mrsshayne_gw

Anyone NOT like onyx showers?

MrsShayne

I'm getting ready to redo my master bath. I already bought shower tile for the walls. I just assumed I would get matching shower tile for the shower floor but then my contractor mentioned getting an onyx shower base. I didn't know you could order just the base so I never thought I would use it. I'm getting quotes around $600 for the onyx base. Contractor says tile shower floor will be about $600-$800 more. Although cost is only about a 25% factor, I just don't know if I like the looks of onyx. I feel like its superior in the sense of not having to work about grout on the shower floor but grout doesn't really bother me...

Does anyone love or dislike onyx or reg tile floors in showers? Please share any thoughts or comments.

I'm doing dark charcoal tile in the bathroom and I found the same little matching tiles for the shower base... If I go with onyx the only color I like comes in gloss (no matte) so I'm wondering if it will work...

This first pic shows my tile floor and you can see the onyx color is pretty close. I'm wondering if it will clash though. I don't want lighter because the lighter clashed with my shower wall tile.

• MAdkins

Nancy in Mich: Transolid would need to be a custom size and I'll get a quote once I hear what they have to say about yellowing. My local Swanstone dealer said that they have had a lot of problems with the quality of the Swanstone solid white shower pans and will no longer sell them because of so many call backs. I visited Grifform where I got the Corian quote. A custom Corian pan is just under $2k. I may have to reconsider it. I think solid white may be more expensive though.

• Nancy in Mich

I have not heard that Transolid does the custom sizes. Ask about that when you have a chance. Grifform may be your best bet. Joseph Corlett LCC, a pro on this page, swears by Corian. He would know if they have yellowing, since he does repairs on solid surfaces, and he recommends them all the time. I would have gone with Grifform if I had not found the Transold pan that is 37.75" x 63". I really do not have room for any wider a pan, we stole almost a foot from the adjoining bedroom to get this one in there.

Tim Allen

These are a few of my recent remodels using the Onyx Systems. I have yet to have a complaint from anyone about them. They look amazing and you can customize them to suit you.

Joseph Corlett, LLC

" A custom Corian pan is just under $2k."

Context is critical here. You're paying Grifform for doing nearly all the labor your tile man would do. To compare apples to apples, you must remember that the Corian pan is virtually dropped in on a level floor and is instantly leak proof, may be 20 minutes. Your tile guy has to waterproof, build a mud bed, set tile, and grout. If he isn't charging you 2 large for that, he's the wrong guy. Plus there is the cost of his materials and that fact that you'll have grout lines to clean and maintain when he's through.

• unser

I’ve been told by several suppliers that they no longer work with Corian (even though they have it in their showroom!). I’m having a really hard time finding someone local with experience creating a custom solid surface shower. I’m jealous of you Houzzers who have had it done.

• MAdkins

Joe: Yes, I'm saving in labor but I already calculated that into my budget and will do my best to stay within that budget and still have good quality products. I guess the Onyx Collection was too good to be true; a custom shower pan for $1,000. I'm comparing several options before deciding and will report back to you all.

unser: I tried to get a quote from a local Corian dealer but they never completed the quote. The Corian Fabricator is 2 hours away so at least I could pick up the unit and avoid shipping. I did find several manufactured marble producers around the country: google custom shower pan manufacturers.

• MAdkins

Tim Allen: Thanks for the great pics. It's good for other Houzzers to get your perspective since you work with Onyx every day!

• MAdkins

Joe: Is Corian in white known to yellow? Would you choose a Corian pan over manufactured marble?

Joseph Corlett, LLC

" Is Corian in white known to yellow?"

No.

" Would you choose a Corian pan over manufactured marble?"

Absolutely. A Corian pan is the best you can get.

• beaniebakes

MAdkins.... sorry for taking so long to reply. I'm currently having a small guest bathroom completed and need to take a break from construction (and writing checks!), so I postponed the appointment with Kohler for the master bath re-do. I don't expect to begun the project for another two to three months. The Kohler contractor has been texting me to reschedule. The project is more than just installing a shower in a former tub space; it's a total gut and includes elements that don't require Kohler products so I'm still on the fence about meeting with them.

I'll probably wind up having my contractor install Choreograph with an acrylic shower pan...but not necessarily Kohler's. MTI Baths makes beautiful acrylic pans in the same colors as Kohler (they both use acrylic manufactured by Lucite) and of higher quality (much heavier) with options for placement of flanges, threshold, etc. They even offer pans with radiant heat as an option, but the price is commensurately higher... close to Corian. Ever since I read Joseph Corlett's posts about Corian, I've searched for a local fabricator who makes shower pans but haven't been successful.

Just to add more information to the mix, last year I received a quote from Teixeira Soapstone in New Jersey for a custom 42 x 36 soapstone shower pan. The quote was $1,395 plus $385.00 shipping. I thought the price was reasonable, but it's a very specific aesthetic that won't work in most bathrooms.

Good luck with your project. I can't wait to see the results.

• MAdkins

Beaniebakes: Thanks for the update. I am getting an MTI shower pan quote so thanks for that additional information!! I visited a local granite/quartz yard today (for vanity tops) and mentioned my shower pan need. Turns out they have an in-house craftsman who fabricates Corian pans. How lucky was that! Good to know about Teixeira. I'll report back on my progress once I get the new quotes.

• beaniebakes

MAdkins... congratulations on finding a source for CorIan. Re: the MTI pan, get a quote for the optional pre-leveled foam base. It should run around $160-200 and seems to be worth the added cost. I think it’s only available in the Designer and Boutique lines.

https://info.mtibaths.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/tile-flange-pre-leveled-foam-base.pdf

• MAdkins

Thanks for the tip, beaniebakes!!!

• Kris S

For MAdkins, I'm glad you discovered the facts about Onyx Collection before you committed. The Onyx Collection replacement warranty is useless for us. The tile walls would have to be destroyed to get to the shower pan/ceiling panel and, if we were to do that, we certainly wouldn't replace it with the same material that Onyx Collection admits discolors/yellows only after being called out on it! Onyx Collection definitely keeps that info on the down low. I'd like to think I helped you and Amy make a better decision than we were able to with the information available 3 years ago. P.S. We have a 15-yr old corian sink that is as white as the day it was installed.

• MAdkins

Kris S: Yes, your post led me ask Onyx about the yellowing. I received incorrect info from the first person so I asked someone else for confirmation. That's when they fessed up about the yellowing. Yes, it's upsetting that they weren't forthcoming with the information in the first place. I agree; who would tear out their walls to get a replacement for a discolored pan with another that will just do the same. The Onyx Warranty rep suggested I choose one of their lovely dark colors. Ugh. I just stopped communicating with them at that point. So thank you, Kris S, for sharing your experience. It certainly saved me a lot of money and grief in the long run. Good to know about the still-white Corian sink as my top two options are a Corian pan or an MTI SculptureStone base. I'm awaiting quotes!!! I had to reorder my Kohler Choreograph walls (error by store Rep) and they are now expected to arrive MID MARCH. Grrrrr. I guess that gives me plenty of time to get the prep work done!

• 1903condodweller

Hi everyone. As I said before, I'm going with the Onyx white subway tile and matching white pan. I read everything here and decided that I was going to trust the contractors here who haven't had a problem, because I really want the all white bathroom. It's a little depressing to have these two comments come into my inbox on the very day it was installed! I hope that the fact that there is no window in my bathroom might deter any yellowing.

It looks gorgeous and I am so excited. Keep your fingers crossed. I'll keep everyone posted.

• MAdkins

It's lovely 1903!

• 1903condodweller

Thanks @MAdkins! I was lucky to have a fantastic contractor, Rob Brugnone in Saint Louis, who did the entire project in 9 days, hauling out cultured marble, a Jacuzzi tub, and a huge vanity taking up most of the room! Onyx white glossy subway tile, pan, niche, and grab bars. (Polished nickel fixtures and encaustic tile floor.) May the Onyx stay bright white over time!

• MAdkins

@1903condodweller, I'm sure you saw the pics and response from @Tim Allen earlier in this thread. He's a pro and has had no problems with the Onyx Collection white color installs. I hope it stays white for you as well!!!

• MAdkins

Corian Shower Fabricators: For those looking for a Corian shower pan fabricator and find Grifform.com too pricey, this is what I have found. Palmettosurfacing.com is in Charleston, SC and ships. They seem to have a good product. They make a take tile-ready shower base and use it as their base for their Corian shower pans. Shipping a pan across the country was just $300. For those in Southern California, OliveMill.com seems to be a great choice; they don't ship. The owner, Andy Graves has many Corian fabrication videos on YouTube https://www.youtube.com/user/olivemill/videosLocally 

Locally, I asked at all of the marble/granite yards and found one that does Corian! Keystone Granite (https://granitecountertopsoregon.com) which is the company I will use. I don't know if they will ship. I'll ask when I put down my deposit.

So, here are some price estimates for my 38" x 42" Corian shower pan:

Grifform: $2,000 (ships from Oregon)

Palmetto Surfacing: $1225 (ships from South Carolina)

Olive Mill: $1800 (So. Cal, doesn't ship)

Keystone Granite: $1,050 including installation (Willamette Valley, OR; shipping unknown)

I am so glad to finally be finished with this research: For those not familiar with what to ask of your fabricator, here's my short list (I'm just a homeowner, so others feel free to chime in). Do you have a thermoforming machine in-house? Do you use 1/2" Corian? Is the pan presloped? What is the supportive base under the corian? How tall is the tile flange? How tall / wide is the curb? What is the preferred installation method? I was able to talk with the manager of Keystone to get all of these questions answered to my satisfaction. She also showed pictures of her pan. I love that my local fabricator will customize the size of the lip that my walls will sit on so the walls are flush with the visible sides of the pan; happy dance!!

• beaniebakes

Wow. Thanks so much MAdkins for such useful information on Corian.

• MAdkins

MTI custom pans: I forgot to mention MTI in Georgia. https://mtibaths.com/product/universal-custom-shower-base/

They create custom pans only in their SculptureStone product. For a 38" x 42" pan it was $3700 (gasp!). They do make lovely high end products. MTI does make acrylic pans but they don't have custom sizes. I didn't pursue this option since they didn't have my size.

https://mtibaths.com/products/shower-bases/basics-shower-bases/

• kplum

Slightly different, but I thought I'd share that we are choosing Onyx for our bathroom vanities. I realize I'm now talking vanities instead of showers, but the expanse is similar. One top will be about 80" and one top will be about 70". I greatly dislike seams/grout lines. I find that grout lines in particular hold mold, etc. and are harder to clean (even when "waterproofed"). I like that Onyx will have fewer lines. In my color research with Onyx, I, too, had an initial concern regarding yellowing.

I saw the samples at Lowes, the samples at another co, and the samples sent to my home. The samples at Lowes did seem more yellowed. The general sales reps I spoke to about this said that they did not receive complaints from customers regarding yellowing, and that seems to be the base of their knowledge, rather than hearing directly from Onyx regarding any change in color over time. I also realized that the samples at Lowes are touched CONSTANTLY. Between constant handling, lack of sample cleaning, and the pieces rubbing against one another, I'm honestly not surprised that they are more yellowed than anything I've seen. Another note, when speaking to the rep at the other co that carried Onyx, she suggested that I order samples right before my final decision, in case the color is at all altered by Onyx. She said there can be (ever so) slight variances with what they put a while back, to now. I thought that was a good tip, just in case.

In the end, I truly do not know another company that can beat the Onyx warranty. Hearing from a couple of their customers sealed the deal for me. In my research thus far, I have yet to hear of Onyx trying to weasel their way out of following through. Onyx seems to be a class act co.

• MAdkins

@kplum, thank you for sharing. That's what these threads are all about! Please post pictures when you are done.

For anyone following my bathroom saga, you'll know that I hired a contractor to find a Kohler Choreograph wall installer. Well, the result was crazy expensive quotes because no subcontractors wanted to install it; They said it had a reputation of easily chipping and broke easily. So, I priced out Corian for the alcove shower and tub walls. The Corian price was much more reasonable than I expected and it included installation by the fabricator so it was actually cheaper than doing a custom Corian base with Kohler Choreograph walls (again, because of the high Kohler Choreograph wall installation cost). The walls and pan will be 1/2" Corian with coved corners. So, not only am I staying within my budget for both bathrooms, I will have a much better quality showers using Corian.

• unser

Congratulations! I’ve just about given up my quest for a solid surface shower. Even the Corian folks can’t refer me to a local contractor who actually will do it. ??‍♀️Now I’m hopeful the Schluter system is all it promises . . .

• MAdkins

@unser I feel your pain. I stumbled upon a fabricator at one of the local stone yards. Your comment shows that tile is still king in many parts of the country.

• beaniebakes

@unser.... I had a similar experience with Corian. Even more frustrating is that they offer remade shower pans outside the U.S. Various styles are shown in the link below. I contacted Corian directly to inquire about availability and was told they’re not sold here.

https://www.archiproducts.com/en/products/shower-trays/material_corian

Harris McClain Kitchen & Bath

I sell the Onyx Collection product all the time. Its easy to clean and quick for install. All our clients love it! They have great customer service and stand behind their product if any issues come up. its a life time warranty!

Harris McClain Kitchen & Bath

Kplum Onyx orders all ship with a plastic film over the product to protect it from scratching in shipping. This needs to be removed shortly after delivery. The material is still trying to cure and so if it sits covered up the product can not breath to cure correctly. It will cause the product to slightly yellow. So plan on installing this shortly after delivery. I know this because we had a client back out on use for a bathroom shower install so after a year of it sitting in our storage trailer we decided to put it on display in our showroom. Before I realized it had changed color the guys already had it fully installed and were not going to remove it to replace it. So the yellowing your seeing is because of this. Non of our other showers that we have installed in the past have done this because they have not sat around covered up.

• Wendy

.I really thought I was having a huge problem with my shower pan (we have dove gray ), Everything was getting discolored (dark grey); and I clean it constantly with dawn dishwashing soap so I had no idea what was going on with the discoloration or the reason. The man I spoke to gave me a great suggestion of trying kaboom foaming cleanser and CLR (alternatively). We kept. alternating both of them and after five or six treatments my shower looks brand new I am so relieved I really love this product even though I have no idea how soap could build up. I am just super relieved that my shower looks brand new once again with this simple fix I really thought I would be calling him back to complain but thankfully I don’t have to, it really is an easy product to maintain. So much better than tile and grout,

• robinhf9

Tim Allen... Nice Work! I see you have some of those frosted block windows. I have been following this thread because we are remodeling our tiny bathroom (8 x 5.25) in June (not diy) and am researching now. We currently do not have a window in our shower, but I thought of perhaps adding a small window like you show. Is that a gigantic extra cost?

• robinhf9

Also, is anyone in this area in the Boston area? Do you have contractors you could recommend to remodel a 5.25 x 8 bathroom? It is tiny with a door, a water radiator that can't move, and a window. The evil plan is to gut it and redo everything. It is an old house (1932) with plaster and horsehair walls... so new drywall and whatever that entails. The tile is beautiful, but original, so old, cracked, discolored, and missing pieces. So all new. We are looking to do the work in early June. We had an Onyx Rep come out, but he wouldn't give a free quote and wanted us to commit to hiring his company... so... no.

• kplum

Please excuse the yellow lighting. It’s 6pm in winter but I was too excited to wait until good daylight to take a pic. Our Onyx countertops are in! We did white sink and gloss Icicle countertop with backsplash. More pics to come, but thus far, we are VERY happy with Onyx and the ordering process.

• Mary Beth

Very nice. Can't wait to see more!

• Steven g Heinecke

I used to sell Onyx Products for a Home Depot Contract Installer and went on to be a Project Manager for the same nationwide firm.

My experience with Onyx has been 100% favorable in all regards. They do honor their Lifetime Warranty and they bend over backwards to keep their customers Satisfied.

For what it's worth, I have never heard of Onyx Products discoloring, not even the whites. However, I would not doubt anyone who claims to have seen or experienced yellowing in environments exposed to a lot of light.

Compared to the other products I used to sell, Onyx was the most versatile in terms of standard sizes and configurations and custom sizes. They do have a full line of accessories and those shower pans are darned near indestructible.

NO, I don't work for Onyx and I no longer sell bathroom remodels,, I am retired and stumbled on this site as a result of planning my own Bathroom remodels now.

Best of luck!

jane

Robin - Did you ever find someone to do your bathroom? I also live in the Boston area and am looking for a bathroom contractor. Thanks !

• Kristen Michele

Am pricing out solid surface walls and pan for my shower. Found a local fabricator for the Corian pan. Price I was verbally quoted was $49/square foot for walls, and about 3k for a custom pan (all including installation). My shower is 3'wx5'lx8'h, so that's about $4k for the walls, plus $3k for the custom pan. NOPE. The fabricator suggested I find a pre-made pan, and said that the walls can be mounted on top of that. I'm still looking at the (MUCH cheaper) Swan products at Lowe's but I'm concerned about the thickness of the panels, compared to the thicker Corian.

• unser

I was unable to find a local contractor, that I trusted, to build me a solid surface shower of any type. I went into the game Thinking Corian. I would have “settled” for Onyx or Swan but, around my area, just couldn’t make it happen. I’m jealous of your options! Good luck! Hopefully this will be your “forever” shower. 😉

• ntguru

Home owners and (especially) bathroom contractors, have you had any experience with white Onyx in matte (versus the default glossy), and is that for shower walls, pan, or vanity counters? The glossy Onyx looks a little cheesy/downmarket to my eye, but I'm concerned about matte's durability. We're contemplating white matte onyx for shower walls and pan, plus vanity. This is a fairly modern bath remodel (fully floating vanity and linen cabinets, etc).

• Mics

@ntguru I'm have the same thoughts! I want matte finish in my shower but wondering about durability, cleanability, etc.

If anyone has experience, please let us know!

• Nancy Dressel

We have a Kohler cast iron shower pan in light gray. It's beautiful and does not discolor. Easy to clean too. They have several sizes and colors.

• Natalie Bosworth Hansen

Has anyone here gone with the Matte? I’m looking at Glacier in either matte or gloss for my walk in shower.

• Chad Grimes

I work for a company in New Bern, NC that installs Onyx, Although most everyone chooses gloss, we have not had any issues with the matt finish. According to the Onyx website there is no difference in durability, only in appearance.

• thequadsqueen

Has anyone done a mix of Onyx walls with a Corian shower pan? Wondering if the respective contractors will do it since they all want to sell whole packages.

also wondering whether they will bond well with each other. The local Corian fabricator just uses clear silicone on the inside corners and says that won’t yellow. Is that correct? I’ve definitely had clear silicone discolor before in the kitchen...

• thequadsqueen

for LA folks, Feese Wares does Corian showers http://feesewaresurfaces.com/. Only took 6 months to find that out lol. Their quote was just below $9k for a 57” shower, including shower pan.

• chellefnp

I'm planning for a master bath remodel in the next few months and at this point, I am leaning towards using the Onyx collection as well. I liked their selection of custom pan layouts, since I'm planning to have a three sided enclosure with a single door to reduce the amount of glass I have to clean. They have a pan with just the right layout.

I'm also interested in the question of glossy vs matte finish--any opinions here? What is interesting to me is that the pure white solid color is more expensive than one of the "granite" appearing ones. I'm not opposed to a colored choice but just want to make sure I don't have too many patterns going on in the bathroom. I worked with my local Lowe's guy to get a rough price quote, and he ordered me a set of free samples. I was impressed with his knowledge of the product and their ordering process. The samples should arrive in the next few days, so hopefully I will get a better idea of what might work well from a color standpoint.

• Jeremy Jarmer

We absolutely love our onyx shower! It was so much easier to install than tile. plus, we were able to get matching countertops with sinks. It’s the only way to go, in my opinion.

• ntguru

chellefnp, in my opinion, the only Onyx options that work (especially in glossy) are those in the solid white realm. For example, the darker grey with flecks reminds me of old 60/70's linoleum flooring and that is exacerbated in the glossy version. The larger the expanse, the more this applies.

• ntguru

Hi Jeremy, congrats on the new bathroom! Can you give an idea of how big your shower and countertops are? Can you upload any pictures?

My Mom has a dark grey Onyx shower pan and dove grey Onyx shower walls. She uses a plastic shower mat that has suction cups on the bottom to anchor it to the shower pan, which she used to habitually leave in place. About 6 months after her Onyx shower had been installed, I lifted the mat and discovered that the shower pan had discolored (faded to paler color) in perfect conformation to the shower mat. Each suction cup clearly distinguishable as slightly darker spots in the faded area where the mat had been. I assumed it was soap scum, but it was impossible to scrape off with a fingernail, and no cleanser (including Kaboom and CLR) would remove It. We left the mat off the shower pan for a week and gradually the faded area returned to its original color. This happened twice over a one year period, so now she hangs the mat after every shower which prevents the discoloration from recurring. Obviously the Onyx material is reacting so something when covered by plastic over time. Oxidation? Anoxidation? Something in the plastic itself? No idea. But Onyx definitely discolors in certain conditions. Still, it’s a beautiful solid surface material, easy to clean and keeps its gleam with no special products needed.