Software
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_7067431

Placing an offer on this house with NO CURB APPEAL! Suggestions?

11 years ago


Comments (19)

  • 11 years ago

    Back of house is so much sweeter. Metal siding-roof is less than 15 years old. Obviously the Front needs that vine removed and some landscaping. I wonder what is possible to add to front exterior it to give it some curb appeal working with the siding and roof?

  • 11 years ago

    HI again!!!!. I think that even if is not your victorian is a lovely house. I see plenty of appeal already. The shrubbery needs a good pruning, I would rethink the vine climbing on the house and i will paint the house in a slightly darker shade that it is to create a bit of contrast. I would remove the walkways or planting beds that lead nowhere and create the strange V in the garden. Other than that, a pretty house and hopefully in better shape that the wee Victorian

    KåyMä-rie Liå thanked sacapuntaslapioz
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    You are on to something with the idea of removing the vines. I would definitely do this. How about painting the front door a beautiful brick red and adding iron railings to the steps up to the front door? That would add a lot. Charming house!

    KåyMä-rie Liå thanked Kari McIntosh Design
  • 11 years ago

    Maybe a small gable on the shed roof over the front door? Flowers boxes on the windows? Some way to make the entrance more visually appealing? It appears that they have enclosed the original front porch. HELP this poor old house!

  • 11 years ago

    So the siding is metal. then maybe is better to add contrast by painting the window trim and the roof trim. A good color on the front door: red, bright blue, or yellow. I would get some unpainted adirondack chairs and paint them in a very bright and saturated color: purple, yellow, red and place them under the small tree.

    If you can replace the chain link with a picket fence painted in a bright color too. they are unexpected and lovely. or in simple and classic white.

    If not grow a fast growing vine in the fence.

    Street view · More Info
    Street view · More Info
    Private Residence Capitola, CA · More Info


  • 11 years ago

    I think it is an appealing house. not much to do. once the pruning is done, you will see that is really lovely

    KåyMä-rie Liå thanked sacapuntaslapioz
  • 11 years ago
    The house has good bones - the overall architectural shape is pleasing and balanced. Add interest by simply painting the window trim and the front door. I think a soft sea-foam blue/green would look good with the neutral body of the house. The house has a cottage look - pick up on that vibe. Do a lot with landscaping - removing the hanging greenery, maybe changing the shape of the entry planting beds. Plant several trees in the front yard. Add pavers to the front porch, steps and walkway or stain all the concrete a mid tone brown or gray. If possible, remove the chain link fence. Let us see photos as you update the curb appeal!!
    KåyMä-rie Liå thanked Janie Burton
  • 11 years ago

    THANK YOU! Hayley, I DO like it :) I like the area, the yard and the sq. ft. It use to have a apartment on the top floor that they turned into a master suite. It could easily be converted back to a apartment as the separate meters are still in place and has a additional exterior door to the upstairs. It was built in 1910 and then modernized -yuck yuck-in the 1950's and in 2010. Unfortunately, all the interior charm from 1910 has been removed but really it is just replacing the baseboards and trim. I have quite a collection of solid wood doors from the 1910 era so I can totally see it redone to match the time period but not fussy victorian. Currently it is a contemporary look inside. The home is in excellent condition, not like the wee Folk Victorian! Yes to remove the chain link fence and go with a picket! Exactly my plan. YES to removal of those strange V shaped walk ways that lead no where! YES to the color on the doors and trim! Do you think a small gable on the shed roof would would add some interest and break up that roof line? I also wondered about extending the front top step [using Trex decking] to the right under the big window and adding railing? Waiting for the Realtor to phone to put in the offer!!

  • 11 years ago

    I can not tell you how much I APPRECIATE all of you! Thank you.

  • 11 years ago

    I doubt you need to think to add a gable now. update the easy stuff and see how it looks . It really has a very lovely yard. With a nice table under the trees and some lounge chairs, I can see you drinking lemonade in a warm sunday!

    KåyMä-rie Liå thanked sacapuntaslapioz
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    This home has so much potential! I would definitely focus on the landscaping first. First, I would remove the vines. Second, take a look in your planting bed and see what you want to keep. Then I would remove the rest. From the curb, it looks like that planting bed is full of weeds, and even though some of those plants are perennials, they don't hold any structure. I would defintely add some large/medium shrubs that will give the front landscaping some structure. Depending on where you live, I would recommend some hydrangeas, viburnums, lilacs, physorcarpus, or ivory halo dogwood, etc. Keep in mind to plant a balance of evergreen shrubs as well for some winter interest. Once the shrubs are in place, then sprinkle around the perennials for color! I would also recommend adding a railing, or widening/redoing that front pathway with some sort of paving. And I also love the idea of a brighter front door. You have a lovely home, can't wait to see what you do with it! Good luck!

    KåyMä-rie Liå thanked Kemora Landscapes
  • 11 years ago

    A red door will give it good chi. and of course you have to trim back that vine. I'd love a place like that to work with. Lucky girl!

    KåyMä-rie Liå thanked 99ways
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Kemora! You have read my mind exactly! What is your fee to create a landscape plan? The property is located in Colorado. I have never actually seen it but my daughter and SIL viewed it with my Realtor and took a lot of videos and photos. I am totally into front yard food gardens so will have raised beds and a English garden look. The back has a couple of fruit trees or at least there are three somewhere! It also has a underground sprinkling system. My daughter tells me that one can grow most anything there :) I LOVE to garden and I hate it when they have all that maintenance free desert landscaping which consists of covering everything with pea gravel.

  • 11 years ago

    99ways, Red is not my favorite color but I can see it with that gray. How about the seafoam green -blue green colors that janieburton suggested for good chi? I am going for the cottage look.


  • 11 years ago

    Daughter just informed the house is maybe "TAN" lol

  • 11 years ago

    Purchase offer submitted!

  • 11 years ago

    Good luck.

    KåyMä-rie Liå thanked sacapuntaslapioz
  • 11 years ago

    I'm glad you like as I think it could be a very cute house with a bit of work.

    People get too caught up in the idea of curb appeal IMHO. A well maintained yard is what's attractive. And that looks like it has that overall with the flower gardens in front of the house.

    The tree near the back of the house could be a problem as the roots could grow into the foundation, or even into water and sewer pipes.

    KåyMä-rie Liå thanked hayleydaniels