Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dsommerl

Bertch cabinets--Markus cabinets??

dsommerl
16 years ago

A St Louis area cabinet shopper with full detailed KD plans in hand has been beating the streets over the last two months

Omega/Dynasty--Mouser---I can't even remember all the quotes I've gotten---Kitchen dealer cab quotes are remarkably lining up at $50 to $65K

Have now drilled down to the custom/semi custom local folks

Just met with a guy who sells the Bertch line (mfg in Waterloo IA)--he came in at $40-$45K--complete. Plus 12% if he also installs them. The product is very impressive---

Does anybody have any feedback on Bertch Cabinets?

Another finalist is Markus Cabinets (made in Southern IL)---They too are impressive looking product Strictly frameless construction. I should have a quote from them next week--and I expect they'll also be very competitive.

Their business model is selling direct to builders and home owners (no dealer mark ups)--Can anyone offer opinions and experience with Markus cabs?

THANKS !!

Comments (10)

• glad
    16 years ago

much smaller scale, but both of my bath vanities are bertch white thermafoil - one matte, one high gloss and the quality is good.

• pamelasummers
    16 years ago

Hi
    I live in a Victorian House which I purchased 18 yrs ago. One of my first renovations was the kitchen because there wasn't one to speak of.. I selected Bertch cabinets in cherry with a raised door panel to complement the doors and woodwork in my house. Seventeen years ago they were expensive! I was going to go for a less expensive alternative but my ex husband said that I would remember the quality long after I had forgotten the cost - or something like that. Anyway, I went with the Berth and have been ever so pleased. They still look great. I recently ( actually not quite done) did an upgrade with new appliances and granite. THe cabinets look better than ever. I am glad that I chose good quality because I did not have to replace them with the redo.
    Hope this helps.

• hope402
    16 years ago

Hi. Who did you go with? Bertch or Markus? I too am shopping for kitchen and bath cabinets. I got a quote from a Bertch dealer, but it was over my budget.

• carolemed
    16 years ago

I just installed Bertch elan in light green thermofoil and I love them. The quality is great and they are beautiful. In addition, I have had a bath vanity made by Bertch for almost 15 years and it is as good as the day I installed it. That made me head for Bertch for my new kitchen.

• dsommerl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Getting back on this

My cab finalists are Markus (builder out of S IL with a west county showroom)---Bertch and Royal Wood Products (custom builder in St Charles area.

Can anyone comment on these three--especially Royal and Markus?

Thanks

• berryberry
    16 years ago

WOW - $50K to $65K just for cabinets - I have to ask how many feet of cabintes are you talking about. That would clearly blow my kitchen remodel plans out of the water

• dsommerl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, it's down to $25K to $40K among my finalists--
    I have a lot of cabinets in my plan. About

Woodmode came in around $70K---the big national brands $48 to $55K. Knight Kitchens $35K

• pix1
    16 years ago

I would be interested in the custom builder in the St. Charles, IL area. I have been searching for good quality cabinets at a decent price for years. Price, quality, design, never quite seem to be right. I saw a home done in Bertch and they were beautiful. I have never priced them but would definately consider them. If you have info about the custom, please share. Thanks.

• tangotap
    15 years ago

I ordered the Elan series kitchen cabinets from Bertch late last year and started installation three months ago. I am still trying to get a complete set of correct and/or quality cabinetry. About 80% of the kitchen came in with poor quality finishes, dents/gouges that were not caused by transit, mismatched color, incomplete parts, wrong size parts, incomplete shelving, duplicate parts, incomplete hardware, wrong finishes, wrong wood type, etc. One simple example is that they sent me 27"x27" square shelves when the cabinet requires L-shaped shelving. Another example is that the upper drawer for a base cabinet was a different color from the adjacent bottom door. It is now three months and we still have an incomplete kitchen. This is NOT the quality that one expects for the type of money one pays for Bertch custom cabinetry. In addition, they are very stingy with shelving. Wall cabinets that are 39" high only get two shelves. How many people want their shelving 13-14" apart? The entire design of one kitchen wall was based on alignment with a SubZero fridge unit with freezer drawers. All the drawers on that side were the same size except for one which was 1/4 inch higher and cannot be realigned because of the oven unit above it. I would have to remove the double oven, uninstall all the cabinetry along that wall and replace a floor to ceiling unit that houses this drawer. I know people who payed one-half the price with fewer problems.

• juliad
    13 years ago

Does anyone know where I can go online to see the different Markus Cabinetry door styles? We just moved into a place with cherry european Markus cabinets but would like to replace the door and drawer fronts with a more modern/contemporary style. Guess we would need to go with something in the cherry finish to match existing bases.