Software
Houzz Logo Print
an2114

Updates for 1958 tile bathroom

11 years ago
I would like to give this bathroom a cosmetic update. Full remodel is not in the budget right now. I'm thinking of painting the vanity and trim white, and putting a color on the walls. I'll also get a new shower curtain, replace rusty hinges, and update the pulls on the vanity. All fixtures are in good working order and the layout works, but new toilet and vanity are not completely out of the question.

Any recommendations on paint color or anything else that can give this room an easy update? I'm thinking either a robins egg blue or beige. Thanks!!

Comments (16)

  • PRO
    11 years ago
    I don't think I would bother with a new vanity until you are ready of a real redo. I actually love the floor. Clean up the hinges put in new knobs . I think a pale robins egg blue would be nice . This would be a nice shower curtain and I can't see the lighting but maybe some new lighting too.
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    LOVE THE TILE AND FLOOR!!!! give me sizes height, length and depth and I will come up with ideas

    that is vanity size
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    She is not renoing just sprucing up.
  • 11 years ago
    Actually, the tile is fine for now. Go,with white dove trim and vanity, bright white or soft grey walls and shower curtain with bright white ceiling. Update vanity hardware.
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Enhance the vintage and paint window frame and vanity black (even cupboard and back of door) and walls white + vintage feel shower curtain. If you can change the light fixture and mirror, they would be small costs for big impact. Have fun with the room and play up the vintage feel.
    [houzz=
    Extreme Home Makeover House · More Info
    ]; [houzz=
    84" Shower Curtain, Unlined, Ticking Stripe Black · More Info
    ];[houzz=
    Hill Street Hacienda · More Info
    ]
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    i like the idea of painting the window trim black. ideally I would like to replace the vanity (keeping the pink basin), but if that is not on the budget at least I would paint it black,
    next step a wall color. you got a lot going on here, so do not introduce another color such as blue. I would do a very pale pink, like bm proposal
  • 11 years ago
    BM Elmira White will complement your current color scheme...freshen vanity with white dove.
  • 11 years ago
    I wouldn't change a thing except the shower curtain and rusty hinges.
  • 11 years ago
    Thanks for all of the suggestions. The colors may not be shown accurately here. The sink, toilet, and tub are a peachy-beige color rather than pink. I do like the pattern of the floor tile but the brown color scheme wouldn't have been my first choice. Do you think black will go with the brown?
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    The floor tile has the black you need (as well as if you purchase shower curtain, mirror and towels with black), so that black can be incorporated on the trim/vanity and pull the room together. As well black and brown are complimentary. If you purchase a quart of black paint and hate it, it's pretty easy to repaint the small areas. Good luck in your decisions.
  • 11 years ago
    the tile looks burgundy, is that not the case?
  • 11 years ago
    I personally wouldn't use black because I'd be afraid it would tone down the warm, rich brown (which I love). But you may feel differently. Maybe try a couple of black towels or a shower curtain with black to see how you like it. That way you won't have invested much money or effort in case it doesn't work well.
  • 11 years ago
    if it is brown go with bm safari
  • 11 years ago
    decorate/remodel taking into account the house age. I love your floor tile anything you do should keep that if its in good shape. my house was built in '59 and has white fixtures. White fixtures will always be in style and are the cheapest way to go as they are usually stock in home improvement stores. Replacing the vanity and toilet could be cheaper than you think and would go a long way in updating the space. both toilets and vanities can be found for as cheap as $100, you can spend a lot more too ( it is a room you spend every day in and bathrooms sell houses). opt for the largest vanity you can fit in the room. in my bath remodel I was able to go from a 24" to a 48", unbelievable I know but I love the extra counter space. Love black in any room but bring it in as accents, keep your trim white, this is a fairly small bathroom and you wouldn't want to make it seem smaller. I would look for a shower curtain you love that picks up the colors in your tile and then paint the walls a color from that.
  • 11 years ago
    Thanks again for all of the input. The dark tiles in the floor are dark brown rather than black. The wall tiles are a different shade of brown. I am going to try the beige walls with white vanity and trim. I'll post pics when finished.