Software
Houzz Logo Print
lisaabz

Help!! Need Help with Finishing Kitchen

11 years ago


Hi:

I have waited 15 years to remodel my kitchen and I'm finally able to. I really want to make this a beautiful kitchen for my family. I have the cabinets in and countertop. I'm having problems deciding on the backsplash, lighting over island, and counter stools. The cabinets are painted BM dove white and the island black, the perimeter countertops are absolute black granite and the island is quartz. I'm going to paint kitchen BM Woodlawn Blue. I have thought about subway tile? or also I've thought about using beadboard for my backsplash and painting it maybe Woodlawn Blue also. I'm just not sure. Also, for island lights I thought of Lantern type pendants? Please help! I'm not sure if I'm on the right track. Need to finish this but can't make up my mind.

Comments (60)

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Since you are using (2) pendants and If you take your island length of 72" and divide by 5 (2 spaces for the pendants, (1) space between the pendant, and (1) space on each side of the pendant to the edge of the island) you are left with approx 14" so that is the target range for the diameter.

    If you like the Yorkville lanterns, they can be mounted as a semi-flush which would work over the sink. I don't recommend a full pendant for that space.

    lisaabz thanked Whispar Design
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    That is very good information. I'm so glad you let me know the proper size I need. I've been looking and I've narrowed it down to the following. Let me know which you think would go best. I have a polished nickel faucet and hardware. Or the Yorkville

  • PRO
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    I see you also have our Chadwick listed above? There is a new series in the Chadwick line coming in next week with seeded glass that is stunning.

    Chadwick Seeded Glass Pendant · More Info

    lisaabz thanked Whispar Design
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Also, how high are your ceilings?

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    My cabinets are almost just like yours with absolute black counters. I used soft black iron knobs from RH to tie them together. I also had the pulls at first but they looked off so I got all knobs. Love the look of herringbone for your backsplash.

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Just remember, the vintage bulbs are a neat look but do not provide good lumen output for a kitchen island, especially if you love to cook and use that as a main food prep!


  • PRO
    11 years ago

    First, I cant let you keep that light over the sink. So the next question is what did you add to the lighting, recessed cans? Then, I do not think you need two pendants in this space. on nice little chandelier would be sweet in this space. if you do two, i would go with clear glass and edison bulbs.


    lisaabz thanked User
  • 11 years ago

    You've done great job so far. Beautiful kitchen. I think a gray backsplash tile in either ceramic or glass would tie the beautiful stone on the island together with the stone around the perimeter. A marble backsplash would also be pretty and would offer you some variation in the colors of the tiles.Here are some pictures that may help you.

    Traditional Kitchen · More Info


    Kitchen VIew 3 · More Info


    Transitional Cottage Kitchen - Glenview, IL · More Info


    lisaabz thanked User
  • 11 years ago

    Love what you've done to your kitchen! So nice when you finally get what you want! I'd love to see you incorporate the island top in the backsplash, even if just above the stove. The black granite against your white cabinets is lovely, allowing you to add a minimal pattern there. I wouldn't put a busy pattern there as it visually makes the space look smaller. Consider something like these. Also love the black hardware. Just be sure to get extra as sometimes the finish wears off to reveal a brass base.

    As for pendants above the island - incorporate something with black wrought iron to tie everything together.

    lisaabz thanked Barbara Almandarz
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    I would definitely use an off-white matte porcelain subway tile to keep down on the glare. Lay in a running bond pattern with a light gray grout which will tie it in with the island. Use under cabinet LED lighting & match your pendants over the island with three smaller similar ones to the island over the sink. I would use a hand blown multicolored glass for the pendants. Choose all lighting in LED for long lasting bulbs & cooler (as in heat) lights. Ecological as well. How many stools will the island sit?

    lisaabz thanked sandradclark
  • 11 years ago

    I think if you choose to use the clear glass as pendant lights you will be unhappy with all the glaring light they will produce. This is another reason for using the matte finish for the subway tile. Do not use bead board as it will not give you the adequate protection you will need. Pick a print with both the colors of the pendants and the walls for Roman shades on the windows. Do not have them go straight across at the bottom, have a curve in them. You are a very lucky person & you will have a beautifully finished space.

    lisaabz thanked sandradclark
  • 11 years ago
    I'm someone who likes my stuff to really pop so I would suggest going to Lowes to check out there glass and steel bar style backsplash. it will keep you and your color scheme but really I had some pizzazz to your kitchen. by the way which looks very beautiful
    lisaabz thanked hollins908
  • 11 years ago

    Your cabinet hardware does not have to match your sink faucet. I would use a brushed nickel for the hardware. Use cup grips on the drawers & round knobs on the doors. I would also use stools with backs on them for comfort. You have not stated what the floor is. Take that into consideration when choosing stools. You won't want the feet to scratch the floor.

    lisaabz thanked sandradclark
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Ceilings are 9 ft. floor is oak hardwoods in a medium dark finish

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    should be able to get 4 stools in total 3 and 1 on the end

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    love your quartz island! what is the name?

    lisaabz thanked Brillante
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    It is Cambria Summerhill


  • 11 years ago
    Very nice so far. Awesome veining in the stone. We ran into the same issue with our kitchen-- considered subway in an ocean blue tone but we realized that the stone needed to be the draw for the eye. So, we decided on a white stack stone... Almost crystalike in texture. It added texture and balance to the design. In your case it might balance the look-- white vertical surfaces, black grey horizontal surfaces, and your black cupboards on the island anchoring the middle.
    lisaabz thanked peteyg32
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    i KNEW it was one of the new designs!!! wanted to see it somewhere other than cambria's photo! looks awesome.

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    The "general" rule for lighting over islands is 30"-36" above the counter plus 2" for every foot of ceiling height over 8'. When you are shopping for fixtures, the max height in your case should be about 30"

    lisaabz thanked Whispar Design
  • 11 years ago
    First of all I have thought a lot about this kitchen color pallet since this is the exact color combo I'm choosing for my home.

    I think because the cabinets are white with the solid color black granite you can get away with just about anything. You can go simple with a grey subway tile and it will be classic. You could also go a little bold with the glass tiles multi-colored or even mirrored backsplash if you want to be bold. Please see my pic examples.

    Lighting needs to match the scale of your island. I would not choose a big lantern style because your island is on the small side.
    lisaabz thanked Carrie Cody
  • 11 years ago
    Sorry I didn't realize in my last post all of my pictures weren't uploaded
    lisaabz thanked Carrie Cody
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    thanks so much! I love them all!! I'm thinking I like the gray subway tile the most! But I also like the one beside it that has black and white mixed in.


  • PRO
    11 years ago

    peteyg32. Do you have a picture of your kitchen that I could see what it looks like as a backsplash I think I might like that.

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    This is a great discussion with so many good ideas. We think you've done a great job so far on your kitchen! We agree with classic subway tile for the backsplash. We'd pull out one of the colors from your island Cambria Summerhill top for the backsplash color, as they are all very neutral and light. We agree with a pendant for the sink area and that it should be smaller than island pendants. We also recommend keeping the paint color for walls more neutral than Woodland Blue. You may not know, Cambria has a Benjamin Moore program where they provide you BM paint colors to coordinate with your Cambria top. We'd recommend going to their website, cambriausa.com and checking it out. One of the colors could be your backsplash tile and another could be your wall color. For cabinet hardware, we recommend brushed nickel, but the oil rubbed bronze works too. Good luck, you are on your way to a gorgeous kitchen!


    lisaabz thanked Kitchen Design Partners, Inc.
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Thanks so much for being so helpful and the great information. It really helps me a lot. I will definitely take a look at the Cambria website and see what colors they recommend! :) I will post when I get more. Thinking about oil rubbed bronze hardware, would you go with the darker orb?

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    orb on the white cabinets, and satin drawer pulls on the island.

    lisaabz thanked User
  • 11 years ago

    Since you have a lot of neutral colours and your paint colour is fairly light I would add some brighter and/or darker blue tiles for the backsplash. Maybe a variety of colour and materials like glass, ceramin and stone. Something like this. https://www.houzz.com/products/modern-mosaic-tile-prvw-vr~7699075

    lisaabz thanked Olivia Beckershoff
  • 11 years ago

    As far as lighting I would go with 3 simple glass pendants. For the stools perhaps something simple in steel that is a similar finish as your appliances.

    lisaabz thanked Olivia Beckershoff
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Since everyone is concurring with ORB for the hardware, here is a link of some mini pendants that I think would look great! I do agree with the clear/glary issue, but a lot our clients like the look, so there are a few in this list. :) http://illuminationslighting.xologicstore.com/lighting-fixtures?oiv=370571

    lisaabz thanked ILLUMINATIONS LIGHTING
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    stick with two clear glass pendants, a bit over sized, with satin nickle to match appliances and faucet...

    kichler's series would look great.

    lisaabz thanked User
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    do you have a picture of those flair lighting?

  • 11 years ago
    Love the lay out. Definitely get the wall finished. I think some nice grey sheer curtains would nice on the windows as a start.
  • 11 years ago
    Also I would say a chandelier over top of your island along with a glass bowl and fake fruit in it would be very nice.
    lisaabz thanked Daneisha Stevenson
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Can't wait to see what you all come up with! I love these that are nickel: http://illuminationslighting.xologicstore.com/lighting-fixtures?oiv=370671

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    kichler

    there are several sizes and there is a model with clear seedy glass (mouse over to zoom)

  • PRO
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Yes, those would be beautiful! Those are about $217.00. A little pricier, but Kichler is well worth it! I just realized I had that in my link as well! LOL!

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    you can find them for less then that, if you have a lighting gallery near you other wise, not sure which one, but i can order them for you for less than that.


  • PRO
    11 years ago

    send me the link to the size and shape you like.


  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Flair I didn't see a picture ? Could you resend?

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    @lisaabz, you can click on the word "Kichler"

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Yes, we can order them for less as well, I just wanted to remain compliant with IMAP policies. Kichler is our main brand and don't want probation. ;)

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    charge the sale......geez @ILLUMINATIONS


  • PRO
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    I'm sorry. You were the one to undercut IMAP pricing. smh @flair lighting. You are a showroom. You should know better.


  • PRO
    11 years ago

    I didnt give a price, I suggested I could get it for less if she contacted me. Trust you/me I understand IMAP, Im sure you would and DID offer it to her for less. thanks Ill leave this thread now. I didnt want the sale. I was suggesting if you read back that she contact a local show room.


  • PRO
    11 years ago

    also, wouldn't you rather have her buying from a showroom than online.....?


  • PRO
    11 years ago

    I don't believe this is the place for a discussion flair lighting. If you'd like to discuss further you can find my email on our website in my links. My name is Penny.

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Please accept my apologies lisaabz. This is NOT what I was intending to happen. I'm terribly sorry.