remove the ottoman. It was in the way, room too small.

    Patricia, I found the armoire at Rich's 9yrs ago. DD1 okay'd. It has a crackle finish. All shelves inside - no drawers.

    I'm having problems with Shutterfly, but I'll go ahead and post this so I don't loose. I'll try again later.

  • 18 years ago

    Allison, that is where I got mine but I think it is older than that. We have had it long enough that I have retrofitted it for a TV. Does yours have pocket doors? Mine was probably white with a caramel wash. It's mossy green now.

  • 18 years ago

    Don't you just love it when you take pictures, only to see a cord hanging down?! lol

    I've changed the orchid to one that is more russett - the color of the bedding sample. Bedding has been changed to russett coverlet on bed with gold twin folded across the foot of bed. Russett shams behind the silk Euros...and I'm having a bedskirt made in a solid silk the color of the Euros. It should be ready any day now. I plan on recovering the chair also.

    Here is a link that might be useful: Pictures

  • 18 years ago

    Allison, I love your cozy guest bedroom. Your lamp on top of the little table in the room (make-up table maybe)looks nice there and has given me some ideas since it looks nice and goes so well with the other lamps due to the shade color and style they all have in common although they are all different colors and a little different from one another. I also love the tall white lamp with the white shade next to that cozy looking chair. The Armoice is beautiful. The bed is very nice. You have such good taste and have a way to make everything you decorate just beautiful.

  • 18 years ago

    Stargirl, I found this one, a Louis XVI, in driving distance from your work. Don't rush down to get it in the morning, because I might want it. LOLOLOL. I love it, adore it but look at that price tag.

    http://www.rubylane.com/shops/nicolemaleineantiques/ilist?id=0

  • 18 years ago

    as I thought. Her stuff is usually through the ceiling. This one seems moderately priced for that shop.

  • 18 years ago

    Patricia, I just love the antiques on this site! I have such eclectic taste. I love your taste.

  • 18 years ago

    Oh, Alison, what a beautiful guest room. I love everything about it!

    To the OP, I keep my television and equipment in an antique armoire, and it's wonderful. When company comes, the doors quickly close and hide all the unsightly wires.

  • 18 years ago

    I have an armoire in my living room between 2 windows - the space is a little more than 40" wide and the armoire takes up all of it. I don't think it looks crowded. We keep a little TV in there for when my husband wants to watch sports and the kids want to watch their shows.

    This is the only pic I could find and it's not a very good one (I was taking a picture of the rug, which I had just bought and subsequently returned since I decided it didn't work). I'm too lazy to go look for my camera and take a new pic. :-)

  • 18 years ago

    What a pleasant surprise to arrive at the forum and find all the wonderful pictures and advice. Let me take a few minutes to absorb it all, and I'll get back as quickly as I can. I especially appreciate the beautiful pictures, Allison, and the treasure you found, Patricia.

  • 18 years ago

    patricia, it does not have pocket doors. The top doors fold back against the sides. The top has a hanging rod (removed) with a shelf above. Electrical plug for tv came inside as well. The bottom has shelves and is divided down the center. Another plug down there.

    Thank you Lynn, Juddgirl and Stargirl.

  • 18 years ago

    Lkplatow, I'm sorry, I intended to thank you for posting the picture. That is how the armoire will look on my wall. It will be positioned between two windows, and almost touching them. And, you're right -- yours doesn't look crowded at all. I plan to have window treatments similar to yours.

  • 7 years ago
    I have a huge armoire and considering placement between two windows but it partly overlap them. Ceiling is almost 12’ tall, piece is 9’ tall & almost 5’ wide and wall space between windows is only 3’. (Molding is 5” on each window) I’m installing smart blinds, so minimal window treatment. Fireplace in 1 corner, big pockets doors on other side of the room. I can put it on the wall to the right of windows but that makes arranging the loveseat and chair difficult. Thoughts?
  • 7 years ago

    IMO the piece you described is too big for the space. I love your black doors and molding.