Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dsign79

Need ideas for dead space in kitchen

dsign79
11 years ago
Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if I can get some advice and ideas on what to do with this area. The dimensions are (70" wide, 13" deep). Beside this space is the kitchen island (you can see part of it in the photo). I've thought of putting a console table there with a painting over top, but its pretty tough to find a console table that's only 13" deep. In the future, I would like a few bar stools by the island.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Comments (32)

• PRO
    Kitchen & Bath Design Service
    11 years ago
    A built-in hutch would look great there. It could match the kitchen cabinets or contrast them. Also, a custom cabinet shop could make you a 13" deep buffet if that is all the storage you need. Bench seat would work, too or 12" deep tall pantries. How about a dry bar?
  • yvesun
    11 years ago
    a slim line desk with a single drawer with a tuck away bench and you could add floating shelves above as well.
  • daytimedesign
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
  • Good Taste
    11 years ago
    Built in shelves. Or a really big picture of me.
  • PRO
    Flawless Interior Design
    11 years ago
    It seems to me, your house is clutter-free, otherwise, you would have already packed that area with something. I dont think spending money on built-ins or things of that sort, would be the answer, especially since you are planning on getting bar stools. If, you dont need the storage or the sitting bench suggested, which seems to me would not work ( you need at least 3' between the two furnishings to walk around ), I would hang a nice painting/picture and leave it alone. Just because you have an opening, does not mean, you have to dress it. You could do a collage of family pictures posting your wedding picture on the center top of the arrangement and cascade the pictures of the family as it has evolved over time, its a great conversational item, especially when you get the bar stools, if you do so, make sure, the barstools swivel.
  • karelina
    11 years ago
    I like Ralston's idea, though I might add a tall potted plant in the corner with the pix.
  • homegrown4
    11 years ago
    You could use IKEA floating shelves of various sizes to make a bar wall. Add accessories under and over shelves posters of old liquor ads keep floor clear clutter will narrow space. Good conversation item.
  • dsign79
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank you for all your feedback and creativity! We've been in our house since March and we're trying to keep things clean and simple. The floating shelves is a neat idea and I'll look into this. I'll try and post a photo once its complete!
  • PRO
    RNW Construction
    11 years ago
    As a starter, try adding a stone (or wood) counter which is curved and that extends out the 13" you need. This can be mounted to ledger strips on the wall or, even better floating the counter be use of steel extending from inside the wall. You can also use wall brackets to help keep costs down. After that you can place a mirror or floating shelves above. A mirror in that alcove would be a killer reflecting back the kitchen view.
  • Darzy
    11 years ago
    I think this is a great spot for a wow feature. If the floating shelves didn't "do it" for you, I think a simple solution is a BIG art statement piece. Check this original art at reasonable price...
    Foliage by Night Hand Painted Canvas · More Info
  • olldroo
    11 years ago
    I hate open shelving in kitchens because of the grimy dust it attracts. What about painting the alcove a feature colour and adding a whiteboard for messages, reminders, recipes, etc. A blackboard would work also but I don't like the chalkdust. If you haven't guesed, I don't like housework!!
  • PRO
    Anish Motwani Associates
    11 years ago
    hello

floating shelves is a gr8 idea.
    you can have pictures/artefacts/paintings/ photos etc on it to make it look good
    or or

have a nice big mural there like a Buddha statue or horse etc

regards
  • PRO
    WineRacks
    11 years ago
    That definitely would be a nice space for wine racks if you happen to enjoy wine. Our standard wine racks are 12 3/8 so they would fit in there nicely. You could then hang a picture above the racks
  • michalin
    11 years ago
    You can turn this wall into 'family wall' and put big pics of the family members. Also you can put some shelfs to storage somethings on them ir a little table close to the wall for decoration
  • PRO
    Interiors International, Inc.
    11 years ago
    Darzys idea of shelves is what I would do if it were in my house.
  • Kate
    11 years ago
    if you prefer clean and simple, I would hang a large piece of artwork - something punchy - abstract probably - and call it a day :)
  • PRO
    R J Hoppe Inc
    11 years ago
    Keep the circulation around your island in mind, it seams that the space may be tight in the picture. Having said that, skys the limit. Custom bookcase, wine storage, custom console table. Mimic your kitchen cabinets into the niche for an integrated look. Leave an open area and highlight art work with low voltage halogen down lights.
  • PRO
    Sharer Design Group LLC
    11 years ago
    A custom wine center would work great in that spot. Doing wine storage cabinetry and glass upper cabinet doors would really dress that spot up. You could do a nice contrasting cabinet color to go with the dark stained island and maybe some seeded glass uppers.
  • PRO
    Brickwood Builders, Inc.
    11 years ago
    A baker's rack would look nice.
  • housemamma
    11 years ago
    We don't drink alcohol in my house, so I would put up a shelf to hold flavored teas and coffee next to a Keurig machine. My daughter is 16 and her friends head straight to the Keurig when they visit. Put out cute cups and plates, cookies/snacks in glass jars.
  • PRO
    Boost Graphics LLC.
    11 years ago
    A modern mural might add just the right touch, www.boostgfx.com I would love to help.
  • PRO
    Linda
    11 years ago
    In my house, it would be a tough choice between a custom wine rack and a built in bookcase.
  • zenhome
    11 years ago
    Like one of the ideas above of keeping it clean and simple. A great piece of artwork is all you really need and maybe a tall vase in the corner.
  • Mena
    11 years ago
    Maybe a granite slab going across with a big picture on wall.A recess light or spot light would be great
  • PRO
    elise black art & design
    11 years ago
    As an artist and designer, I like the idea of a console table with a piece of art above it. I would visit flea markets and find some sort of material such as an old door or something else that could be cut down (I think it's okay for it to extend out from the alcove an inch or two...and I would find some sort of interesting base to use.....It could really be a cool conversation piece if you are somewhat handy! If you are interested in some dimensional wall-hung art, check out my profile!
    - Elise Black
  • Brenda Shelton
    5 years ago

How about a wheeled wine cart?

• Brenda Shelton
    5 years ago

P.S. one of the old fashioned kind with a handle and large spoke wheels on one end and small spoke wheels on the other.

Brenda Shelton

• sheilaskb
    5 years ago

I do not know how your kitchen is arranged, but this size space would be great for a pantry.

• PRO
    Brickwood Builders, Inc.
    5 years ago

This is an oldie that was posted back in 2012.

• shivece
    5 years ago
    How about a pie safe in a bright color, maybe with some art on top?
  • lshack17
    5 years ago
    Post is from 2012