Software
Houzz Logo Print
clvransom

Help! Counter Top Edge Advice Request

14 years ago

Help! Which type of counter top edge looks best with shaker style cabinets? My shaker wide style cabinets should go in on Friday. I can choose from eased, 1/4 bevel, half bull nose, 1/2 bevel, or chiseled with no up charge.

They're trying to get the granite fabricator out to do the template on the same day with hopes of getting my counter and sink back by x-mas.

Thank you in advance!

Comments (17)

  • 14 years ago

    dear diva-

    i prefered eased edge for mine. make sure you mock up the edge in cardboard so you understand fully the length it will hang down, how far out it juts out and thickness. once it is done it is done so be sure you know what you are committing to.

  • 14 years ago

    I have shaker style cabinets in my new kitchen. When the fabricator came to measure and template he also brought sample pieces of different edge profiles so I could see how they looked on my cabinets. The eased or straight edge looked the best to me. It is simple but complements the rails on the doors and drawers. The fabricator said that a 1 1/2 in overhang from the cabinet depth was needed to accommodate the drawers and doors which are full overlay. Here is a picture to help you see how they looked.
    {{!gwi}}

  • 14 years ago

    I prefer an eased edge also. It's as close as I could come to a straight edge. I prefer clean, straight lines anyway, and I think the eased edge compliments Shaker cabs.

    I was able to look at edge options in my fabricator's showroom. Do they have samples to show you?

  • 14 years ago

    One point to consider is the pattern of the stone you have. Someone posted a while back that they wished they hadn't spent the money on a complex edge design because it didn't show up with the heavy pattern of their granite. They thought it was a wasted expense. They posted a picture if I recall, and I agreed that the fancy edge was hardly visible.

  • 14 years ago

    I too have a 1/2 round edge but I regret it.
    : (

    I wish I had known more about options because I would
    have had one of the beauties below.
    ~boxerpups

    My counter




  • 14 years ago

    We have 5/8" bevel (just slightly bigger than 1/2" bevel) in our kitchen and laundry room and are totally pleased with it. It is a little different than eased which, to us, seemed a little to plain, but it isn't fancy like some of the beautiful (but not for our preference) edges posted by Boxer above. I had a friend that had a fancy one like that and she said it was a dust and food trap - harder to keep clean. Our bevel edge is very easy to clean and keep that way and it helps show a little different dimension of our granite (which is Volga Blue - black/dark gray with chunks of vivid blue). The blue mica on the bevel really pops.

    We have crescent in our bathrooms which is similar to bull nose but not fully rounded and we are very happy with that, too. It was not an upgrade charge with our fabricator.

  • 14 years ago

    I personally chose Ogee for my upcoming.... almost done kitchen countertop.
    It doesn't take much away from your countertop, but at the same time its elegant and sharp looking.

  • 14 years ago

    Have you seen my finished kitchen? I just posted it last week. I have 1/2 bullnose on the perimeter and ogee on the island. Hope that helps.

  • 14 years ago

    I got the (straight) ogee edging, shown in boxerpup's 4th pic.
    Not too plain (or fancy ) and IMO it makes a difference.
    Not crazy expensive either...cost was very minimal.

    No prob keeping clean!
    In our previous kitchen we had the plain, straight edge and I didn't really care for it. I find no difference keeping my ogee clean, compared to my old kitchen's edging.

  • 14 years ago

    Thank you everybody! It seems everyone thinks the eased edge looks best with the shaker style cabinets.

    I like the crescent/half moon/lunar edge, but I'm not sure if it will compliment my cabs. I'm getting an entry level one granite called New Caledonia. My cabs are a charcoal/smokey color.

    Badgergal, I love your curvy kitchen. I'm getting custom Amish cabinets, also.

  • 14 years ago

    My counters are coming today and I have shaker cabs. I can post a pic later. I went with the demi edge. Now, I'm stressing that I should of gone with the straight edge. But, I love the rounded edges and wasn't crazy for the fancy ones, so round seemed to work. Plus, I am hoping the pattern waterfalls over the edge. That was the plan at least!

  • 14 years ago

    For centuries, or for thousands of years, a little drip edge is added, to stop drips and spills. Easy as pie. Kitchen renovators seem not to like doing it as a regular course of action.

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Does anyone know the answer to this - I have a 2 1/2" mitered flat edge and shaker overlay doors. When the doors were installed I noticed that I only have a 1/8" overlay over the door and drawer fronts. The counter does not protect the doors at all. Now the fabricator tells me that with a mitered edge they can only make a 1" overlay and not the 1 1/2 overlay that is standard with a flat eased edge. They said that when using a mitered edge only an inset door and drawer will do so that you can get enough overhang. Has anyone ever heard of this before? Any suggestions in how to correct this problem? How to add on to a granite edge. I can't rip out the countertop. Could possibly plane down the doors and drawers or make new inset doors and drawers but this is problematic to do.

  • 10 years ago

    I really don't understand your question, but I will say I have a mitered edge on one of my bathroom vanities and the cabinets are not inset.

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Mine are 1/2 bull ( I think?) with white shaker cabs. I wanted something very rounded since the counter top was the exact height of my clumsy 4 year olds' head. I was going for the edge that would be most likely to avoid stitches. ;) As it happens, I really like how it looks together.

  • 10 years ago

    I have a fancy edge on my dining room table, and I really dislike it. it eats into the usable space; if anything gets close to the edge, it's unstable; it's annoying to clean.


    And with Shaker, I think a cleaner line is better; Shaker is all about straight lines and lack of adornment (" 'tis a gift to be simple...")