Software
Houzz Logo Print
jdavid10

Would a round rug work?

11 years ago
Hi houzzers, I want to change this rug because I find myself tirelessly cleaning the cream portions of this rug. Also want something a bit brighter to break up all the dark furniture in the room. Would a small round rug work? Help please!?

Comments (51)

  • 11 years ago
    Thanks beachlily! Would you recommend the same size or smaller?
  • 11 years ago
    I saw these on wayfair. Thoughts?
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    HI! I'm not sure how much room is on the left side of the sofa (next to the window) but an oval rug could be cool, that way you could work with the roundness of the table but also pull in the sofa as well!
  • 11 years ago
    I'm not sure what budget is but I like these for your room. The blues/ greens pull out your picture colors.

    If you can find oval, that might work too...only oval ones I saw were braided rugs...not sure that they go with your style.
  • 11 years ago
    Hi jdavid10, have you checked out West Elm for rugs? I don't have a full sense of your style yet, but here's a few examples
  • 11 years ago
    A few more....the first 2 are from Crate&Barrel, the last 2 are Pottery Barn
  • 11 years ago
    I love all these ideas! Thank you! Avery I love the first one you posted the most!
  • 11 years ago
    Beachlily thank you for the idea of pulling in green and blue! My painting does have some red in it and the recliner in the corner is olive green. Are all these colors ok.
  • 11 years ago
    One more question, how big should I go. I have an 8 x 10 now.
  • 11 years ago
    Bump
  • 11 years ago
    I'd definitely stay rectangular, but smaller than what you have now. I bet 6x8 would work fine.

    I'd also go lighter, and pull in some pale blue.

    Lounge Cream and Charcoal Hand-Tufted Rug, 8' X 10' · More Info

    Cambridge Area Rug, Light Blue-Ivory, Hallway Runner 2'6"x8' · More Info

    Loloi Serena SG-01 (Light Blue) 5'6" x 8'6" Rug · More Info

    Studio Area Rug, Rectangle, Mushroom-Pale Blue, 5'x8' · More Info
  • 11 years ago
    Thanks ehanback! I appreciAte the help. I will go smaller. Will the blue in the rug clash with the olive green chair at all?
  • 11 years ago
    Also, this is one of my favorites, what do you think?
  • 11 years ago
    jdavid10, you've shown us only one corner of the room. It's really hard to tell how large a rug should be or to recommend styles or colors without knowing what else is around it.

    Those patchwork type rugs like the last one you posted are too similar to the art over the sofa and will look repetitious. Also, your sofa looks jammed in the corner and feels claustrophobic.

    You'll get better advice if you show us all four sides of the room.
  • 11 years ago
    I see your living room ideabook is full of round rugs. But all of those rooms have the furniture more centered and placed to balance the rug. To go round in your space will probably require a furniture rearrangement.
  • 11 years ago
    Thanks Grover. Here are some additional pics. I will send more when I get home. It's really a small room
  • 11 years ago
    Thanks Grover. The round idea was just something I was playing with. I will prob stay rectangular but maybe something smaller and something close to all the great ideas I got. I love the mustard one from crate and barrel. It's just that the one I have now seems overwhelming and I am a slave to cleaning the cream section every few days!
  • 11 years ago
    This one.
  • 11 years ago
    Thanks for the extra pics, jdavid. I'm trying to orient myself in your room. Are the sofa and the green chair on the same wall and separated by a window?

    I will await more photos after you get home. Then I can Photoshop some rugs in your room and you can see how they look with the furniture and the art. ;-)
  • 11 years ago
    Thanks Grover! I really appreciate it. Yes the couch and chair are on the same wall. Across from the couch is the stairwell, tv and then hallway going to bedrooms.
  • 11 years ago
    Sorry, jdavid, I couldn't tell that chair was olive! I agree with grover; the patchwork is too similar. I'd look for something with a really well defined pattern. I think the beige curtains could probably be changed out also, but I'd wait to see what grover does with your layout. :)

    Waves Aqua Rugs 1302/04 - 42"X66" · More Info

    Monterey Coffee Bean / Dark Olive Green Area Rug · More Info

    Sphinx Hudson Beige Transitional Floral Rug · More Info
  • 11 years ago
    Ehanback I love all those patterns! Thanks! Yes I can't wait to see what Grover does once I post more pics. My hubby thinks we should break out of all the browns and creams, the "safe" colors! Lol!
  • 11 years ago
    This may work?
  • 11 years ago
    jdavid, sorry it took so long, but it took awhile for me to hit on a solution. I'll show you the Crate and Barrel rug, but I think it looks dull in your room.

    First, I moved your sofa to the right and angled your recliner, moving the end table in the triangle created by their arms. Then I had to replace your art with a vertical piece because the horizontal piece doesn't work any more. I balanced it on the left with a tall plant and a table and lamp.

    But I think the ultimate solution for this small room is...no rug at all. Your floor is beautiful, the room looks bigger rugless (not to mention lighter), and you won't have to mess with those pesky ivory parts.

    You may notice I had to replace your recliner. I tried to match the color, but I couldn't use yours because it wasn't pointing the right way. ;-)
  • 11 years ago
    BTW, ignore the fact that I had to replace your floor as well. Yours is way prettier than the one I installed.
  • 11 years ago
    Wow Grover! It's beautiful! I never thought of this before. Going rug less though is a bit scary. Won't it make the room look small? I thought maybe a smaller rug will do it. I can try to angle the chair and see what happens. I'm guessing u don't think any of the rugs work then? Even if a bit smaller?
  • 11 years ago
    I love groveraxle's first picture--with the lovely rug and the new furniture arrangement. No matter how beautiful your floors are, I always feel a rug makes things cozier and defines the space more effectively.
  • 11 years ago
    Yes feeny I always like a rug too. I love all these ideas! Grover, if it isn't too much to ask, can you please try placing the last pier one rug in the living room?
  • 11 years ago
    Also maybe a smaller rug might do it?
  • 11 years ago
    Oh Grover, one more thing, my husband loves the painting above the couch. He actually purchased it. I was wondering if we could possibly find a rug that would compliment it
  • 11 years ago
    I will work with the painting above the couch, but it may have to move. Also, bear in mind a rug will make the room seem smaller, not larger. In fact, try removing the current rug and see.

    Having your furniture lined up and not relating to each other also contributes to the perceived smallness of the room..

    I will place the Pier 1 rug in your space, but it'll be this afternoon before I get to it. Stay tuned.
  • 11 years ago
    Thanks so much Grover!!!! Ur great! I appreciate it!
  • 11 years ago
    I quite like this Pier 1 rug in your room. The addition of the teal is striking, I think.

    I have shown a way to use the horizontal picture over the sofa, though it could perhaps go on the wall behind the recliner.
  • 11 years ago
    Wow Grover I love it! Thank you! I think this is the one! I'm so excited to show my husband. I am glad that the rug and painting don't clash. Seems like it all flows. I will just need some teal pillows.
  • 11 years ago
    Can I get away with a 5x8 or does it have to be 8x10 again?
  • 11 years ago
    Ok so just for home. Moving furniture around and sofa and green chair don't fit. Unfortunately it probably has to stay the same. I guess for now.... Until we get a new chair. Still looking for perfect rug though. I think the pier one rug is the one although I think it may clash with the painting
  • 11 years ago
    Sorry I meant to say that we moved furniture around and it doesn't fit. That being said I think placement must stay the same for now and I will replace the rug with something smaller. I measured and it seems a 6x9 will work. A 5x8 will be too small. Now I just need to find something similar to the suggestions above in the right size and at the right price. I am hoping not to pay more than $400 for a new rug. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
  • 11 years ago
    So the Pier 1 rug doesn't come in 6 x 9. Bummer. I'll look for something similar. The teal is the key, IMO, to the spark it adds to the space.

    Could the sofa move to the other end of the wall and the recliner go in front of the window? You could put the TV on a swivel base to accommodate that arrangement. I surely would like to see a more conversational arrangement.
  • 11 years ago
    I like the first and last the best! I found these
  • 11 years ago
    Or this one. Trying to see which one compliments painting the most. Eventually we can change painting but for now it stays. Thank you for helping me Grover!
  • 11 years ago
    Here are those three rugs. The last seems to complement the painting best.

    Also, don't forget why you want a new rug in the first place: those light parts are hard to keep clean.
  • 11 years ago
    Grover ur awesome! Thank you. I like all three but like u said the light parts are hard to keep clean, esp with a young child. That being said which would you choose? Or do I go back to the drawing board?
  • 11 years ago
    Last pics I promise!
  • 11 years ago
    Latest two:
  • 11 years ago
    jdavid, choosing rugs online is really chancy. Monitors are all calibrated differently, my renderings may not be accurate because of lighting issues, so unless you can get samples to see the actual colors, you're better off buying locally so you can return without humongous shipping charges and/or restocking fees.

    The rugs I've Photoshopped in your space should give you a good idea of what to look for in stores. I would do that first. If you strike out there, then go back online. BTW, if you have a Home Goods or T J Maxx, check them out as well.

    Of all the rugs I've placed in your room, surprisingly my favorite rendering is the one below. BUT, I would be very hesitant to order it online without seeing it because the colors could be wayyyyyyy off.
  • 11 years ago
    Thank you for all of your help. I think it right, I will try homegoods first. Already tried bjs. I like ur selection as well, including the one below. Stay tuned. Shopping I go and I will definitely post and update! Again thanks Grove!
  • 11 years ago
    I am sure you have some great comments but my 2 cents here, (haha), I like the 3 circlular rugs posted by grover. Especially the one with the cream, gold, lighter blue and a couple red circles. Spectacular!!! And the lasst one you posted is nice as well, though it isn't circles. I would go with some red in the mix along with neutrals. It is always nice to mix up shapes. If the table is roundd, going with the Chevron pattern makes your eyes happy. Either way, you are on the right tract. :)
  • 11 years ago
    Thanks Lynnie! Hopefully I find something in the stores. If not I'll have to order it and take a chance