eknapp

Help with artwork please!

eknapp
We recently redid our family room. We removed a nonworking, basic fireplace and wall of built-in bookshelves (all basic, builder-grade). We replaced it with a more contemporary stone fireplace, custom built-ins and new furniture. There is grasscloth wallpaper on the walls above the cabinets, and also in the inserts of the cabinet doors. The room colors are all very neutral, with the only color being the floral chair. There isn't much light in this room. The decorator we used keeps suggesting paintings that "match" the chair, and they blend too well and seem boring. I'm looking for something with a pop of color, and something interesting--pieces that I would like on their own, not just because they "match". We have a collage of photo frames picked out (not yet hung) for the wall above the couch. This is our family room, and is open to our kitchen. Thanks for the help!

• eknapp
    Oh--and I don't need anything for the wall to the left--we actually have doors there now
  • judianna20
    You have a lot of Greek Key going on here (which I love), but one item in your room just doesn't seem to hold its own against such a strong influence: your glass lamp on the end table.

I would love to see anything with gold on that grass cloth. Something like this artwork?
    Purple Haze · More Info

Art work help needed desperately

I'd go with a tall upholstered headboard in a great patterned fabric. You can make one yourself and it isn't very hard or expensive. Get 1/2" or 1/4" plywood from your nearest home improvement store. Most of them will even cut it to your desired dimensions. Then cover it in foam (you can even use that mattress topper foam), then batting, then your fabric. You can even finish the edges with nailhead trim which looks great and adds sparkle. And voila! Art and functional headboard all at once! Good luck!

need help in finding past article about remodeling a home into an art gallery and art schooll

Hey Linda, this may be a long shot but is this by chance the article you were looking for? https://www.houzz.com/magazine/17-ways-to-bring-the-gallery-look-home-stsetivw-vs~287227

ART: ART FOR ART'S SAKE OR DECOR?

Hi tooky58, We believe that a well appointed home has both. Original art can have emotional meaning or investment value, but inexpensive quality pieces, such as museum-quality gallery-wrapped canvases can add another dimension while being very affordable. This is particularly helpful in rooms or spaces where there is less emphasis such as a hallway, bathroom or guestroom. But, canvas art is suitable for prominent placement as well. For example: Cheers and good luck on your project!

Art Work and Sectional Help Please

I don’t like staggered art work and as soothing as the colors are IMO this looks like a staged room in a store maybe try adding something with a touch of yellow anything to get away from all the matchy matchy an arc lamp really won’t work because you have no where for it to sit in the corner some nice end tables and lamps would be good
  • eknapp
    We re-did the room next to it as well, trying to keep the colors similar so we could bring the chairs from the desk area as more seating to the family room when needed. The chair fabric was to bring some color/interest to the room. The lamp was an afterthought--any other lamp suggestions are welcomed! Here is the other room
  • Rebecca Jordan
    The colors are great. You can add a little pop to the room through use of a strong color such as orange or crimson in the use of a small vase or accent pillows. Shirley Novak has great prints of poppies that could add a subtle splash of color without going overboard.
    Interiors International, Inc.
    Good grief why do "decorators" say such stupid things. Your home is not a showroom. Good art does not have to match the sofa. Trust me if I had an original Picasso I would hang it in that room so fast it would make your decorators eyes spin. Art is personal. Find a piece that speaks to you. That you can say I love that. Then you will have a piece for life because you will never get tired of it.
    GSI Studios
    3D Sculpture (Wall Mounted would work great) - look for work with (one) color, like 1940's Lipstick Red!
    GSI Studios
    If you mount the sculpture each side (or even one side) of the fireplace - PLEASE get proper lighting for it. That does NOT mean "pot lights"!
  • rwagenaar
    attaching sample pics - I think red maybe what you are looking for or you can play it save with blues, whites and grays. And I would definitely hang art on the walls with the sliding doors - even if it would end up behind the doors when they are open. And the bolsters need to go back to their own sofas.
  • Theresa
    Are you wanting to keep with the asian influence? You could take some of the fabric and create a custom tryptich. Like seen here: http://www.etsy.com/listing/72771745/fabric-wall-art-duck-egg-blue-aqua-blue or find a large canvas with a pop of red or yellow with the blue and browns.
  • rwagenaar
    more :)
  • rwagenaar
    Last ones - I would also add some silk down filled toss cushions in blue/grey to the sofa's and maybe some red ones if you choose to go with the red on the walls. And some off white sculptures/vases on top of the built-ins.
    Good luck.
    ps - edit - I agree with the comment on the pot light or whatever is trowing the light and highlighting the speaker. Also 2 more table/floor lamps would add to the ambiance.
    Since the homeowner has not mentioned owning an original Picasso to hang in this room, the assumption is that there is no Picasso available. Therefore we designers, stupid or brilliant, look for color inspiration from the room so that there will be no jarring discord between the room and the art.
    Interiors Int'l's comment brought to mind, though, that a Picasso reproduction might well work in the room, so below you'll find a Picasso. Maybe Interiors Int'l thinks that ASID stands for Association of Stupid Interior Designers! For those of you who may not know, it actually stands for American Socieity of Interior Designers.
    Portraits Imaginaires I · More Info
    Monique Jacqueline Design
    Interior International, Inc. is soooo right! Your art needs to speak to you, art is personal, it needs to make heart dance, warm your heart! Again, there is no right or wrong, BUT the one thing that I would think about is having a lighter back drop. Pops of color, as Rebecca Jordan mentioned could be stunning as well. Regardless of the room having a lot of natural light, do you have adjustable spots that will highlight the fireplace mantel area? This will allow you to bring in basically anything that "warms your heart"!
    Cheers!
    m.
  • decoenthusiaste
    Sculpture or lamps - something tall on either side side of the FP. Would like your lamp to have more body to it so it will stand up to the FP and dark wood. Was looking for the Greek key to show up on the built-in cabinetry. Maybe a museum reproduction of this guy would look good on one side and a female friend on the other, if you don't mind nudity.
    The listening Room · More Info
  • ideahuntress
    Hi
    Your room is gorgeous. Love all that is going on.

I think for your art work I would pick something in keeping with your room i.e. the stone, the leather and the grasscloth. I think something abstract would work best and with texture like an oil painting . The colours I would go for would involve gold , the duck egg blue thats in your floral seat and then put with it a real strong colour that goes with both. Although the room is gorgeous it does need some colour.
    As for the lamp I like the base so maybe a change of lampshade or if you do consider changing it I would go for something in gold with strong linear lines to match in with your fret work .
  • eknapp
    Thanks for the input! Here are some that I like, but I can't decide if the brighter ones are too bold/colorful for the room.
  • eknapp
    These are a little mellower...
  • eknapp
    Here are two that we found at the High Point market that we loved, but the decorator changed the colors and it lost all its pop...
    The pair with blue in them are lovely and if properly lighted, I think they'd look great in your room. Did you bring them home to try them?
  • Nancy Hehmann
    I like the bright colors of the first artist. It reminds me of artwork from an up and coming artist I saw at an art show on a cruise once.
    Park West Galleries represents many well known artists too and if you get a limited edition print they sometimes go up in value. Another place to look is Etsy.com which as a variety of artwork including photography and paintings. Many of the shop owners can customize sizes or print the photography on different types of media. You can easily contact the shop owners too! I have a shop, nancyhehmann. If You are doing a collage you might want a particular theme such as Hawaii, Coastal or a city you love such as Paris, Venice or Charleston SC. I find photography very uplifting because of its realism and in an instant your mind can travel to wherever you dream to be!
  • eknapp
    They got lost on that wall (we only had a small sample, not the full size). We do have spotlights for those areas. I was hoping for more color pop than just the flowers in the foreground
  • ideahuntress
    Hi again

I do like your pictures but I don't think they go with the theme of your room. In my opinion they aren't strong enough colour wise or theme wise. Also you need to incorporate duck egg blue in them to bring the seat colour into the scheme. I think the ones you had bought before you did the room are along the right lines in the intensity of colour. Even if you have a look at all.posters.com to give you a cheap option that you can try and if they don't suit you haven't spent much money and if they do suit you can frame them. If I get a chance later and if you like I can have a look for examples of what I'm talking about .
  • eknapp
    I would love examples. Here are a couple of pairings that I like. I'm feeling a little overwhelmed searching these sites!
    GSI Studios
    Get yourself out to some galleries. And Art Museums. See some really fine Fine Arts. Educate yourself. See what you like and what you don't like. Don't just think about what will "work" or "fit" in your house. Be objective. Don't just take all the examples shown to you here. It is your house. YOU have to live there. Don't be afraid. Art is for everyone. Some Museums have lending libraries. Most have stores with reproductions that you can "try" out at home. Get out there and DO it. Don't expect other people who have never experienced your room(s), and don't know your and your tastes to give you all the answers. We can suggest and propose - but ultimately you have to decide and YOU have to LIVE with it. Go. See. Try. But I still say sculptural pieces will work better in that spaces that you have. And, I always told my Interior Design Students this, "Without light there is no architecture." Whatever you choose, find the way to light it properly, if that means consulting a professional Lighting Designer.
    GSI Studios
    ONE further comment: reputable galleries understand when someone is making a purchase that they are really making an assumption that it is going to "work" in their space. They will usually consider taking back a painting or sculpture, or print.. if you cannot deal with it once you get it home. Some will expect you to look at other options that they have. Hey. That's fair. But good dealers want happy clients too.
    Monique Jacqueline Design
    Hello!
    I agree with Carolyn Albert-Kincl Design, the pairing of the blue pieces that were found at High Point are beautiful. Sometimes it is difficult to tell from small snaps of the pieces. You might consider enlarging those photos that you have. The details will not be as detailed, but the colors should hold themselves. It might provide a better visual for decision making. I see the fireplace accenting these pieces!
    Cheers!
    m.
    Also about galleries, if you take in photos of your room, they will be very ready to assist you in selecting the right pieces. It's not a decision you need to make on your own. They should also be willing to send you home with some pieces, guaranteed by your credit card, for a day or two.
  • ideahuntress
    Hi

Here are a few ideas on pictures . On all I went with incorporating the duck egg blue to some extent and gold too . I gave examples from some painters I like i.e. van Gough , Degas then some abstract ones and finally because of your fret work I added some chinese flower ones. If nothing else it will show you want you don't like lol hope it helps
  • ideahuntress
    and here's the rest
  • eknapp
    We were able to rework the ones we liked from High Point to have more pop... Think we're going to go with these. Thanks for the advice!
  • anthip
    Those are very nice and I think they'd look great somewhere in that room... But, I love 3D art work and think those recessed walls are crying out for that.
    Monique Jacqueline Design
    Love it!
    Cheers!
    m.
  • kathleen MK
    Love those doors!! and agree with International Interiors and GSI-- go for Art that speaks to you.
    And those recessed walls do beg for something 3-D as anthip noted. Some big Raku vases with some tall branches or bamboo canes.
  • ideahuntress
    Yeah love the ones you have picked , should work very well ! Enjoy your lovely room :)
    Gabberts Design Studio
    I love the art that have the red, they would look great in your space. Beautiful room!
    SaCim Decor
    Hi Eknapp, the painting below is one that I painted recently called Birth of the Sun (120cmx120cm) and is valued at $450. I am an artist/designer in Phuket,Thailand and the painting is based on Buddhist foundations of shapes and colours. Please take a look at my other creations at www.sacimdecor.com
  • Nora
    Go to several galleries and first find out what kind of art you like, forget abouth where it has to hang.
    or stand.Forget abouth the color that needs to fit in. If necessary you can fit it in by changing a little bit of color somewhere in the room matching the painting like a wink.