Software
Houzz Logo Print
nataliem

Need help with kitchen backsplash

11 years ago
I have a few samples but am not sure which to use if any?

Comments (24)

  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Boy, all three are viable choices. I would ask how much natural light and undercabinet task lighting you have. The darker linear mosaic is very dramatic but will darken the room, particularly if you do not have adequate light. The other two are more zen-like. The rectilinear style has been a hot item for a while now but doesn't seem to be fading in popularity. On the other hand, the large format subway tile is very classic and may have more staying power. Good luck in your decision making.
    nataliem thanked Deb Bayless - Design for Keeps
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Of the three, the subway tile but have you considered carrerra marble which would look lovely with your counter and they have shades of blue. [houzz=
    12"x12" Carrara Marble Polished Hexagons, Single Sheet · More Info
    ]
  • 11 years ago
    in this instance, I think the subway tile is screaming "boring!" at me. the one with the darker tiles is very dramatic, but I agree it may suck light unless you are installing under cabinet lighting. do you want to stay all neutrals? If not, see if you can find a tile with perhaps one "metallic" tone or a reddish, coppery color.
  • 11 years ago
    I would normally recommend subway tile. But since your countertop is solid white I prefer the tiles on the right.
  • 11 years ago
    Thanks for all the comments. I am not thrilled with any of my choices now that they have been up for a day and am considering maybe a blue or ?There is a wall of windows opposite the kitchen so there is lots of natural light. It is a very modern house with all white walls.
  • 11 years ago
    A blue or green would be beautiful!
    [houzz=
    Magnolia Residence · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    Ellen Grasso Inc · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    Nantucket Sophisticate · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    San Jose Res 2 · More Info
    ]
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    I love the middle one . I love the blue but you will just have to make sure it connects to other things in the space for it to make sense you know blue bowl accessories evn something blue on the DR table if it adjoins just so it is not just this blue tile. I did this red tile wall across from the sink side with the art work with a lot of red.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    I would choose one of the linear mosaics. The darker of the 2 gives a rich look with your decor while the lighter one seems to be nestled in and comfortable.
  • 11 years ago
    One thing I know: I'd not choose any of the matchstick tiles. They are very busy and too common these days - at least I would soon tire of them. I love the blue or any other solid color that goes with your adjacent rooms.
  • 11 years ago
    Of what you've shown, I prefer the middle one. I'm not crazy about any of them though. I like Ann's idea of a green, especially looking at your teapot there. :)

    Modern Mosaic Tile · More Info

    9"x18" Laser Cut Zen Green Glass Tile, Single Sheet · More Info


    A solid sheet of glass backsplash would look lovely with your cabinetry. Have you considered that?
    GRIFFIN ENRIGHT ARCHITECTS: Mandeville Canyon Residence · More Info

    Waikiki Chic 2 · More Info
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    All you choices are nice ones. I think blue or green or any other color could work as well.
    But what do you think of this?
  • 11 years ago
    The long muti color glass is nice.
  • 11 years ago
    I would not go a color like green or blue. It could be a costly mistake. If using a stainless in appl. Try a stainless subway.
  • 11 years ago
    Thanks again for all your comments I appreciate them. I am getting tired of the linear stacked tile look and like some of you have mentioned , it does seem to be everywhere these days. I have more samples . I do like the idea of solid glass and will look into that
    Ehanback.
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    go with subway glass in blue or green.

    if tired of the stacks try an arabesque tile

    [houzz=
    Georgette Westerman Interiors · More Info
    ] [houzz=
    Irvine Residence · More Info
    ]
  • 11 years ago
    or some by porcelanosa or ann sacks
  • 11 years ago
    Nataliem, I love some of those on your new sample board of blues and greens! I love the one on the left in the top row, the left and middle of the second row, and the long blue one alone in the third row.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Here is a kitchen project that was done by us. Its similar to the photo you originally posted. This is just to give you an idea how each back splash might look. Slightly different colors
  • 11 years ago
    Look under "backpainted glass" here on houzz. It's so ridiculously pretty. I like the blues and greens in your new samples as well!
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    I'll go along with those who've recommended the carrara marble, but in a 3x6 tumbhled version. It would be spectacular against the monotones you have so far! This is a pic of carrara tumbled marble, but in a 4x4, just to give you an idea of what it looks like:
  • 11 years ago
    What about a bluish grey like this?

    [houzz=
    Unconventional Transformation · More Info
    ]
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    I love the Arabesque look.

    We have a collection of Arabesque from Carrara to Metal to Porcelain. I have attached pictures of our Porcelain Arabesque the price is $11.25 a sheet (and that works out to be about $10.50SF).

    Arabesque collection can be found here: http://www.thebuilderdepot.com/arba.html
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    I like all three, I dont think there is a right or wrong with what you have chosen, however, I tend to say timeless choice which is the glossy subway, you could also do a clean carrara marble, love that look with your style kitchen!