Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ngbrienza

What to do with front yard

ngbrienza
9 years ago
I have 4 mature trees with a large ivy ground cover and bordered with rocks from the previous owner. There is one box wood as well. I want this to be cleaned up and looking great come spring time. Thoughts? Ideas?

Comments (17)

• misfoursir
    9 years ago
    Luv the 4 trees. Do not cut down. However, I would do something about the ivy floor that is boxed in with the rocks. Remove the rock box. Put grass in and create a more whimsical design if you wanted to put a border around your path.
  • handymam
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    They may have put ivy if this is a sloped area as well. Slopes are kind of a pain to mow, but not impossible. You could try removing some of the ivy by ringing the trees with it only, or creating beds of it depending on where the trees are located in relation to each other. I think that ivy can give a lush green look, but must be kept in check or it can be invasive.

Can you possible show a pic from the road looking at your house to show the tree placement?
  • partim
    9 years ago
    If they're maple trees, you'll never get anything else to grow under there. Maybe add pots of shade loving flowers rather than trying to grow something in among the tree roots.
  • ngbrienza
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    My front yard has quite a bit of shade so I'd like to have some shade tolerant plants as well as some shrubs. I'll take a front view photo soon and post. I do have a sloped yard as well.
  • ngbrienza
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Here are a few front views. I do like the ground cover I'd just like to better incorporate it into landscaping. I don't have a huge budget but I'd like to find some affordable plant options that grow lush and colorful whether in greens or floral. I live in West central ohio so the climate is always entertaining.
  • PRO
    Indoors & Out Designs, Debbie Truesdale, Owner
    9 years ago
    I have lots of ideas. I just finished a yard for a customer that looked like this. Could you please take a picture of the house from the road so we can get the whole scene?
  • ngbrienza
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I added photos above
  • PRO
    Indoors & Out Designs, Debbie Truesdale, Owner
    9 years ago
    Sorry. For some reason I don't see a picture of the whole front of the house. Did you post one and I just can't see it?
  • ngbrienza
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    How about now?
  • handymam
    9 years ago
    Yup! Pics here!
  • handymam
    9 years ago
    Is that a porch over on the right side? And is that a shrub, hoes or meter by the front of house?

What zone are you, and which direction does your house face?
  • ngbrienza
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    It currently is an overhang with mulch underneath. I'd like to do something with it as well. I'm in zone 6a.
  • ngbrienza
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    The house faces west
  • PRO
    Red Berm
    9 years ago
    Try your zone at the plant catalog at http://www.monrovia.com select shade plants and they should have suggestions. They supply plants throughout the U.S. so u should have good luck finding the plant they suggest.
  • PRO
    Earth, Turf & Blooms
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Less bed ,remove rocks it's a maintenance issue ,give the remaining beds curvier liner lines ,softer smoother flowing lines
  • christina405
    9 years ago
    Azaleas like shade and acid soil. Available in many sizes, colors, and many are native too.