Software
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_12625028

Help finish my princess' bedroom.

11 years ago
last modified: 11 years ago

Trying to finish my 2 yr old daughter's bedroom. Still confused on where to put the bed...

I need advice on what color to pick the curtains, a rug, what to put on the dresser and what to put on the walls. Also need to pick a light fixture.

The color on the wall is Robins Nest by BM. Her bedding is pink/coral/ivory.

Thank you!

Comments (51)

  • 11 years ago

    Thank you @decoenthusiaste. Don't you think curtain panels would look better than shades?

    Also what color to choose for the rug, any pictures you can show me?

    I really appreciate the ideas that you give to other houzzers. Thank you!

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    @drymades decoenthusiaste is a rockstar for sure :)

    What about adding a pretty little chandelier? Something not too age specific, but one that she can grow with and will fit in with the inevitable decor change that comes as they get older :)


    Crystal Leaf Chandelier · More Info


  • 11 years ago

    This is a cute look for a nursery. I love the rag rug.



  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    I would centre the crib on the wall that it's on and move the dresser/changing table opposite. Place the chair and a small table and lamp in corner by the window. Wouldn't use curtains due to the rad, but roman blinds. There are so many inspiration pictures of nurseries on Houzz. She's already two, so it won't be long before it's not a nursery but a little girl's room; therefore I would look at decorating in a way that will accommodate change in a year or two to suit a little girl's needs vs a baby.

    English country home · More Info

  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Your established color scheme is beautiful - Robins Egg and Pink. You can really pull the room together with fabrics, art, and window blinds using this palette for stuffed animals, bedding etc. My professional design services include online too:)
  • 11 years ago

    I didn't make clear that the arrangement would put the bed angled and free-standing out from the window corner, so you need room-darkening shades. I prefer romans, but you could add a valance. Your high short windows won't look as good with panels. Of course, after naps are no longer necessary, you can add cute curtains. As for a rug, I'd theme the room with pink flowers myself. Here are a couple of cute ones in pink and one in robin's egg blue.

    Surya Frontier Rug X-85-633TF · More Info


    Loloi Rugs Zoey Collection Pink and Green, 5'x7' · More Info

    There are lots to choose from.

    Plush Microfiber Polyester Piper PI-10 Pink Green Kid's Area Rug by Loloi · More Info



  • 11 years ago

    Very cute rugs. How big should be the rug?

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Maybe 5x7? Get the table first and then use painter's tape to tape out a nice area where both table and rocker feel well anchored and not like they might fall off of it.

  • 11 years ago

    Would these curtains look good in my daughters room?


  • 11 years ago

    If you had windows like the one shown with the curtain, but not with your short high ones. IMO, you'll be happier with blackout cordless roman shades in a pretty fabric. Your smaller windows will take less fabric, so you may be able to afford custom. If you're in love with the ruffles, consider adding a bedskirt to the crib.


    Bay Area green building and design: nursery non-VOC paint, mural, eco furniture · More Info
    Jack Harlie's Nursery · More Info
    Flatiron Loft · More Info


  • 11 years ago

    @decoenthusiaste

    I just received the rug https://www.houzz.com/products/loloi-piper-collection-rug-pink-and-green-5x7-prvw-vr~23639655

    I'm also waiting for the side table http://www.wayfair.com/Carolina-Accents-Chelsea-End-Table-CA14048-ENT1148.html

    I did order this ceiling lamp http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Eos-6-Light-Chrome-Ceiling-Lamp/7857215/product.html

    What do you think?

    I'm going to post pictures when I put everything together, so you can see how all turns out.

    I'm a fan of drapes, but if I go for shades, what kind of print should I look for? If plain color, should i go for off white or pink?

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Go for one of the colors in the rug and then add grosgrain ribbon in the other tone, and then do them like the Flatiron room. Maybe a pink shade and green ribbon trim. Don't buy any fabric until the rug and light come in. Those are the colors you'll have to work with. You don't want to keep adding too many different shades of pink. You might find that a green shade with pink ribbon would help keep the pinks in the same hue and under control. Like what you've ordered so far.

  • 11 years ago

    Inside mount or outside mount roman shade?

  • 11 years ago

    Depends on blackout or not. I think inside, if tightly fit, will be more light blocking.


  • 11 years ago

    @decoenthusiaste Now that I have your attention, would you mind taking a look at my bedroom dilemma? 'I'm sorry if I'm bothering you to much, but I love your quick solutions.

    https://www.houzz.com/discussions/my-master-bedroom-is-screaming-for-help-dsvw-vd~2845916

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Rug, side table and chandelier are here. I 'm not finished installing the crystals in the chandelier yet, it's such a pain... Chandelier is a lighter pink than the picture shown below.

    @decoenthusiaste How do you like the size of the rug? I'm not done with furniture arrangement, need advice where to put what...

    There are 3 pillows that are supposed to go in the wall, but where exactly?

  • 11 years ago

    This was my original thought. Try it and lets see.

  • 11 years ago

    I like your floor plan, but I'm not very happy with the bed near the windows... Hmm. I will give it a try though.

  • 11 years ago

    The crib is the focal point and so are the windows. They are the first place your eye goes when you enter the room. The only other wall to put it on, IMO, would be the one where I have the changing table. I placed it there because diapers, clothing, supplies, etc will be conveniently in the closet. The chair is located so that baby doesn't get distracted by seeing someone walk past the door when you're trying to get her down for a nap. Give it a try, put a rolled up towel in the crib to play the baby's role and live with it for a couple of days to see how it works. This layout allows you to pick baby up and back right into the rocker to sit down. All the stinky activity takes place across the room from sleep and feeding.


  • 11 years ago

    What do you think? It looks better to me. The baby is not that baby anymore. She's 2 1/2 years old. We don't use the dresser for diaper change anymore and the rocker use it occasionally, when she's sick and needs me in the room...

    I will see how she reacts to the new location when she tries to fall asleep.



  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    The rug looks either bigger than needed or not in the right place. What do you think?

    Now that we have all the colors, what color will look best on the shades/ grosgrain ribbon?

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    the crib in front of the heater might not be safe if a little hand can reach back and touch it when it is lit. also the strings from the blinds are dangerous. i would not put the crib there. rather the crib where the rocking chair is and the chair under the window. i like the rug. just center it to the room. once you get some pics on the walls things will change.


  • PRO
    11 years ago

    this room needs a little white chandelier!


  • 11 years ago

    @flair lighting I just got the chandelier, it's pink. I'm getting roman shades without strings so that's not a problem. The heater is what bothers me. Not because she will burn her hand, but because she might feel hotter there than somewhere else in the room.

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    ok well go with your gut. i say it would be cute to see the rocker under the windows.


  • 11 years ago

    @flair lighting I will definitely try the rocker under the windows. I might live with this setting for a couple of days, then try your idea.

  • 11 years ago

    I love the way this looks, but might pull the area rug so the corner goes exactly under the center of the crib front. Why don't you put a rad cover over that heating unit? If would make a cute bench. Since she's older, put the bed right or left of the windows. Soon you'll be looking for a junior bed or converting this one if it converts, and then it will probably go right of the windows. That will protect little hands and give you a surface to set things on when not in use.


    Prust Avenue · More Info


  • 11 years ago

    I definitely need a rad cover.

    Changed the furniture again. Thoughts?


  • PRO
    11 years ago

    much better, and you can have the covers made and finished close to what the furniture is. im thinking you may want a bit larger more sturdy end table....


  • PRO
    11 years ago

    what do you think about the rug. i wonder if its too pink?


  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    It is a little too pink I know and the side table it's not the right shape for this room. But I choose it because it looked the same vanilla color as the furniture. Anyway, I have to live and deal with my own mistakes.

    The bed looked better at the window as @decoenthusiaste suggests. But this other options gives more space to the room. Next option I will try switching the bed with the dresser.

  • 11 years ago

    You can probably return the rug. I thought the lightest pink flowers would carry it but maybe not. The bed by the door blocks up the entire view into the room. If it is by the closet doors, she can probably keep entertained with her own reflection and you can see her from outside the door. If you keep the chair in the window corner you can build a shelf rad cover and ditch the table. Get a floor lamp for that spot instead. I'd put the chest right of the window and use the big open wall for a low cubby toy storage with baskets.


  • 11 years ago

    I will try to return the rug, it's beautiful but maybe not for my room. I am probably going to go with your last option @decoenthusiaste, as I was also thinking about a toy storage in this room. I love you and your enthusiasm and I appreciate your help these days!

  • 11 years ago

    You're certainly welcome!

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    oh deco, the round rug fantastic idea!


  • 11 years ago
    Find some artwork with both the lighter pink and teal in it. You can find some really great (and inexpensive) prints on etsy that could frame yourself. Here's an example : https://www.etsy.com/listing/130431192/girls-room-decor-photography-ferris?ref=related-6

    Or do you like this? http://www.olliella.com/oh-the-sights-you-will-see-framed-print

    Search pinterest and etsy for styles you like.
  • 11 years ago

    To Whispar Design Suggesting a chandelier that costs $302 is just too much for a child's room.

  • 11 years ago

    I think the rug is beautiful, too. If you want to keep it, you might try finding a few child-useful objects (like a lined basket or lamp shade or pictures) with that same lovely bright pink. Your current rug might make the baby-to-little girls transition easier. Little girls often love bright colors. Either way it will be lovely. Its a great room.


  • PRO
    11 years ago

    she has a chandelier already.


  • PRO
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    http://www.mbzinteriors.com I did a young lady's bedroom in same color scheme. I took an old brass chandy and painted it pink. See more on my website and I offer E-Design too! Would love to work with you.

  • 11 years ago
    What about angling the crib with the windows and using the curtains to do something like this? Love the colors!
  • 11 years ago
    My daughters room is also this same color scheme. I purchased heavy silk taffeta striped curtains and a modified champagne zebra patterned rug.

    My suggestion would be to pick finishes that will stay with her for a few years. While the traditional girly options are tempting she'll grow sick of the "baby" look faster than you think. You want things that you can either use in other areas of your home later or that she will still like 10 years from now.

    Good luck.
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    @dlanier1 - Beautiful room! Thank you for the pictures, they're such an inspiration. Enjoy your baby girl!

  • 11 years ago
    Butterflies large ones
  • 11 years ago
    break up the green and go 3D on wall art
  • 11 years ago
    break up the green and go 3D on wall art
  • 11 years ago

    Hey guys, you have helped me a lot with decorating my new house. Now is time to finish my living room and dining room. Right now it is an empty space. Please whenever you get a chance jump on my living room design dilemma:

    [https://www.houzz.com/discussions/sos-empty-living-room-help-me-make-this-space-inviting-dsvw-vd~3101353[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/sos-empty-living-room-help-me-make-this-space-inviting-dsvw-vd~3101353)

    @flair lighting @decoenthusiaste

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    I ended up buying these curtains, because I loved them so much.
    Actually this is an old pic of the room.
    My next challenge is that my 3 yr old doesn't want to sleep in her crib anymore.
    She sleeps in the futon on the long wall but we need to convert the crib to a full bed ASAP. The futon is not really comfy even with a memory foam topper.
    Any advice where to put the full bed? I can't put it where the crib is now because of the heater. Which option will look best; full bed where the futon is or where the dresser is?
    I' ordered an ivory shag rug, 5x7 if that helps taking a decision. Thanks guys!

  • 11 years ago
    That is looking so good love the layout and the curtains and returning the other rug was the best thing !!